ad: HamHats-1

The Amateur Radio Parity Act - Could become reality...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Model rockets. The BATFE attempted to regulate some of the propellants we use. We won against that, in the longest federal court case ever, but they still feel they can regulate the igniters.

It's just a hobby, right?

W1YW likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for your well wishes.

The President of the ARRL has no especial control or insight into the outcome which will result from the present wording. Like you or me, he has every right to express his opinion. However, being an antenna professional, I have daily contact with attorneys, and decades of practical experience in contract law. I am not a lawyer. Indeed, I am something far more important: a concerned party. This allows me to have the wherewithal to ASK QUESTIONS OF ATTORNEYS about exposure and risk inherent to proposed wording of clauses. It allows me to recognize issues AND HAVE EXPERIENCED COUNSEL to answer questions relevant to same.

The meaning is ALL IN THE WORDS.

I have now discussed this bill wording with --6-- attorneys and they all see major problems for US hams if it passes. K1VR has done a nice job summarizing the main points. He did so independent of my input or feedback.

I listen to K1VR on matters for which he has expertise. This is a matter on which he has expertise.

It is absolutely bizarre that you want to ACT on something because the PRESIDENT OF A NON-PROFIT told you to do so. It seems to me that it is not only appropriate but VALUABLE for you, and others, to USE that exhortation to LOOK FURTHER INTO THE FACTS. You take it as an act of faith that an exhortation is the pure basis for action.

That, my friend is activism.

Count me out.

Respect your own ability to gather, absorb and weigh facts. Then make your own mind up. If you disagree with me--based on that journey--so what?

But if you want to put on blinders in contradistinction to the facts, well, good luck.

The $50 for your FT-450D is sitting in the safe until 14 August. Let me know.

Wishing You the Best,
    Chip W1YW

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    N0EKO and KI7IZU like this.
  3. KI7IZU

KI7IZU Guest

Deleted - replied to wrong comment.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2017
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the president of ARRL a licensed practicing attorney? K1VR is, and he is very well published on this very subject, long before ARPA was every conceived.
    Your faith-based approach just doesn't stand up to the legal facts of the matter.

KI7IZU and W1YW like this.
  5. KK5JY

If the facts and professional legal opinions on the matter offend you that much, then maybe you should consider that option. Maybe you don't like the way Chip presents his thoughts -- sometimes I don't, either. But the case against ARPA in its current form is solid, and all this religious, angry devotion to its passage is just not reasonable.

6. KI7IZU

KI7IZU Guest

Oh snap, I just realized I replied to the wrong response. Deleting that.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh?

No, I am not "advocating for this bill".

I am telling others to KILL THE BILL as worded.

Before you burn your license, read my posts.

OK?

Have a nice day.
    Chip W1YW

8. KI7IZU

KI7IZU Guest

Reading your posts makes me want to print out a reference copy of my license, set it on fire in the back yard, and walk away from ham radio forever. Seriously, you're advocating for a bill that is going to put a knife in our backs, and arguing against opinions of attorneys who are experts in this field.

9. KI7IZU

KI7IZU Guest

Replied to wrong post - My sincere apologies! I'm with you here.

10. KK5JY

Are we having a particularly fun day on QRZ.com?? ;)

KI7IZU likes this.
  11. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

What? Why would I wager my 450D Slingshot, you know: The one that makes the pileups and beats the pants off of the amps and towers that you've already wasted Thousands on? I can't help it if you don't get "S-Units" and "ERP"...
    Gee whiz, Chip, it's not even Calculus, it's just Algebra.

You can't just build a really Cool Arena and just expect that someone is going to give you a Stanley Cup...you actually have to have the Smarts, Finesse, and Skill....just ask the Maple Leafs!

No WONDER your down to your last "C" Note...

I've got a much BETTER Proposition for you...

Why not take that money that you wave around, and help to get some kid on the air who doesn't have the means to do so?

After he gets his Ticket, you can tell him he can't get on the air because of the HOA/CC&R that he never signed and wasn't a party to.

Then you can tell him it's "for the best."

You don't even HAVE a Giant Badger to jump out of... Instead, you're just think that if you Pretend to be Invisible, it will a come out your way.

But it won't.

It's Your Move, Sir...

73 and All the Best!
    DE W8LV Bill

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    WB2KSP likes this.
  12. KI7IZU

KI7IZU Guest

Hah! I think I picked a pretty subtle way to introduce myself to the forum. ;)

KK5JY and W1YW like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, K5UR is a successful attorney. I am of the opinion that he is not as experienced in the possibility of outcomes that would result from this bill, as worded, as some others. I most certainly respect his opinion, and he is a very nice guy. Again, I believe his exhortation is an invitation to look at the facts themselves, and make up your own mind. Your opinion may differ.

No dissing of K5UR from me.

Chip W1YW

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Note to self: stop at ATM on way home and get cash.

Thanks for reminding me.

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm.. does KC1CWF--the Young Ham of the Year--count?

Marty has been using an Alpha amp for two years...guess where it came from. He works oodles of DX and is LOUD on 40m.

Or how about the money that WF9Q and I poured into the young folks doing the balloon-eclipse experiment? That was up on QRZed a few months back.

I am not going to go down the full list. These two examples are public. You will never know what I do behind the scenes. But I think you are foolish to suggest that I am not generous.

The $50 awaits...

W7UDI likes this.