ad: chuckmartin

Ham Radio Deluxe News: Ham Radio Deluxe Version 6.4.0.659 Released

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA9PIE, Jul 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WA9PIE

WA9PIE QRZ Lifetime Member #305 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'd have to know more about what you're looking to do. But you can connect as many radios to HRD Rig Control simultaneously as you can afford to put in your shack. If that didn't answer the question, email me direct. I'd like to understand what you're looking to do.

Mike, WA9PIE

N2SUB likes this.
  2. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I need to be able to have 2 radio connected at the same time and be able to swap to logging from whichever band I am on for VHF contesting I have one radio on 6m and the other on 2m for example. Right now swapping radios is to clutzy especially if 6m is open and I am working 2-3 stations a minute plus picking up a new 2m station in between. It takes far to long and to many lost contacts.

3. WA9PIE

Of course you can have multiple radios connected simultaneously. But if you're working at a contest pace, I can see your point.

We've been discussing a rewrite of rig control... an overhaul actually. What I'd like to be able to do is to define a radio based on band or mode. So if you clicked on a different spot, the software would know what radio you want to log from. That's been in my head for a while... something that I'd like to see us do.

Mike, WA9PIE

4. KG7VTO

KG7VTO Ham Member QRZ Page

No confusion here.

5. WA3DOG

WA3DOG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does the new release have JT65 incorporated?

6. WP2ASS

WP2ASS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing against you, PIE... I understand completely.

But, I'd like to go back to approximately 2000 and slap Microsoft upside their f****ing heads with a 2x4 about their subscription model.

That and you don't own the software, only a license to use the bits stored on the HDD.

In the days of money grabbing licensing I think it's somewhat commendable you continue to provide some free features and all bug fixes as the revisions roll on.

Thanks for taking the time to calmly respond. I was under some misinformation about your (non) subscription model, and must now eat some crow.

A1, Ketchup, anyone know what goes with crow?

--Shane
    KD6VXI

KF2M likes this.
  7. KM4CQG

KM4CQG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mike

Thanks for the update will be glad to see the new release it's about time DM780 added some features.

If you can help make HRD logger work with JT Alert once again.

Ian

8. KX0DW

KX0DW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That was a decision by JT Alert's author, not the HRD crew. You're directing that request to the wrong person. Mike and the crew reached out to JT Alert's author and tried to mend fences, but it apparently isn't happening.

9. K4AR

K4AR Ham Member QRZ Page

Has there been progress in regard to compatibility with MS Office 2016 and Office 365? (beyond manually editing the Registry )

10. KX0DW

I found this to be an easy fix. Simply download and install the Access Runtime (apparently removed by Office 2016 and Office 365). Problem disappeared. Never once had to touch the registry. They have links in the FAQ at https://tickets.hrdsoftwarellc.com/kb/faq.php?id=53

11. KM4CQG

KM4CQG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave

I didn't ask you to respond and I'm not asking for a history lesson either.

Mike

Perhaps a new relationship to Laurie might help resolve this matter.

Ian

12. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I installed it Mike......the first thing it did was remove the old Access DB engine. I thought to myself, "Cool!". I know that was a lot of work. Bravo.

This likely contributed to the enhanced stability. ;)

13. KX0DW

No, but this IS a public forum so I do have the right to respond with some information. Of course, you can block me, but that still won't keep me from responding: it will just keep you from being so annoyed.

Relax, OM. Life's too short to spend it looking for ways to get offended.

Sounds to me like you're trying to pin the blame, and thus the only path to a solution, on HRD. Mike did reach out to Laurie in a very public manner shortly after Laurie announced his decision, but to no effect. It would be wonderful if they could get together and agree on a path forward where JTAlert and HRD Logbook once again worked together; but it isn't all on Mike.

14. WA9PIE

No problem, Shane.

Microsoft's model (also used by Symantec, Norton, Adobe... and a bunch of others) is... generally... you buy "Software 2000"... and it's current for about 3 years... then "Software 2003" comes out... retires support for "Software 2000"... at which point users have to keep buying the new version. We're trying to avoid that. BUT... we've invested in getting really good support folks. The team we have today are exceptional at managing the queue and being responsive to our customers with quick and relevant help. We can afford to continue throwing features into the updates for free because we have great customers who continue the annual... and optional... Software Maintenance and Support (which is - again - optional... and required if you need support or when we introduce certain features or new products).

At Dayton this year, folks asked me for several things... two of them as follows.

One - give us a way to auto-renew the annual Software Maintenance and Support. We've done that on our new eCommerce system and we've had about 10% of our customers "opt-in" for annual renewals automatically. Thank you for that.

And two - they would like us to offer HRD on a subscription basis. Some folks would be more willing to pay $33/yr (as an example) than $99 one-time. We're working on that. We need to replace our license server first with a commercial product that is capable of that. But also, we intend to offer products that fit a subscription model better (like new online services that I won't go into detail about at the moment).

But one thing is for sure... we're LISTENING to our customers and working hard to offer products and services that they find useful.

Mike, WA9PIE

15. WA9PIE

Well, if anyone has any influence with Laurie, I'm open to working something out with him at his convenience. I'm always open to him.

Mike, WA9PIE

KX0DW likes this.