ad: cq2k-1

Do You Operate 30 Meters? What Is 10Mhz All About?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Aug 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a big fan of 30m! seems to be open when other bands are closed, regardless of solar conditions etc.

2. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

Fun band. Lot's of modern digital going on there and some good ol' rag chew. Take a look at

http://www.30mdg.org/

3. W6BSD

W6BSD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for inviting people to use bands other than 40 and 20 meter. Also as you mentioned in you video, no one should trust these band conditions sites. Even with band closed I managed to make some interesting contacts. It seems that people now just loot at these sites and just give up without even trying to go on the air.

VK5GG and DL6BCX like this.
  4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

30 has always been a lot of fun. The propagation is quite often better than 20 meters at night, and it's a great place for transcontinental work in the daytime. The 30 Meter Digital Group is also on Yahoogroups, and has been promoting digital activity on 30 for many years. I haven't heard much FSQ activity lately, but it was particularly fun on 30 because it was essentially like having a big party line that covered the whole country in the daytime. Cool... I'll have to get down there and try some FT8.

5. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

30M has great propagation characteristics. The only problem is that it's only 50kHz wide. 10100kHz - 10600kHz would be nice! Even a 300kHz wide allocation would probably make it the most widely used HF band.

6. K6TB

K6TB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Every day that I turn my radio on, the first place I go is 30m. It's the band that got me my first Europe contact a couple years back. No talking on there, just digital work. Kind of evens the playing field for us guys that don't run amps since the limit is 200w. For me it shares the characteristics of both 40m and 20m. My favorite band - always will be!

7. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I found 30 in the mid 80's. My non terminated, half mile long beverage RX ant for 160 loaded up beautifully there. Currently have plans to build a 3 element Yagi for the band.

8. DL6BCX

DL6BCX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

30m band fine for me with my low power station here in Germany. Happy that there are no contests allowed and so i can use it at weekend and have not to fight through.

KG7VTO likes this.
  9. K2MMO

K2MMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am a big fan of 30 meters as it is active both day and night.usually my first choice for cow ragchews

10. K2MMO

K2MMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Big fan of 30 meters as it is active all the time great for cw ragchews

11. WA5PQL

WA5PQL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great for CW. A lot quieter and more stable during summer storms season in Texas

KI4ODO likes this.
  12. N8WXQ

N8WXQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

30m is great. I am just about ready to apply for 30m DXCC. Mostly CW.

13. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm wondering how many of you 30m operators had the distinction of operating on it the evening it had been opened for AMATEUR RADIO use in (as I remember in OCT. OF 1982?) I had quickly put up a simple 1/2 wave dipole that early afternoon and was pleasantly surprise with the amount of stations to be worked on that inaugural day !!! Here 30m is relatively QUIET as compared to 40 or 80, morning, noon & night, which for us is a blessing !!!

14. KD2RON

KD2RON XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video. Just but up a wire dipole to give it a try with cw.

15. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread inspired me to give it a try. Seems like in NC, it opens around 11 AM est to the neighboring states. Been up there several times making contacts.

KA1BSZ likes this.