ad: portazero-1

Join The Pine Board Builders

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9EID/SK2024, Aug 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K9EID/SK2024

K9EID/SK2024 QRZ Lifetime Member #477 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The Pine Board Project continues building the 80 and 40 meter AM tube transmitter on Ham Nation this week. Join the hundreds who are building this two band transmitter, equalized microphone Pre Amp and Power Supply built on Pine Board. Find Ham Nation i n Google and follow the show on Leo Laporte's TWIT network each Wednesday at 8 Pm, CDT. All of the video clips and diagrams are also at www.heilsound.com. Warm up those soldering irons and join in the fun.
    Trans layout.jpeg

KV6O, K8PG, VK6APZ/SK2022 and 5 others like this.
  2. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

If you use DC on the filament you can get rid of the hum.
    With modern rectifiers and caps the rig can actually sound quite clean.

3. K9EID/SK2024

Thanks for your note. yes, true it is, but trying to keep this first project simple and operational. Truthfully, I
    have been using this very transmitter on our morning AM gatherings and there is not a trace of any 60Hz
    hum. The layout and ground path helps very much here. Please stay in touch.

BOB

W7UUU likes this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

While I really like the world of FETs and ICs, the truth is that valve circuits are beautiful things.

WD4IGX, KK5R and AF7EC like this.
  5. K9EID/SK2024

Hi Matt
    Thanks for your post. My focus for the Pine Board Project is to get more building building and understanding exactly how the circuits work. Vacuum tubes are the best way to do that. Many of us started designing and building our equipment back in the 40'50's and 60's and learned so much. This is what we are trying to bring to the fraternity and I am so very happy that so many have joined in. From there, one can relate the technology to solid state technology. I can tell you it is much more of a thrill to build and OPERATE tube transmitters that you built. Fun stuff. Stay in touch, Matt.
    BOB HEIL, K9EID

K2ATJ and KK5JY like this.
  6. ZL1API

ZL1API Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't beat valves to play around with, much more forgiving than transistors and ic's
    Hope you get a great following .
    73s ZL1API

KK5JY likes this.
  7. WA5PQL

WA5PQL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My first home brew transmitter in the 60's used a 6146 and was crystal controlled. It wasn't on a pine board but on a bud box. Contacts were more fun back then!

NS5Z, W7EOV and ZL1API like this.
  8. K9EID/SK2024

WA5PQL I certainly agree. The fun of building the transmitter but the real fun of making contacts with your creation is somethign you just have to
    experience. Plans are to build a 6146 'amplifier' for this 6AG7 rig - or any other QRP rig..... and much more fun with tubes than solid state devices.
    thanks for being with us

BOB HEIL, K9EID

9. K4OBL

K4OBL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, what a flood of memories this brings back. My first ever transmitter was built on a scrap 2 X 10 I found in my Dad's work shop, a bunch of parts scrounged from an AM radio I pulled from my neighbors trash and some odds and ends from Radio Shack I think. That was a LONG time ago :) I was like 10 or 11.... like I said ... a LONG time ago!

ZL1CVD and ZL1API like this.
  10. KE0GHU

KE0GHU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bob, I couldn't find the 4H, 50ma DC choke filter on Antique Radio's site...do you have any other sources where I might be able to find this part? I am almost done with my Mic Preamp and excited to start the transmitter

11. K6VHP

K6VHP Ham Member QRZ Page

12. K2ATJ

K2ATJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent idea. I'll be starting one ASAP.
    Don Hulick K2ATJ
    Anchor This Week In Amateur Radio

13. N4JGO

N4JGO Ham Member QRZ Page

14. N4JGO

N4JGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Michael
    You want part# P-CF22707 from the Antique Radio's site
    Bob N4JGO

15. K9EID/SK2024

Those were glorius time sin Amateur Radio and I am trying to share some of those days with the new hams of today. We rode our bikes around town looking for old TV sets on the curb. What a treasure trove of parts, eh? Glad to have you joining us. Godo stuff tonight.... don't miss.
    BOB K9EID
    The choke is available AES part # P-CF 22707 Will be showing th entire parts list tonight. Stay in touch...
    BOB, K9EID