ad: elecraft

HamRadioNow: Eclipsing ARES

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Aug 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W6NYA

W6NYA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Something like this (pic below I captured in 2012), but pointed in our direction, would create far far more trouble with communications for us than any total eclipse. But the issues the eclipse will cause in terms of traffic, and overcrowding in portions of the path of totality could still be serious in some areas. I think the police and fire dept/paramedics will be busy. You are inevitably going to have people using binoculars to look at the sun, thinking they will only use them during totality--the danger is the moments just before or just after totality when they "think" they have judged the right moment to look. Those people are going to have a potentially irreversible medical emergency. The time after the eclipse being more hectic than the time leading up to it. You have potentially hundreds of thousands of people either traveling to the path of totality a few days in advance (those that could get overnight reservations) and then maybe even a greater number thinking they are going to be able to hit the road the day of the event and still be able to get there (good luck). Depending on where on the path you are talking about, the issue could be very minor or very major. Good luck to all and be safe. Looking at the sun without proper filtering WILL CAUSE PERMANENT DAMAGE TO YOUR EYES. If the eclipse is total where you are, it is safe to view the sun unfiltered ONLY for the 2 minutes or so of totality. Err on the side of caution, use filters right up until just after totality has started and begin to use then again before it has ended. DO NOT observe the sun with unfiltered binoculars or an unfiltered telescope unless during totality and if you are with someone who has the right equipment and knows what they are doing. If the eclipse is not total where you are, it is not ever going to be safe to view the sun without proper filtering. Even a 99% eclipsed sun can damage your eyes without proper filters.

Jim
    W6NYA

01sunnn.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    K6MFW likes this.
  2. K6MFW

K6MFW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm thinking hams would be useful for areas that have bridges and gathering points where traffic and people may choke certain points. An amateur radio person can give brief status, "traffic flowing normally" to "it is jammed for miles and nobody is moving." An example was when Ames Research Center had an open house, hwy 101 at times slowed to a crawl, the Caltrains station a mile away had people standing in a very long line. Hams stationed at these points can give a brief statement of these situations to ICP. At least then the organizers will know situation (let them decide if further action is needed).

There was another discussion on slashdot about cell service will go down in many areas. Someone commented, "so what if 4 million schmucks lose phone service for few minutes to a few hours. If they feel so important they cannot be without cell service, maybe they shouldn't go to these areas to watch the eclipse."

Also consider this is a rare event. Go outside, put away the cellphone, ignore the radio (unless there is a serious emergency and you mitigate and not complicate the situation), forget trying to get a perfect picture (astronomers will provide plenty of those). Experience how quickly it goes dark in the middle of the day, and the temperature drops. The sun will look very unusual (educate yourself on proper viewing techniques, there are many sites selling inadequate viewing glasses), the sky will be very dark and there will be a band of brightness on the horizon 360 around. Then it will go from night to day quickly, and everyone will be yapping about the eclipse.

3. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a human or a virgin human? Apparently we aren't in a more enlightened place since some seem to think that a couple of minutes of the sun being muted requires amateur radio operators to get out their HTs and put on hi-vis vests and pretend to be relevant.

N6QIC likes this.
  4. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

A direct hit can cause the poles to flip.

5. KB1PA

KB1PA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

These people are LOCAL ELECTED OFFICIALS. the amateur radon operators are BEING ASKED.
    STOP THE HATRED.

6. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not hate. It's ridicule. Big difference.

7. KB1PA

tell that to the ELECTED GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS who have ASKED the hams to assist them.
    I am sure the hams would be rather doing something else, instead they are assisting our ELECTED GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS SERVE THEIR LOCAL COMMUNITIES.
    your hate is obvious.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeff,

We are certainly relevant with ARES. The issue is best use. I do not believe that local decisions on that use of a more 'global' radio network make sense in this event.

The main issue for the eclipse is traffic, and there will be perhaps thousands of hams on major routes, or near them, that could act in a helpful coordinating manner. That is not the same objective of 'local assist'.

I think there was an opportunity there that didn't materialize and yes, I could have presented the issue and helped with it earlier. But nowadays I just have too much both voluntary and otherwise, on my plate.

ARES does great things, but I wonder if being controlled by local jurisdictions is always the right way to go. My two cents on that.

Chip W1YW

9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. It amazes me how anything short of approval or endorsement these days is immediately considered "hate." Such nonsense itself could be consider hateful, and is often presented in that manner.

Without disagreement, there is no accountability.

K0IDT and K3XR like this.
  10. KB1PA

ridicule is the same as bullying. bullying is a form of hate. If you don't like what these hams are
    doing express that without the hate, and you will be listened too.

11. KB1PA

to Chip, ARES has local, county, regional and National and international parts, but most of the "work" is done for local agencies. If local ARES groups need assistance, they can ask, and go above the local level. And ANY volunteer work you do is appreciated more than you realize :):)

Barry

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Barry,

I think ARES is getting blamed for the very restrictions that others impose upon it.

If you had to make a generalization, ARES in 2017 is well trained and most certainly a valuable asset.

Chip W1YW

13. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems to have become very common that some label speech they don't like "hate speech" which begs the question just where does the "hate" label fit.

WB4WHJ, K0IDT and KK5JY like this.
  14. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Q...E...D.

15. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

well, no.

that's like saying red is the same as black, and black is a form of white, implying that red is the same as white.