ad: Radclub22-1

Ham Radio 360: Extra Class Upgrade with W4EDF

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4CDN, Aug 22, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4CDN

K4CDN Ham Member QRZ Page

Some Very Interesting Discussion.
    If you've missed the podcast episode, you can listen here

2. K3CRM

K3CRM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It took me 45 years just to take the Extra. Passed it last month finally, HIHI! So now I have lots more band of static to listen to. Hope to meet you on air. TNX.

K2MOB likes this.
  3. K3CRM

K3CRM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a no-code ham too but all I use is CW on HF. I don't even like electronics and radio. I just like to BS and talk to people. Turns out I love morse code and need my fix of it daily.

I think that when you tell someone they don't have to do something like learn CW, they want it more! I hope there is a resurgence in morse code use.

4. KE0DNZ

KE0DNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Getting your Extra - or General, or even Technician - is the beginning, NOT the end!

The license simply signifies that, as others have commented, you've demonstrated the minimum required knowledge to pass the test.

That's the START of your learning.

There's no question that it's easier to be a ham these days than it used to. The dropping of the Morse code and the proliferation of inexpensive Chinese radios have opened the world of ham radio to a LOT of people that might not have had the opportunity to do so otherwise. Hopefully, that's a good thing...

My own background might be a little different than other hams. Back in 1976 - I was 15 - I got my Third Class Radiotelephone License, and I'd studied for my Second and First Class licenses, but never got around to taking the tests (I was in broadcast radio for many years). I was aware of ham radio at the time, but I didn't have the money to get into it, nor did I have the self-discipline to master Morse (it was always kinda daunting, for some reason), so my interest went on the back burner for many years.

Back about 2-1/2 years ago, I was told about cheap Chinese radios like the Baofeng UV-5R, and I realized that it was no longer prohibitively expensive, so I could finally get into ham radio!

I took my Technician test and squeaked by, pretty much based on what I already knew from my earlier license. At the same time, getting 8 wrong on that test told me that I had a LOT to learn!

So I learned.

I took my General test earlier this year (and studied); passed it with only 1 wrong!

I studied for my Extra, and in April, passed with 5 wrong.

A good part of the reason that I wanted to get my Extra was so that I could become a VE (waiting for my certification to be official), so that I could help get new people involved. I've already gotten a few people interested, which I feel good about.

I'm also in my local ARES chapter, and learning everything I can about emergency procedures.

Do I know everything about ham radio, since I'm an Extra now? Absolutely not, nor do I make any claims that I do. At the same time, I can answer most questions that the less-experienced people have.

My next project is going to be learning Morse code, so I can do CW; it's going to take some time, to be sure, but once I get myself up to a respectable speed, I'll probably be doing that at least occasionally (a couple of the CW guys in my local club are going to help me). I'm also starting with a straight key, not paddles...

For young hams - and even freshly-minted Generals and Extras - the whole point here is to LEARN, LEARN, LEARN!

Even if you don't think you'll ever use modes like, say, PSK31 or JT65, learn about them anyway! What you learn WILL be useful; the more knowledge you have, the better! For example, at Field Day, I helped point an antenna at satellites on 2 meters; now I'm thinking about getting an Arrow of my own and tracking them myself!

If you're new, you WILL make mistakes; we ALL do! With experience, though, it's less of a worry.

Now jump in and have fun!

73's,

-Bob / KE0DNZ

5. W3CWT

W3CWT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I did read that right didnt i? Saying extra class is a waste or did that go over my head? If it did i apologize.

6. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting and heartfelt discussions back and forth, as usual over licensing, CW, and other related topics. For what it's worth, those complaining about "the good old days" might consider that for the 1922 license, "Applicants were required to demonstrate technical expertise in adjusting and operating equipment, and a knowledge of International Conventions and US laws . The code requirement was ability to transmit and receive in the Continental Morse at least 10 words per minute and recognize important signal usage of the day (distress and "keep out" signals)." (This from http://ac6v.com/history.htm) Does anyone want to "demonstrate" before an inspector?

Things change, maybe for the better, maybe not. Spins used to be required for a pilot's license (and in fact I just had a lesson practicing them), but that ended decades ago. Commercial licenses once required applicants to draw circuits. Maybe changing a tire or charging a dead battery should be part of a driver's license exam. And don't get me started on what new parents, home owners, and loan applicants should know. But it is unlikely that these practical skills will be instituted.

Personally with no electronics background I went to 20 wpm Extra, then got all the commercial tickets. Never used any of the latter, or CW either, though I've been working on getting the code back. Did them all as a challenge and learned a heck of a lot. And if someone upgrades for more privileges in this wonderful hobby, why not? Have fun on the air and keep learning. We need enthusiastic people out there. Code is a tool, like anything else, and if you can legally get where you want to be without it, fine. Just know it is there for you to try.

KG5THG and KM4MD like this.
  7. ND1SU

ND1SU Ham Member QRZ Page

I know, off topic, but....if you think American ham radio regulations are illogical, try American corporate tax law. I am back in school studying accounting, and I had to take a course in that. I never wanted to be a tax accountant, and after taking that course, I really never want to be a tax accountant....

8. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It happens I am much more accountant than an electronics engineer, hi hi.
    I just wanted to say that law texts is something to be memorized and not really to understand. The logic is somewhere probably as there is lot of different stuff covered...
    but the bands or power limits are something rather to be memorized as this is difficult to deduct... from where? There is no any formula for that.
    Accounting is btw a kind science with lot of rules and lot of logic as a mechanics but tax regulations may give you a headache for sure, especially when they change all the time or applies retroactively...
    More the system is complicated, more wealthy are the tax accountants... but I am not tax accountant.

9. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

True. I have recently learned CW, and for the past month have been working CW only. I love it so far. And no one "made" me do it!

F4HPX likes this.
  10. N4AWP

N4AWP Ham Member QRZ Page

Study and do it for YOURSELF! Doesn't matter what anyone else says or thinks. Not having to worry about being out of band is a lot of peace of mind.. GL

K2MOB likes this.
  11. F4HPX

Yes, one more reason!
    But if your transceiver is "open" in frequencies then you will have to worry about it whatever license level. But then we speak about outside amateur bands rather than internal band plan.
    Half of mine gear came unlocked already when purchased (new and even not requested for) , so the band limits is something I never forget.

12. K7LRC

K7LRC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A lot of good points here, and some not so productive. I'm a new HAM in my 50's and had to put in some work to get all three tickets, even being an EE. It was a great refresher and opportunity to learn more about HAM radio, a life-long goal of mine. It was about setting a goal and achieving it. Times do change, and we need to accept that. And here I sit, looking at my glorious modern-day transceiver, proudly positioned next to a few 60's and 70's boat anchors. The new and the old can get along just fine! This is a great hobby, no matter how far you take it, CW or not. Peace.

N8XTH, K2MOB, K7BJS and 1 other person like this.
  13. K7BJS

K7BJS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I really like this reply!
    I was a novice back in the 80's, and due to Life dropped ham altogether.
    In the October of 2015, for another reason, I earned my Tech License, by March 0f 2016, I earned the Amateur Extra License.
    The gentleman here is correct, in the study habits and information retention. It is amazing how much we can forget in a short period of time
    I used the Gordon West program, to guide me through the rough spots.
    I respect the older hams, however, I have no real interest in CW, PSK, nor the digital modes, other than maybe some Satellite / LEO stuff.
    Go as far as you can go as soon as you can and enjoy the hobby.
    I too became an ARRL-VE and W5YI-VEC, just to try to give back a little.

K7LRC likes this.
  14. F4HPX

As promised I give a feedback after passing my Extra ticket Today.
    Took a test with VE France and passed all three exams without much difficulty ...but with a lot of stress :).
    So what I can say to other candidates ? Don't give up... you can study books or question pool. With the books you will get more understanding for sure and anyway a solid background doesn't hurt.

Next target will be re-learning Morse code although there is no more any deadlines so self-motivation will be crucial....

73 Thomas

KE0EYJ, K2MOB, KG5THG and 1 other person like this.
  15. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, it appears my December test is cancelled. Need to find another. May be 6 months, here in Seoul.