ad: CQMM-1

Build your own 9:1 unun antenna on the cheap!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Aug 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Building the popular 9:1 unun antenna based on the popular EARCHI antenna design. An antenna that works relatively well with an internal tuner for 40-6 meters.

A popular antenna for portable ham radio operations or even multi - band operation at home. Assembled this one for less than $20, but it can probably be done cheaper if you have existing parts/container.

Toroids can be found at hamfests, online retailers (Amazon, Palomar Engineers, eBay, etc), and many other sources. Plastic enclosures can be found online as well. Our local Frys carries the plastic/metal enclosure for electronics projects. Save yourself a few dollars and build one of these popular multiband antennas!

[​IMG]

K5ACL

KK5R, N5NSN, N4GST and 3 others like this.
  2. KD9AUY

KD9AUY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have done the same thing ,it was nice of them to post the bill of materials and assembly instructions, we did it as a club project many were made, and used on field day . If you lengthen the wire you can tune up a couple more bands. Good job 73 de KD9AUY Stan

F4HVY, N4GST and W5KV like this.
  3. K4QM

K4QM Ham Member QRZ Page

Where is the B/M?

Clayton N4EV

KG7LSD likes this.
  4. N5EKF

N5EKF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just received a balun kit from The Wireman. I was expecting a completed one but I guess I should shop with my glasses on. I was trying to figure out how to build in a section of PVC pipe. Think I will go with the square enclosure like you did but use a different mount and eye bolts to attach dipole legs. Good video. It was most helpful!

Cheers Mate,
    Elmer N5EKF

N2LJN, N4GST, KD9AUY and 1 other person like this.
  5. KT5OT

KT5OT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

bruce beckett with maple leaf studios builds a 250 watt baun in 1 1/2 pvc pipe with caps on each end. mine has 117 ft. #14 wire and tunes 160-10 with internal tuner

N4GST and KD9AUY like this.
  6. NJ1S

NJ1S Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice QRZ profile. I enjoyed reading your information. I think citizen band frequencies were very popular in the 70's, hihi. 73

KD9AUY likes this.
  7. N1RAP

N1RAP Ham Member QRZ Page

It is the left red wire to the antenna terminal?? The right one you already shorted with left black ??

8. W0CC

W0CC Ham Member QRZ Page

Several years ago, our club, KOANT, built similar units as a project. We used 29 feet of wire
    for a radiating element and no counterpoise, relying on the feed-line shield common mode.
    With this antenna, usually in "field day" conditions, we have worked all continents. I have
    over 100 QSO's using 2.5-5 watts on my FT-817. I have no difficulty tuning 6-40 meters
    with a Z-817. I am building a second UNUN with a 59 foot radiating element for the 80
    meter band. Surprising, it really works well and is ideal for QRP outdoor events.

N4GST and KD9AUY like this.
  9. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

I still keep an EARCHI wire in the car. Had extensive success with this type of antenna in the early days, but found it only works well as a vertical. It is considerably down on a 1/4 vertical, as one might expect given its convenient single wire design (which, in turn, is its 'strength') As a horizontal or sloper, and even with lots of ground gain, I found it quite poor. You can get a -30dB S/N report on WSPR to some distant shore, but whether that makes the antenna useful in practice is another question.

Overall, whilst it's a fine multi-band solution at essentially zero cost, it's certainly a compromise antenna. That is very different from saying it is not worth trying.

W9GOS, W5KV and KE0EYJ like this.
  10. W5KV

Thanks all. My next video will be on experimenting with a 'multi-ratio' balun from Palomar Engineers called the 'CUBE' a 2.25:1, 4:1 & 9:1 unun. Interested in showcasing the analyzer results by switching between the different ratios!

Love building these little guys!

K4DMZ and K3AN like this.
  11. KC5MO

KC5MO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent video!

W5KV likes this.
  12. VA3QR

VA3QR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got 2 of these, and one of them is wound with #10 solid-core around a big donut for QRO. Great solution for random wires!

W5KV likes this.
  13. W5KV

KK5R likes this.
  14. W5KV

I may have got my left mixed up with right there, but hopefully show where the wires go?

15. KZ5R

KZ5R Subscriber QRZ Page

You need to be careful with toroid selection. For instance, the toroid used in the EARCHI unit is iron powder not a ferrite mix and consequently requires many more turns to achieve the correct transformation. If you were to use say a mix 43, then the number of turns required would be less. A good example is our model 9130 which uses a low loss ferrite and only requires 5 turns to achieve ideal transformation across the entire HF spectrum.

Bob KZ5R, Balun Designs LLC

K0UO, KK5R, OH2FFY and 2 others like this.