ad: M2Ant-1

Yaesu DR2 Wires-X update

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Jul 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE3ES

VE3ES Ham Member QRZ Page

D-Star here I come...

2. KA1SU

KA1SU Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KA1SU

KA1SU Ham Member QRZ Page

You should consider the BridgeCom Repeaters, Kenwood TKR-8xx series and Motorola Radius. The DR-1x and xe are not very good repeaters. They lack the reliability, stability (over temperature), RX sensitivity and the older DR-1's, severe TX problems due to poor shielding and in cabinet cooling capability (needs and extra fan & TX Heatsinks which have been a fixed in the DR-1xe. Our DR-1 is Deaf and causes the repeater to "pump" PTT when a weak signal is received. We checked the Sinclair Duplexer, Hybrid Ring, TX/RX connections (LMR-400 / 600). Overall, if the price is as it is, many bought them and they should never been put on a hill. The DR-2 is a better performer, more expensive and with the absence of WIRE-x connection is all but useless as a true digital repeater using FUSION/C4FM. I believe Yaesu has lost the Digital war as many, many folks will now us DSTAR and/or DMR instead.

I am a Director of the New England Spectrum Managment Council (NESMC) and hear reports from literally every user of DR-1's who voice dissatisfaction with the repeater and C4FM connection. Probably good that Yaesu has discontinued support WIRES-X, next I suspect C4FM will be obsolete soon. Sad.

We have owned a DR-1x for over 1 year and would never buy a DR-2. DSTAR and DMR are prolific in this area so there's no need for another repeater.

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The DR-1 was a great deal for radio clubs. At $500 each, most of the local clubs nabbed one or 2. Most of the repeaters on the air locally are now DR-1s! Yaesu made a very wise move, as they sold lotsa FT-1Rs and and FT-2DRs so Hams could use the C4FM Fusion!
    They blew away the ICOM D-STAR competition!

5. BI1ACW

BI1ACW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just like the new 70D,nither support wires-x,really surprised.

6. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not direct (connected directly to the repeater) but "over the air" (using a remote rig) like many folks are already doing. There were several firmware revisions on the DR1 before you could hook it up to the HRI-200 directly for Wires.

I have a direct quote from Yaesu about this and will post it as soon as I can dig it up.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

7. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu hasn't discontinued anything with WiresX. Wherever you read that is incorrect.

8. K0SVT

K0SVT Ham Member QRZ Page

If it still runs Wires Via an RF link, what's the big deal? Seems like a nice rig to me... I have a hard time understanding why you guys jump to conclusions and bash on something you're probably not going to buy anyway.

AD0MI likes this.
  9. W6KKO

W6KKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Outrageous that Yaesu has not yet configured their second repeater offering exactly how I want it. Flag semaphore here I come!

Full disclosure: I am unable to downgrade to Smoke Signals from semaphore after the latest firmware install.

AD0MI and K0SVT like this.
  10. N4MRM

N4MRM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If it is like the dr1 you only have choices Yaesu wants you to have, I will never buy another. Why buy something then have to add to it to make it work.

11. WB6AMT/SK2023

WB6AMT/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

As usual Yaesu has made it beyond difficult to simply link two DR-2 repeaters together in one cabinet so their clubs vhf and uhf repeaters could work together for use during their traffic nets.
    Hopefully the Arcom RC210 controller can still make the DR-2 repeaters work unless Yaesu's changes affected that too.

12. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

actually, with the DR2X, it will be simple. Put a crossover ethernet cable between the two of them and use the new IMRS feature. Done.

KA1VT likes this.
  13. W6KKO

W6KKO Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread is riddled with conjecture and misinformation. Osmosis remains inferior compared to the reading of a manual.

For me, the different brands of radios, modes, controllers, and repeaters are the tools for the job. Others prefer just a flat head screwdriver and that's fine too.

14. KA1VT

KA1VT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or put them on the same network, currently running wires-x via rf link - next a few more experiments to try.

15. W8HF

W8HF XML Subscriber QRZ Page