ad: Flexradio-1

Ham Radio 360: Extra Class Upgrade with W4EDF

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4CDN, Aug 22, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In this reality we need to always remember why we are involved in this wonderful hobby. I learned CW for example after the code requirement was dropped. Not to impress anyone, but because I wanted to do it. I find it fun and it is an on going process of improvement for me. I have been a general for about 11 years now. I will probably buckle down and upgrade soon because I would love to have access to the extra portions of the bands. However, I will still be seen as a "no code" extra. Meh,,,,so be it. During the years of enjoying CW no one on the air has ever called me a no code general lol.

But even if I had no interest in CW,,,, say I was into digital, AM or SSB. If someone wanted to judge me on weather or not I passed a test that has not been required for years, I think it may be better to find others to chat with.

N8XTH, W6QY, K3CRM and 4 others like this.
  2. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed Frode.

This is just an exam, a one more to pass if we want to. I do not have any electronics background and for CEPT/HAREC license starting from scratch I prepared myself with less than a month of reading some old books and doing tests exams (there were too many of them to learn the answers by heart and there is no any official list published). I simply booked the exam date in advance so I had a deadline and a challenge to achieve.
    Finally I found that exam quite easy and I obtained close to the perfect score (90%) in both regulations and technical parts.
    Do I know much more about electronics - probably yes, but not really because of the exam, but because I wanted to learn more - after passing it. Am I able to design or repair a transceiver ? Certainly not and this is not my target.
    That was simply an entry ticket to enjoy the hobby.
    Now, again I booked the exam date for October and that keeps me motivated to learn enough to pass it. As in the tips mentioned in the podcast the target is to pass that exam (actually 3 in a row) and not to become a RF engineer.
    I have already a job in different area and this is for a hobby and not for living. If at the occasion I will learn something new or simply refresh the knowledge I acquired before then already forgot that will be an additional benefit.

73 Thomas de F4HPX

K2MOB likes this.
  3. W5JPT

W5JPT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Being a "No code" Extra doesn't bother me in the least. I am the one sitting at my rig and not anyone else. I love the hobby and use it the way I like to use it. That is one of the beauties of Amateur Radio today. There is something for everyone. If I'm looked down on because I don't know code and have absolutely no wish to learn it, then so be it. If that is what bothers some, then they must not have any other problems in their lives to worry them.

WX4SNO, KG5THG, F4HPX and 1 other person like this.
  4. W4EDF

W4EDF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't help but think that these complaints about "no-code hams" are counterproductive to actually encouraging new hams to learn CW. Much of the argument that I hear comes down to complaints of a lack of experience in other areas, "I had to learn it, why shouldn't you", and so on. What I rarely hear from the detractors is encouragement as to why someone should still learn CW, and there are plenty of good reasons.

If you listen to the program, you will hear that my next goal is to learn CW. I'm already able to copy at 25WPM, though admittedly at a 5WPM spacing, and hope to interview a local Elmer for a future program on the subject. My goal with this interview wasn't about how you can easily breeze through the exam and get more privileges but instead was meant to encourage my fellow hams to open the book and study and not be discouraged by the material. The next time you hear me on the program, I hope to be encouraging my fellow hams to learn CW, and just like I did for the Extra exam, share some tips on how to go about it without getting frustrated.

Passing the exam for Extra didn't make me an expert but I learned a great deal while studying for it, more than I would have if I hadn't, and have been inspired to dig deeper into some of the subjects that interested me. My hope is that other hams are encouraged to do the same as they continue to learn more about the hobby.

W4EDF

WB9AZA, W9AFB, KU4X and 4 others like this.
  5. KD0WMO

KD0WMO Ham Member QRZ Page

And that is a big problem with ham radio. The old timers clinging to their beliefs that even today we should have to do it the way they did. If that was true the hobby would be dead. Do I really need to know all the internal parts and how they work to be a good amateur radio operator? Do I really have to memorize formulas that I may or may not ever use? I understand needing to ask questions to get a license but with today's radio's and technology the question pool is greatly outdated.

WX4SNO, W4POT and K2MOB like this.
  6. K2MOB

K2MOB Ham Member QRZ Page

If the FCC had continued with the old Extra class requirements and just up-dated them for the changing technology just how long would the hobby continue? It's hard enough today to get young people interested in radio without requiring them to know design and construction skills they are unlikely to ever use. While I'm sure some old school Extras have an advanced knowledge of microprocessor architecture and hardware interface along with superior skills in surface mount component construction, the hobby has moved far beyond the days of modified military surplus radios and other home brewed gear...

7. KG4QWL

KG4QWL Ham Member QRZ Page

Code verses no code? I heard some of the same things back when I did the 5 WPM general class test; the old timers wanted us to learn 20 WPM for an extra upgrade. Ham radio, like the rest of technology has moved on. 5 WPM is not that hard to learn, but I didn't get a say in all that. 20 WPM would have been difficult for me only because I do not use CW mode. You are only going to get to 20 WPM by actually using CW mode. One other note about hacking along on CW at 5 WPM on the air, it is like dragging your finger nails across a caulk board to people who actually do use CW. It is like having a conversation with someone who talks really, really slow and mumbles a lot. My Elmer had taken the 20 WPM code test in his day, and had the patience of Job. He was also honest enough to tell me just how bad I sounded.

I could sit on either side of the fence on this one; as Thomas stated, it is like music, and I must be tone deaf...

As far as where radio theory and today's extra class operators are; I was trained on radio gear from the Korean an Vietnam war era. I just found some time on my hands here lately because of an auto accident. It took me 9 days to caught up on the technology because I have a solid foundation in radio theory. I only missed three questions. In my opinion, what is lacking is the radio theory.

So, I think the real question we should be asking is: has radio technology surpassed the need for a solid foundation in electronic and radio theory?

I worked with radio operators in the Marine Corps as a Ground Radio Repairmen. After school, when I got out into the fleet, radio operators still didn't know how to fix radios, and I didn't always know how to hook what up to what to make things work. I had a lot to learn from them when I got off the tech bench. It was easy for me to pick that stuff up, and would have been near impossible for them to learn what I was taught in an OJT setting. Most times I was called out to the field to look at a piece of gear, the operator should have been able to figure out what was wrong: the broken gear was in the shop; the fixed ones were out in the field...

Now, don't think for one minute I am bashing radio operators because they were taught to call somebody when they had a problem; basic trouble shooting was not part of their schooling. Those are the kinds of things they were to pick up when they got into the fleet from seasoned operators. I saw plenty of gear in the fleet that I was never trained on, and I am sure it was the same for the operators. Also, I have seen plenty of folks in my field who struggled getting through school, and they just never caught up.

My experience tells me we need more radio theory at the general and extra class levels, and it needs to start at the tech class level with electronic theory. There is more to ham radio then just mashing down on a key--regardless of the mode you are operating in. The tech and general class tests are where the problems lie. The extra class license means little without being the end of a knowledge-based journey; it should not be just some elite privilege, or "golden ticket" one hangs on a wall in a man-cave somewhere. Testing wise, the band plan is just a carrot put in front of everyone's eyes; it is not used properly.

I don't have the answers. The more I learn, the more questions I have; but, I think that is the idea.

73's
    Chuck

F4HPX and K2MOB like this.
  8. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree about the extra knowledge learned from studying the ARRL license manuals. I entered the hobby at age 57 after becoming disabled in a accident in 2006, I remember at the time how much I enjoyed DXing on the CB bands in the 70's so finally decided to get a amateur license so I might have something to do while sitting around. I bought the manuals and studying for sometime then passed my Tech one month failed the Gen at that time by 3 questions and passed my general the next month. Then went to work on my Extra materials plus a lot of time in the library for advanced math and electronics books for 7 months then passed the Extra. I wanted the Extra portions of the bands because my main operating time was DXing

At the time had joined a local radio club and they had no one to test for no VE's, so I started a team to do so every month from then on had many new hams pass the tests.. After several years of listening I had heard enough from older hams who said any child could pass the Extra exam now. So I challenged 9 older Extras to take the exam, not surprised when only 2 from the group passed the exam and those just barely.

In my time as an extra I have built quite a few radios 4 in fact, amp and misc items for the shack the majority of it Elecraft gear very rewarding. Now I also know 11 older friends that had to pass the code exam and only a very few use it except once a year now straight key night. Most had switched to other digital modes even using the computer keyboard for CW these were 20-50 yrs. in the hobby.

When it's all said and done it boils down to a single fact, The License is only the start in a lifetime hobby as far as learning goes it never stops!

2E1LEX, WX4SNO, KG5THG and 2 others like this.
  9. K2MOB

K2MOB Ham Member QRZ Page

why upgrade to extra? - Because 52 years ago when I first started this hobby I set myself the goal of one day making Extra. It isn't about DX, it's about mastering a goal I set for myself...

WB9AZA, WD4DXQ, 2E1LEX and 4 others like this.
  10. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd say keep it as it was, 20 WPM. What irks me, is that people get their Extra for no work. The Advanced was chunked and so was code. Used to be the Extra was the gold standard of tickets. The Advanced was the harder test, but the code was the real jaw breaker. Why get the Extra? For me it was a challenge. Now, it's just another thing the ARRL got dumbed down for magazine sales. It doesn't matter though. CW is gone and the tests are child's play. I haven't turned on the radio but a few times in the last two months. Tired of listening to the HF version of Hee Haw.

11. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I don't see myself getting to 20WPM. I don't need Extra. I just did it because it was so easy under the current system. Actually, I hardly studied and passed it accidentally immediately after General, with the background that had gotten me a First Class Radiotelephone License 40 plus years ago. I think yours was the first suggestion I saw for keeping CW for Extra only. I would be OK with that. They could have "promoted" all Advanced to Extra. Then balance out the privileges a bit more proportionately realizing Extra was going to stay a more exclusive (less crowded) segment. I think that would have shown the old timers a bit more respect, and been met with a lot less resistance.

I think I have 1 total contact in any Extra segment of any band. Only because I went looking for it, because I could. This has been an interesting discussion among calm rational people. I wish we could do more of that here.

Glenn

12. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

The Extra portion of the band will get more crowded as time goes on. What was once a goal is now a gimme.

13. LA6VQ

LA6VQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I tend to believe that people still have to put som work into getting the Extra, and also that Extra is still some sort of "gold standard", if such a reference is appropriate for a test that never was a PhD in ham radio. And why should it irk you that license requirements change over time, as long as you know that you, after hard work, met the challenge and earned yourself a license of the highest esteem?

I won't argue that ARRL is influential in ham radio, but I seem to remember that it was ITU (a U.N. body with 193 member states, believed to be somewhat beyond the reach of ARRL) that decided to remove the morse code requirements for amateur radio in 2003. I believe it is still FCC that sets the license requirements in the U.S. FCC was actually late in removing the code requirement (in 2007), so it seems like ARRL's influence on FCC is weaker than the corresponding influence of amateur organizations in other countries on their licensing body (many countries removed the morse code requirement instantly in 2003). Frankly, I doubt that ITU and FCC had ARRL magazine sales in mind when removing the morse code requirement.

If the Amateur Extra is"child's play", why are there so few 10 year olds holding an Amateur Extra? And where are the babies and toddlers holding Technician and General licenses? I don't know your background or what you do for a living, but if you were to take the Amateur Extra test today, are you sure you would pass the test on the first few attempts?

One of the great things about a license is that it gives the holder permission to have a direct influence on what happens on the air. So, if you are unhappy with the HF Hee Haw, feel free to grab the microphone, the key or the keyboard to make what is heard on the airwaves just like you want to have it. And if succes in this aspect eludes you, why couldn't you build something, help others, get involved in your local club or emergency services, etc. There are so many aspects of ham radio, that there should be something that can please you. After all, there must be a reason why you returned to the hobby after being away for many years. As a 20 WPM Extra you are free to explore all bands, modes, powers, at home, portable, mobile, etc. Good luck in finding back to the pleasure of ham radio, and to create some.

N8XTH, KM4MD, K2MOB and 1 other person like this.
  14. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As I said before we do not have such problem here in Europe as a full CEPT/HAREC license gives all privileges (actually there is still a Novice type but not in all countries)
    so we can say at least in France you will get Amateur Extra or nothing and CW has been dropped too.

But we have other limits like PEP power - in France you have 500W from 1.8 till 28MHz, 250W on 28-30Mhz and 120W above.... nothing comparable with 1.5 KW on most bands in U.S. and even then within Europe
    this is not harmonized (400W in UK but up to 2KW in Portugal with some intermediate levels elsewhere).

Yes, for sure exams are passed easier today although the questions are maybe different.
    Exam system has been industrialized with tests that in US are published and easily available. You can learn the answers without really understanding them and pass it.

My friend and close neighbor F2QH created a website with his memories that is a great source of inspiration and info btw about the history of the hobby. He started building the radio gear in 50-ties when he was 13 or 14 yrs old
    and to pass the exam at age of 16 he had to present the station he actually built himself alone.
    The exam was held at home where an inspector of Post, Telegraph and Telecommunication Bureau was coming
    - you passed CW test on ability to copy but also to send (not sure about speed)
    - on technical side you had to explain how your transmitter was working, why did you chose this kind of VFO and not another one, how did you calculate the value of this or that component, what is the role of that capacitor
    and so on... the questions were coming from the head of inspector and not from the question tests pool.

Well this is completely another story, but CW was only a part of the difficulty, and you had really to understand the topic... nowadays we are much more an amateur radio operators to not say technology consumers.

Today things went very commercial as with any hobby having enough members that will justify to create a business for that. You are not even always getting the technical documentation of the gear you buy.
    And digging for documentation about licenses and tests I found several useful websites actually openly sponsored by gear makers...

We are now probably proud of different things than those entering into the hobby before: even a home-brew balun for next to nothing will make us proud when we see the price of some sold on the market.
    As inside there is the same stuff we put into our! Nice looking package with a shiny sticker ? Does it make a big difference? Before it was simply a black/grey box, now we know what is it and
    how it's working because we made it!

I m not saying all of us have to build own tranceivers. They unlikely will be on pair with the commercial one... although some new concepts in SDR actually may outperform the good analog ones and still recent.
    But this is becoming more IT challenge than a pure radio. Anyway with the development of the civilization and human made noise of all kind, especially in urban areas you don't really hear anything below S9 on 80 and 40m..
    So the good low noise receivers with modern DSP system are highly appreciated...

Someone interested exclusively in digital modes will not be attracted by CW so why to force him to learn it today.
    If he's motivated and there is no other way to get the license he will probably do it, but you will maybe never hear his call sign on CW segments.
    The others are working exclusively CW... and are maybe even afraid of the new technologies. Some are doing exclusively SHF stuff and playing with satellite/radar style dishes ...
    The scope is so wide that everyone can find his particular interest and be happy with it then to experiment as this is a big part of our hobby.
    If we need for that the Extra then we pass it if we can do it with Technician that's OK.

In my particular situation I want it because I am travelling often and like to make contacts abroad with new countries I never had opportunity to work from my own QTH.
    US have a several agreements in Americas which will allow to operate from there easily and, who knows, maybe my next work assignments may be in that region.

And, yes I do appreciate the existence of VE network, that greatly extends the possibility to pass the tests.
    Such thing does not exists here, but with a current population of 12.000 to 14.000 OMs you don't really need that - on the exam session I was alone to pass my test...
    and there is only one exam center around Paris area.
    A local "QST"-like magazine is publishing monthly all new call signs allocated with all names and addresses of the licensees - the list is very short on one part of a single column... for a 65-million nation.

73 Thomas

BTW I will let you know if I passed.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    K2MOB and 2E1LEX like this.
  15. LA6VQ

LA6VQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The argument of memorizing answers without understanding is a persistent one, but I believe it has little merit. Memory is closely linked to learning abilities, so I am hard pressed to believe that someone can memorize that much without at the same time being able to understand anything. At least, I have never heard of anybody with such a weird combination of abilities. If a candidate is able to answer correctly to most of the some 1400-1500 questions or so from the questions pools for Technician, General and Amateur Extra, I am confident that a candidate will have figured out a lot about ham radio. From FCC's pespective, I believe there is no risk allowing such a candidate to get on the air with full privileges.

With the online test results you mentioned yesterday, I would not be worried about passing the tests, Thomas. Good luck! :)

K2MOB, 2E1LEX and KG5THG like this.