ad: cq2k-1

New End-Fed MFJ-1982lp 80-10m Overview and On-Air Test

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Sep 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a video showing the new MFJ end fed HF antenna. What can I say, it works..
    I didn't remember to bring my analyzer today, so the next video i will sweep it and show results at a different location.

SUBSCRIBE to HRC
    LIKE on facebook

Attached Files:

K4OCY likes this.
  2. KF7WMM

KF7WMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the video...I have the same type of antenna by myantennas.com...I live in a restricted QTH,this type of antenna works far better than the various random wires and 9:1 ununs I was using..Mine is 38' vertical then slope to peak of roof,130' overall,grounded at transformer with two ground rods,couterpoise/radials made no change,I tried them..Internal tuner on Yeasu 450D tunes all bands,80 thru 10...These antennas make some guys head explode saying they can not work..They are not Steppir's on a 100' tower but for a compromise they are hard to beat..I know,the coax shield has to be the other half...Using 75' of RG 213 I have no rf problems..In todays conditions I have worked Japan to Moscow,Antarctica to Fairbanks on 100 Watts,so for a restricted QTH it's just fine for me,Bob/KF7WMM

AD5WO, F4HPX, W0AEW and 5 others like this.
  3. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not fond of MFJ, but this may work for camping.

4. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a lot to be said about MFJ.........hold on a second and let me think..........

KK6QMS and K3RW like this.
  5. WA3QGD

WA3QGD Ham Member QRZ Page

well if u wish to develop the necessary skills in frequent repair and maintenance,you have chosen wisely,not an issue radiating a signal,getting into stuff and keeping it in the air...

6. AA4EZ

AA4EZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any article about MFJ always brings out the MFJ bashers. All my MFJ items work as advertised. If you do not like their products, do not buy them, the rest of us do not care about your opinions.

W4KVW, N9PDL, K2WPM and 24 others like this.
  7. W7CHW

W7CHW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have similar one EFHW-8010 Multi-Band End Fed Half Wave Antenna Sloped from 40-20 ft. S.E to N.W. axis
    Resonant on 80/40/30/20/17/15/12/10m
    Get better reports than my G5RV.

K8NIV and AD5WO like this.
  8. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

There are better made end-feds by just about an other company than MFJ. At similar or better price points too.

I like MFJ products, not their quality control. They suckered me in at a price point--I have learned that I may have to buy it twice.

Does this antenna use stainless steel hardware? Is this THNN wire that will have the jacket peel off in a year? Is the balun made with stainless hardware?

Those are the difference makers I've found between MFJ and the others. They didn't invent the end-fed, and for about $1 in parts and a couple more dollars in better wire they could (but choose not to) make products with durability issues. This antenna may not be one of them, though I suspect it is.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  9. F1RAF

F1RAF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have compared EFHW-8010 (which looks very similar to MFJ) versus full size inverted V wire dipoles (all antennas had their top 14 m off the ground) on 80/40/30/20 m with a WSPRlite beacon. Results were quite interesting: similar on 80 m, slightly lower on 40 & 30 m, rather poor on 20 m. No testing was possible on the upper bands for obvious reasons linked to the end of solar cycle 24.

10. KF6HAP

KF6HAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Find out just who MFJ is and a little about him. Very interesting. All of my MFJ stuff works well. My ant analyzer is 25 years old.

N5YSW, AD5WO, KK5R and 1 other person like this.
  11. N4DSP

N4DSP Ham Member QRZ Page

AA4EZ I like the way you think.

W4KVW, KG6BXW, WG9I and 2 others like this.
  12. NE2B

NE2B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I only have a few MFJ products. They all work well. I like that if anything goes wrong in the first year they'll take care of it, but I've never had a problem.

W4KVW and N2NH like this.
  13. N3AFS

N3AFS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Also consider LnR Precision's EndFedZ wire (Zepp) antennas. They are stoutly constructed and perform very well. They have single band models and multi-band models capable of handling 100 watts. Trail Friendly multi-models are also available for portable QRP operations.
    Like all Zepp wire antennas, these "EndFedZ" and the MFJ model(s) utilize "common mode current" on the outer side of the coax shield. Keep the antenna feed line away from any metal objects and the antenna itself away from other antennas. Properly adjusted and tuned you should not need to use a tuner for the LnR Precision multi-band EndFedz wire antennas. SWR will be lower than 2:1 and on most bands 1.5:1.

14. N3AFS

N3AFS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had my MFJ 949e tuner for over 15 years and it still works well. With my faithful home-brew 40 meter folded dipole that's constructed and fed with 300 ohm twin-lead, it terminates into an MFJ balun and from there RG-8X coax. Like the MFJ tuner, the balum is a wonderful performer.

15. AE5MA

AE5MA Ham Member QRZ Page

This hobby can get expensive, and simply put, if it wasn't for Martin Jue many couldn't afford this hobby. I use MFJ products and they work as advertised. The more experience we get in radio we learn where and what to buy, just like in any other purchases we make.

N2NH and KI6IPO like this.