ad: CQMM-1

The Amateur Radio Parity Act - Could become reality...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It may also be that this bill is the best we can do. There is a saying you can't always get what you want, but you can usually get what you need. In reality, I'm not sure this bill rises to the level of "what we need." What we NEED is what PRB-1 provides attached to CC&Rs. What we're going to get is the right to put up a 440 whip outside somewhere where it does not cause aesthetic concerns for the HOA.

I suspect many in support of this bill mistakenly believe that it provides for CC&R restrictions what PRB-1 does for many areas. It clearly does not. I also suspect that the ARRL, which I support, is hoping folks will believe this bill will provide the right to put up an HF vertical or some such and thus the ARRL can "reap" the benefit of their hard work and deal with reality later, once folks start finding out the truth. When you're fighting an uphill battle, you will likely take any small step you can in the hopes you can continue to fight the battle. That is essentially what I see going on here. OK, I get it.

..............Bob <----------who is an ARRL Volunteer counsel (just to remind folks! :) )

2. NN1C

NN1C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bill, this is kinda pathetic. You should know how much Chip helps other people. He has let me borrow an amplifier, taught me a lot, and has been an amazing advisor, and elmer. Look at all the great work Chip has done -- from his educational roles in his professional life, to his support of young hams. In fact I would say Chip is one of the MOST generous hams I know. Being generous can be something that can also happen out of the public view, and it is important to understand how much Chip gives back. I think you should give the guy some respect, and maybe, just maybe, think about this bill in a calm, sensible manner. (Just to make my point of view clear, I am strongly against ARPA.)
    Best

Marty
    KC1CWF

W7UDI and KI7IZU like this.
  3. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm so glad that none of this BS impacts me in the slightest. :p :D

W2AI and W8LV like this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Fair enough. So what we have here are two professional attorneys who disagree very strongly about what the bill is and isn't, and what it might or might not do in the best and worst case. At best, that makes this bill suspect and mediocre. At worst, it makes it dangerous. That should be enough right there to go back to the drawing board and try again.

I would expect that a real CC&R bill would included relief from all CC&Rs, including condos and apartments, just like OTARD. I would expect that a real CC&R bill would require no notification, just like OTARD. I would expect that a real CC&R bill would specify some kind of minimum standards, just like OTARD. I would expect a real CC&R bill would place specific limits on the other party to the CC&R, just like OTARD.

Since ARPA does none of these things, it's not even close to a real CC&R bill. If anything, ARPA just digs CC&R hams deeper into their CC&Rs. I don't know what the point of ARPA is, but it's not to give hams relief from their CC&R with respect to antennas.

N0EKO and KI7IZU like this.
  5. KK5JY

Yet. :)

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob's point , among others , is that you can support the ARRL, and still disagree with a policy.

I am in that camp.

I am an ARDENT supporter (for years!)of ARPA-- but NOT with the present wording. If passed, it will make ham radio in the US a small shell of its former self, and invite mass breaking of federal law.

Chip W1YW

N0EKO likes this.
  7. KK5JY

I would like to think so. On the other hand, I'm trying to figure out how to swipe the card to renew my membership this year, knowing that passage of ARPA will destroy the antenna rights of many hams that I know. When my taxes that support unjust policy, I accept it as something that has to be done. But when it's a voluntary decision, I don't see why I should support bad policy that will harm people that I know personally.

8. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Never will. Non-development (non-HOA) property, on a private road, built in the late 50s. Only the county can tell what I can and cannot do.

9. KK5JY

Fair enough. As long as you never have to move, I guess you are safe. :)

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

One speculation is that Senator Nelson will kill the bill on behalf of his HOA constituents. Again.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have any communal agreements on road maintenance, trash, easements, water rights, and so on?

If so, those agreements will have to consider your antennas, as they almost always have "and other matters as they arise" wording.

Federal law will obligate them to include a new "matters as they arise": your antennas.

If passed, the "matter will arise"; your communal partners can sit on your request, or just reduce it to a 440MHz whip as approval.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, they disagree.

13. KK5JY

I suspect that is quite likely. That still doesn't solve my problem of my dues being used to destroy the rights of my friends.

KG7VTO likes this.
  14. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

No.

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Lucky!!!

Knock urself out, OM!:)