ad: elecraft

Xiegu X5105 New QRP HF/6m Portable Transceiver Complete Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Sep 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is the video I kept telling you about. The new Xiegu X5105 HF/6m QRP battery powered transceiver with built in automatic antenna tuner.
    A lot to cover in this video, and a couple more videos to come.
    PLEASE leave your comments on the section in the video.
    LIKE for the video, not the product :)
    SUBSCRIBE to HRC

Attached Files:

KK5R, KE4YMX and 9A6R like this.
  2. AF7EC

AF7EC Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the X1M for a while and was very unhappy with it. Hopefully the X5105 will be better. Will keep an eye on this one. :cool: Thanks for the video!

KT5OT likes this.
  3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Just googling for it, it looks to be $649 from eBay? Any dealers? Support?

Your video is more of a basic functional review - which is fine - a complete review, IMHO, would include objective performance measurements. How does this radio perform - IMD spec, RX specs (filtering, DR, BDR, etc). $649 is not cheap by any means, I'd take a risk at $299 perhaps to see for myself, but at $649 I'd want to see dealer support, a performance review, etc. I bought a IC-703 for about the same price with a proven track record, and manufacturer support. When I saw "Complete Review", I was expecting a tear down, measurements, etc. Just saying...

Just some feedback, your videos are well done, and you obviously are enthusiastic about what you're reviewing, but they don't seem all that critical, more of an advertisement or informertial extoling the virtues, not a trully critical review. In the first 60 seconds you state that it "really impresses me", and that pretty much gave away the rest of the video - you are a fan of the radio (You say "pretty cool" and "pretty incredible" several times - not very objective!) You discussed an issue about removing external power while tranmitting could DAMAGE the radio - WTF?!? That is a pretty critical issue that you mentioned, but that was about it! Some real critical paramaters for a portable, battery operated rig would be RX power draw - how effecient is it? My 703 would draw a few hundred mA on recieve, the Elecrafts are even lower, IIRC.

Ask yourself what you don't like about it and include that in your review. What could thety have done better?

My take after watching your video is it lookst to be a good form factor for a portable QRP rig, but that's about it. There are a list of open questions - performance, power draw, support, battery size, weight, RX architecture, etc. CW performance? @ 5W portable, CW is going to the the mode of choice.

Looks interesting, but I have lots of questions...

Thanks!

Steve
    KV6O

KL7KN, AK5B, K7YB and 6 others like this.
  4. KF7DS

KF7DS Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great points Steve...the price is very high relative to a supported full HF rig such as the Yaesu FT-891

Don

K7YB, KE0EYJ and NU4R like this.
  5. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks to be a nice little rig but still not really on par with the Yaesu FT-817 for roughly the same price. FT-817 has long track record, full support, etc. etc....

AK5B, K7YB, N6ALT and 1 other person like this.
  6. KJ6TQ

KJ6TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

So, if the radio loses power while the operator is transmitting, then the radio gets fried?!?!?! Really???? FAIL!!!
    I'd have a graveyard of dead equipment if that was the case with my other radios.

AH7I, AD0JA, K7YB and 1 other person like this.
  7. KE4YMX

KE4YMX Ham Member QRZ Page

i'm not too keen on that external power bug; if ext pwr is intermittent while TX the inboard Batt ruins the circuit. Mmm not good.. I'm sure they will fix that on the coming models. i do like the onboard ATU, that's a nice feature. I respect the yaesu 817 of course, amazing proven radio, but because of all the added features I think the x5105 is more comparable to the K3, right? Keep in mind that the X5105 comes with a full range of filters already installed. How much would that added cost be on the K3,, or on the 817? So far i'm happy with my x108g and like the added power,, but the X5105 I don't think will be in my shack until they get ALL the bugs out..

KK5R likes this.
  8. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Though I think a lot of the FT817, technology is old as this is a SDR, not in the same ball park. On the other hand, it is starting to approach a kX-2, which IS up to date technology, a known product and has good support.....did I forget to mention it is made in the USA?

HB9FXL, K7YB and NU4R like this.
  9. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Meaning if you disconnect external power while transmitting. Just mentioning because believe it or not, there are people that do not know how to operate a radio. I try to cover thousands of questions, because in this hobby on YouTube that has become a full time job by answering emails and comments. You have to remember, if you may know how to operate a radio successfully, there are thousands that are new. Thanks for your comment. More importantly, thanks for the time you watched this video. 73

VA1TIM likes this.
  10. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe interested in trying at half that price. Just add a little more $ and get something much better.

W7MY, WD4IGX, K7YB and 2 others like this.
  11. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, one of the little LNR's come to mind.

12. KJ6TQ

KJ6TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Your videos are awesome, and I enjoy watching them. Keep 'em coming! And my frustration is aimed at the manufacturer, and not at you. You're just the messenger.
    There are many reasons that an external power source can fail. If at home, if the power supply is not plugged into a UPS and there is a power failure, it fails. If you blow a fuse, it fails. If the power cord gets accidentally yanked out, it fails. And if any of these aforementioned things or countless others happen while transmitting, then the radio is fried!?!? I'd be scared to ever run it on external power because in life, stuff happens to even the most seasoned and experienced hams.
    It does seem like this is something that can be coded into the firmware, and it should be asap. It's sad, because after watching your video, I really, really, REALLY want one of these! So, I'm not ranting just to rag on the manufacturer. It's more like frustration because this probably will keep me from getting one. I suppose I could resolve to never run it on external power (at least while transmitting). But, at the same time, why should I have to?
    If you have an open line to the manufacturer, can you please forward this concern to them and find out if/when they will code a fix into a firmware update? If they do, then I have a feeling that this may just be my Christmas present to myself this year :)
    Thanks again.

KK5R likes this.
  13. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Japanese VS Chinese at the same price... No contest. Japanese wins hands down.

AD0JA and WD4IGX like this.
  14. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

$650? Mohahahahahahaha! What a joke!

Seriously, it's everything a QRP ham might want at a price he can't afford.

15. F4VQW

F4VQW Ham Member QRZ Page

KC1UA and KK5R like this.