ad: ProAudio-1

The (K1T) Special Event Station count down to July 23, 2017

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by N6QIC, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I finally worked K1T on 20m. At only 50 miles between us, signals were weak, even w/ my yagi. It didn't help that QRZ sez you're located near Washington DC (100° difference).

W7UUU likes this.
  2. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess still on 20 phone...

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Tonight the schedule had to go by the wayside - will be back to normal tomorrow. Just worked my FIRST EVER 2m AM contact, using my Heathkit Twoer to work WG7X on his Icom IC-706 - publishing the short video to YouTube right now.

Then right after that, I worked our club museum station on 40m CW, station W7OS (part of W7DK club) - the museum was running a Heathkit AR-3 receiver and Heathkit AT-1 transmitter - and OF COURSE WE WERE WORKING SPLIT!!! :):) I was on 7.114 and he was on 7.014 - just like the old days. GREAT signals both ways. We're going to work a Museum Demo QSO on Saturday morning 10:00 AM (give or take) PDT - so that folks in the clubhouse can hear what a CW station might have sounded like back in 1955 or so - all as part of the K1T celebration of Heathkit.

So - yes busy night. Going to upload the video shortly with the 2m AM QSO (Geez - too bad it's a dead mode on that band! The audio was excellent!! You can even hear his chair squeak when he moves!!). If more folks would give it some thought, it would be really fun to have a slew of Twoers and other 2m AM rigs alight the airwaves once again...

I was born in 1961 - the year 2m AM was probably at or near its peak - and only tonight had my first QSO, on a radio I restored years ago but have never used until today!

Video link shortly

Dave
    W7UUU/K1T

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    N7ANN, W5BIB, N6QIC and 2 others like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

So here's the video/audio of my first-ever 2m AM QSO on a Heathkit Twoer!! This was really fun - I wish I could just call CQ any old time and have a local QSO like this... sigh.

Contact is with fellow long-time W7DK Radio Club of Tacoma Member @WG7X , Gary, in "Beautiful downtown Lakewood Waaaaaarrrrrssssshhhhhington" :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY, AC6BW, N7ANN and 3 others like this.
  6. AC6BW

AC6BW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, thanks for the QSO last night on 40m SSB. You peaked at S9 about an hour after our QSO. Great job with the Heathkit Anniversary event.
    Roger

W7UUU likes this.
  7. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm hoping to get him this weekend. He's been on after my bedtime during the week:)

W7UUU likes this.
  8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It was a REALLY GREAT Pleasure to work Dave as K1T tonight on 20CW!!! Rig Sounds great!!!!
    73!!!

9. W7UUU

Thanks Pat - glad to have you in the log for CW now as well as SSB. It will show up in LoTW and QRZ tomorrow (I did my daily uploads before our contact).

Let's just hope the bands improve - not great today. Yesterday was a lot better

Dave
    W7UUU/K1T

N7ANN likes this.
  10. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Dave,
    Here are some notes just in case you need them.
    help1.jpg help2.jpg

Hey and your logbook looks good now. Thanks for the contact.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    W5BIB likes this.
  11. W7UUU

:eek::eek::eek:

Thanks for the heads up - I have NO IDEA how my coordinates got so whacked out of line. I've made the correction. Of course, it's not exactly where my house is - I keep that private - but at least a heck of a lot closer than had been indicated.

Maybe folks can now point their Yagi antennas the right way LOL!!

And yes - the log book seems to have sorted itself out.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN and N6QIC like this.
  12. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Where are you tonight Dave ??//0348z

13. W7UUU

7210 LSB at the moment - CW has largely been a bust (i.e., waste of time :()

Of course, SSB is largely a bust too - but less so. Damn I wish there was better conditions for this

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  14. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

40 CW sounds half-way decent down here tonight as compared to the last several nights.... I'm just doing some paperwork & listening to 7114. When you QSY to CW, give a shout with 100w on 7114.//0402z

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  15. W7UUU

Super. I will be hitting the DX-20 on 7114 (ONLY 7114 tonight - I have a sked in the AM on that frequency and don't want to mess anything up) at 10:00 PM PDT - kinda late but maybe 40 will be better "in these here parts" by then. So 0500 UTC - 7114 CW, slow speed (hand key) - calling CQ K1T

Conditions around here are brutal. No propagation at all much of the time.

Dave
    W7UUU/K1T

N7ANN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.