ad: Radclub22-1

Exclusive - Yaesu Upcoming DR2 Repeater

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Jul 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. M1MRB

M1MRB Ham Member QRZ Page

July 15, 2017

ICQ Amateur/Ham Radio Podcast's Martin Butler (M1MRB/W9ICQ) and Chris Howard (M0TCH/N4CTH) can exclusively reveal information in relation to Yaesu's upcoming DR2 Repeater after visiting the Ham Radio 2017 event at Friedrichshafen, Germany

[​IMG]

Yaesu DR-2XE Repeater

This new model includes support for these new key features: -

• IMRS (Internet-linked Multi-Site Repeater) allows multiple DR2 repeaters connect to over the Internet.
    • Digital Group ID, which is similar to CTCSS tones used on analogue FM transmissions and is a way of separating users into up to 99 talk groups, using either the new FT-70 radio or some of the other C4FM radios with an upcoming firmware upgrade.
    • Digital Personal ID, which is a selective calling system to allows a user to call another user based on their call sign.Remote control, through the inbuilt second receiver.

An important point to note however is that the DR2 does not support Wires-X, so is not a replacement or upgrade for the DR1 repeater. The DR1 will continue to be produced for those wishing to grow their Wires-X network.

[​IMG]

ICQ Amateur/Ham Radio Podcast's Martin Butler (M1MRB/W9ICQ) interviewing Paul Bigwood (G3WYW) of Yaesu regarding the DR2 Repeater

A full interview with Yaesu will appear in the next episode of the ICQ Amateur/Ham Radio Podcast - Episode 242 to be released on Sunday 23rd July 2017. This exclusive interview coincides with the shows 9th Birthday. Make sure you don't miss the interview with Yaesu regarding the new DR2 Repeater by joining our episode alert mailing list - https://www.icqpodcast.com/subscribe-to-newsletter/

K4LIX likes this.
  2. W5GM

W5GM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to see a lids off review where they remove the top cover and let us see the guts of this new box. The DR1 was such a letdown. Can the DR2 transmit 45w full duty cycle without going up in flames?? Inquiring minds want to know.

AD0JA, W5AMG, N5REL and 1 other person like this.
  3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Ed Zachary. The repeater operators around here are having to run amps because the original (con)Fusion repeaters won't run at full power with any sort of actual traffic. Bear in mind around here 50-100 watt repeaters are common.

W5FPL likes this.
  4. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Doesn't seem to support DMR Tier II though.

AC6VV likes this.
  5. N5REL

N5REL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I sure hope Yaesu takes the items below into account on the DR2X. These are all DR1X shortcomings I've personally experienced (I maintain two of them).

1) W5GM already covered the PA. Well documented issue near and far.

2) The quirky behavior of the internal PL decode board. Now you're in the repeater, now you're not. Oh there you are! Hey where did you go? Best solution is to use an external encode/decode board such as a TS64.

3) Firmware updates are a beatdown if your repeater is rack mounted. Definitely not a one man job. Unhook all the jumpers. Take the repeater out of the rack, take the 18 screws out of the repeater case and pop the top to put the repeater into programming mode, etc. Why cant this function be implemented on the touchscreen? Maybe put a USB connector on the face of unit to dump the firmware into it. Make it just a little easier on us, please?

4) Like many of us that use an external controller (multi port controller RLC3 in my case), will the DR2X have more functionality with an external controller without the need for the Arcom interface unit and outboard PL encode/decode board (see my note 2).

The four items above are the major questions for me. Now, again, kudos to Yaesu for bringing a very affordable package to the table. And the trade-in / upgrade program for the DR2X is certainly very enticing too. IMHO the DR1X wasn't quite ready for the spotlight and many of us found out issues the hard way. I hope that they were addressed in the DR2X.

AD0JA and W5GM like this.
  6. N5ICK

N5ICK Ham Member QRZ Page

You should really run amps on the repeaters anyways! Turn the power down on the repeater to save the transmitter! You need to do that on most non yaesu repeaters anyways!

7. N9TES

N9TES Ham Member QRZ Page

Because it's not a DMR repeater.

K9EZ, KX4O, NL7W and 5 others like this.
  8. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

When adding a RF Amplifier to a Digital Repeater make absolutely sure that the external RF Amplifier is Linear Class AB1 because if you use a standard FM Class C RF Amplifier, it will cause Spurious Emissions and Harmonics across the 2 m or 70 cm Bands.:eek:

Dan
    WA9WVX

9. WW4GW

WW4GW Ham Member QRZ Page

Item 5: RF front end is wide enough to drive a truck thru. Unless this thing sits in your back yard, expect interference from other RF at the site. We have had to fashion narrow filters for the RF receive to keep them quiet.

VA3HD and W5GM like this.
  10. KF6AJM

KF6AJM Ham Member QRZ Page

You know it's still two mobile radios in a box. Junk, just like the DR1. This is a solution looking for a problem. Yaesu really should've followed existing standards rather than keeping things proprietary...

Probably this thing has been released because they have a newer, better version of the dual band radios inside of it (newer model they've otherwise released as a mobile).

A dual-band repeater? Give me a break. Buh-bye front end. I realize it can only do one band depending on how its programmed, but still.

A local club has 4 of these things online, and nothing but trouble with them. The $500 price point for clubs was such crap. Everyone bought these things, and they aren't worth $100.

Caveat Emptor. You get what you pay for. Garbage in, garbage out. This platform won't survive with D-Star and DMR out there. Why bother?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    VE5RH, DF7NT, AD0JA and 2 others like this.
  11. NK7J

NK7J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As many have noted the DR1 machines have some issues. I personally dont own one but have went up to a couple repeater sites with owners of them to try and track down issues (interference) and while testing the repeaters I noted how poorly they operate.

The first thing I noticed is how cruddy the squelch circuits are on them, absolutely no hysterisis and seems like it will change its opening point at random.
    As noted above, the front end is WIDE open.
    Talking to the one repeater owner he said he had to keep the PA turned down to about 20 watts to avoid problems.
    I think even the analog audio on them are horrible, very harsh.

I see why they were $500.

AD0JA and KF6AJM like this.
  12. N0ANE

N0ANE Ham Member QRZ Page

It gets difficult to read amateur radio forums with all of the narrow minded, self-righteous bashing. Sad way to introduce anyone to this hobby.

We installed two DR-1X repeaters on our busy city water tower; one for VHF and one for UHF. The site has an unfiltered VHF pager and multiple UHF repeaters operating from 452 to 463 Mhz. We had already added filtering due to all of the unwanted RF since all the antennas are in the same horizontal plane - at the top of the tower. We experienced occasional intermod in that application with our old repeaters but it was manageable.

Expecting the worst, I installed one DR-1X just to see what would happen. It was a quick easy setup with the touch screen, something so foreign to typical repeater hardware. The performance was great: Good sensitivity and reliable output at 20 watts. I was so impressed that I ordered the second repeater shortly after that.

Both repeaters have been doing the job for nearly a year. What more can we expect from Yaesu for the money??? And while I had no intentions to try C4FM, it has now become our main mode. Using a Wires X RF linked node has completely changed our local repeater experience. Inactive hams have gotten back on the air finding new reasons to experience ham radio and repeaters again.

Yaesu has proven they are willing to be innovative and produce great products for amateur radio. I'm looking forward to reading legitimate reviews and information about the new DR-2X.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    K9EZ, KX4O, WU8Y and 3 others like this.
  13. KF6AJM

KF6AJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not to digress from the point of this thread, but I merely stated fact, not opinion. I absolutely cannot endorse this product to anyone for any reason based on the poor construction, lackluster filtering, and just general rush to market nonsense that it truly is.

I'm glad you've had success with it in a "high RF" environment, I really am. But you are the minority from what I have heard.

I'm sorry you feel that this sort of discussion is a "sad way to introduce anyone to the hobby", but would you rather feed new hams a boatload of crap about how wonderful and cheery life is on the radio, or would you rather be honest - it's like real life - everyone has an opinion, and they all stink. I don't see how I was being "self righteous" or "narrow-minded". I speak with experience on the subject - now here comes the self-righteousness:

I guess I'm just spoiled as a public safety communications technician. I get to work with the best of the best, both professionally and in the Amateur world.

/soapbox off. Carry on Gents! Put your helmets on!

14. N0FQN

N0FQN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm also skeptical of it's abilities. The DR1 was an absolute failure. I too, would want to see the covers off. We were hoping for better but.............

AD0JA and KF6AJM like this.
  15. KJ4HRM

KJ4HRM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Everyone has an opinion. We have had great success in West Tn with the DR1. There are at least 5 operating in central West Tn, all with good performance. Some are on more loaded sites than others.

K9EZ likes this.