ad: portazero-1

QRP Portable Antenna Hamsticks For 817/KX3/X108

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Aug 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have now started a collection, LOL.
    These telescopic hamsticks are not a new product, but if you don't know about them, or you doubt them, You can see some contacts in my videos using them, and more videos to come.

SUBSCRIBE to HamRadioConcepts
    LIKE and SHARE on facebook.com/hamradioconcepts

Attached Files:

K3FHP and N7BUS like this.
  2. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another twist on this, and possibly a better radiator is a dipole of hustler mobile antennas with appropriate resonators. My impression would be having a solid tubing vs. A thin coiled wire for the first four feet, the high current pâté of the antenna, the radiation efficiency would be better. It works for me(I use both haystacks and the hustler on occasion). The Haystack version wild be lighter though. What are tour thoughts?

3. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

My thoughts are that I want to have the smallest antennas in my go kit, not large dipoles. I like the idea of a tiny telescopic antenna, (or antennas) to bring along.

4. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

You can use these with an mfj-347 to make the hamsticks into a nice little dipole. Very narrow swr, but easy to tune so you can drop the lowest part of the swr right on the frequency you want. I have used them in both 40 and 20 meter. Not a bad little portable setup.

5. N0FPE

N0FPE Ham Member QRZ Page

I prefer the Buddipole...all bands in one antenna and breaks down to a small transportable size..and way more durable than the telescopic doodads

KC5HWB likes this.
  6. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a few of the single band models, have not used them much but was surprised with the performance when I tried them, yes, counterpoise wire is critical. Typically I go with an end fed wire with my KX2 to keep backpacking weight down, but like you stated, for quick set up, or other times when weight is not a factor, these little guys work pretty well. Thanks for the vid.

7. W9MRH

W9MRH Ham Member QRZ Page

Those MFJ-347's are just the ticket. Don't know how light they are though. I've had a pair on order from DXE for a month...................

8. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Man, I like your videos. I have subscribed!

I do have a question. With the terrific deal on the FT891 til the 31st. I have thought about getting that radio and this type of antenna. How would you adjust the swr to make sure it is not high? The 891 does not have any tuner.

kb4mng

https://www.gigaparts.com/yaesu-ft-891-hf-6m-transceiver.html

9. KM4CQG

KM4CQG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Eric

Future video utlizing these small whips and WSPR to show there performance vs other antennas for QRP work.

Like the Buddipole or Crank IR or any vertical or dipole you can gather.

This will eliminate me having to do this so thanks if you do.

Ian

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  10. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Alwwys better to adjust these for minimum swr and not rely on a tuner as they are a big compromise in efficiency already and using a tuner may make the radio happy but will not help the radiation one bit. A small portable analyzer that you should already have will get you close and if you are using cw or data the small bandwidth won't be an issue. As a last resort, using the built in swr mater on the rig at 5w should be sufficient. AND if using as a vertical, the counterpoise/good ground is a must(salt water is nice).

KC8VWM likes this.
  11. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Always looking for new ideas for portable antenna's. That's cool.

Thanks for the video.

12. NX1Q

NX1Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use 2 of them with the 347 mount on 20 and 40 meters. Bandwidth on 20 meters is actually quite good, if you ground the radio to the earth. I get about 250 to 300 k at 2.0 vswr or lower.

40 is not so great. 80 to 100 at >2.0.

Reception is great. Tx can bery good to excellent depending on your elevation above hillsides and trees. Another nice thing is you really don't need to put them very high if your spot is decent. I have had mine at 10 feet on kids day, and was getting out all over the place.

I'm very pleased with the performance, save the narrowness on 40. Buddi pole may be more versatile, but I think having about 14 feet in the air has to translate into better performance by a t least a bit. Buddi pole has what? 6 or 8 feet? Not sure.

13. NX1Q

NX1Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oops... forgot to mention that mine are the full size mfj hamtennas. About 7 feet.

14. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Although I'm building a portable moxon for the high bands, here is what I currently run with. Largest expense was a 12m (41ft) Spiderbeam fiberglass pole for around $110. The 1:1 current balun was around $25. The wire was not expensive.

This way, I don't have any compromises, and have a vertically-polarized signal with very low angle of radiation on 20m (my main DX band). I am resonant on 15m, 20m, and 40m. 17m is tunable.

Smokes a buddy pole, and for a lot less money, because it's not a compromise and it's 41ft high, at the top and 23 feet at the feedpoint!

spiderbeam 15 20 40 antenna.png

VE7JBT, KC8VWM and KK5R like this.
  15. WM1A

WM1A Ham Member QRZ Page

That's funny because I went to your QRZ page & the first thing I see is your Versa Tuner sitting up on your Ten Tec . . . .

VE7JBT likes this.