ad: elecraft

The (K1T) Special Event Station count down to July 23, 2017

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by N6QIC, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks me too. The fettuccine and cream sauce turned out good:)

W5BIB, WA4BCS and W7UUU like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

And that's all she wrote!!! K1T is now in the history books.... very lackluster band performance I gotta say - but I'm very happy with my 648 contacts in the log. Many of them became very nice long QSOs, sharing old Heathkit stories and even a few "Former Hams at Heath" along the way.

Worked 47 states (never got DE, RI or VT) and a measly 7 DX entities. Band conditions just stunk for this event, following the big solar storm the weekend it began - it just never really got better until this last Thursday, when I had over 100 contacts in just a few hours. That only happened once.

But I got LOTS of my QRZ friends in the log in both CW and SSB - that was really nice! I'm glad I was able to get some long-time friends logged for the event.

Also had lots of technical glitches along the way - still need to fix the AGC issue on the SB-101 and some other niggling things that crept in. Overall though, I consider it a success.

NOTE: QSL cards will go to the printer once I know about how many to print - only about 100 SASE requests so far, and only about 10 for the certificate. So I'll need to wait probably 2 weeks before ordering so please be patient until I get close to a final count.

Thanks to all who were able to participate!! :)

LoTW and QRZ uploads later tonight... gotta get outta the shack!!!

Dave
    W7UUU (The ham formerly known as K1T)

upload_2017-8-5_17-8-18.png

N7ANN, W9KKB, WJ4U and 2 others like this.
  3. W7UDI

W7UDI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave,

Congrats on the K1T Special Event. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Sorry I was unable to work you. The pitfalls of being a bit too close. Now go relax, and take Anne out for a nice dinner. Without our wife's support, some of these projects would never happen.

Steve
    W7UDI

W5BIB likes this.
  4. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WELL DONE Dave :D (you define the word "Perseverance")

Steve / W5BIB

K9ASE and W7UUU like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks Steve - sorry it didn't work out to get in the log - but JUST GOT HOME from a nice dinner out with Anne N7ANN :)

And thanks too for the several Skype calls getting lights and camera angles right for the Ham Nation show.

This was a really fun event, despite the lackluster propagation gods. I have no regrets.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  6. W7UUU

My wife Anne N7ANN got the honor of being the very last contact of K1T on 2m FM :)

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2017-8-5_19-50-21.png

N7ANN, N2EY, K9ASE and 1 other person like this.
  7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

She has you trained well. :p:rolleyes:

W7UUU likes this.
  8. W7UUU

Well, at least in this case she "got the last word" :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, K9ASE, WA7PRC and 1 other person like this.
  9. W7UUU

Final breakdown by mode:

SSB > 540
    CW > 92
    FM > 13
    AM > 3 (two on a Twoer! Third on the DX-60b, with SB-301 receiver - didn't spend much time on AM needless to say)

I really wanted a lot more on CW, but the double whammy of losing AGC control on the SB-101, and losing LMO stability on the SB-401 really put a damper on my CW aspirations in this event.

Really fun to at least have had two really fun contacts on the Twoer!! That thing works REALLY well!

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, N6QIC, N2EY and 1 other person like this.
  10. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great job Dave it was lots of fun even if band conditions were bad.

N6QIC and W7UUU like this.
  11. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave,

Glad you enjoyed the K1T marathon. Thanks for all your hard work and dedication. Conditions were so poor I only barely heard you twice, and of course you did not copy me :(. I tried both SSB and CW, I heard you on 20 meters CW and SSB, but no joy. Perhaps I will have a contact with W7UUU in the future.

Roger N6RGR

W7UUU, N6QIC and K9ASE like this.
  12. W7UUU

Sorry it didn't work out Roger :( But it was just rough sailing almost the entire event due to horrible "fast action QSB" - I've seldom seen such weird QSB, where single syllables would drop out. At times I'd hear just one letter "Juliet" at S9 and never make out the rest of the call! But the kicker was it ran that way almost every day, with the exception of this past Thursday and Friday, where I actually had some pileups and could copy everyone well.

But that's the way it goes. Thanks for trying anyway

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  13. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Consider yourself lucky, Dave. I finally got my HW-100 to put out its full 100 watts--on 20 LSB.
    No output on USB or CW. :mad: But we did have CW contacts on 40 and 20. Then, on August 3 (CDT) a voice QSO on 20, for which you will receive an original QSL card, commemorating the one and only QSO with W9JEF on the the 63rd anniversary of the license. :)

W7UUU likes this.
  14. W7UUU

Thanks so much Jim - it truly was a pleasure working your station including VOICE!!! I'm honored, actually. I know you very seldom get on SSB.

And there's the 63rd anniversary aspect - 63 years ago July 23 Howard E. Anthony died in a plane crash of a Dehaviland Dove - that's the date I chose for the start of the K1T event, in the same month that 70 years ago saw the first ad for a Heath Co. kit (By September that year first called a Heathkit). The new antenna, as noted in my log (below) was AMAZING!!! Really nice signal here despite the conditions.

Anyway, I'm very pleased to have you in the log yet again my friend.

VY 73,

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2017-8-6_21-50-17.png

N7ANN and W9JEF like this.
  15. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks, Dave. I also noticed the rapid QSB you mentioned--did miss a few dits and dahs.

If you're like me (following a Stew Perry event), after nearly 650 contacts, you may be experiencing “ham radio burnout”--but maybe not.

BTW, for the SSB contact, I was barefoot--appreciate the signal report.

N6QIC and W7UUU like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.