ad: elecraft

13 COLONIES SPECIAL EVENT

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KU2US, May 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AA0CW

AA0CW Ham Member QRZ Page

Golly I need K2H for a clean sweep, seen them on the spotter thingy a few times but sure couldn't hear them. Hopefully they will be on today all day.

2. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is the old saying? It pays to listen. I only needed GB13COL. Had no luck on 40. No luck on PSK, even though he came back to me, qso was never completed. Then yesterday afternoon he was on 20 SSB. No copy at all here in NJ. But had nothing else to do so I just sat on the frequency while doing other stuff. All of a sudden out of the noise came GB13COL. From nothing to S6. Only took a few calls and he heard me. Five minutes later he was gone. You just never know. Band conditions are always changing.

K9ASE and WR2E like this.
  3. AA0CW

Got K2H clean sweep woohoo! 100 watts and a G5RV.

K9ASE and WR2E like this.
  4. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the whole idea of the 13 Colonies event is pretty great. I found it pretty interesting that the endorsement list included the NRA. When exactly did they become a patriotic organization on par with veterans, American Legion or the VFW?

5. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

History of the NRA: https://home.nra.org/about-the-nra/

Oh - and defense / advocacy of the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

KU2US and K9ASE like this.
  6. AA0CW

I sent off QSL cards and sase to every station I worked because I thought it would be neat to have their QSL cards along with the certificate. Well except for K2L. What's up with that?

2017 K2L QSL is via LOTW/EQSL ONLY
    NO 2017 QSL CARDS, PLEASE DO NOT SEND A CARD HOPING TO GET A RETURN ONE.

7. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's amazing to me how people volunteer for an event then don't want to fully participate in. Same thing happened last year with the Rt. 66 event. One station was MIA. One guy got on for an hour days into the event. I asked why so little operation. He said his whole club was supposed to operate. But only one guy put in a few hours. I was lucky to get him.

8. N6OIL

N6OIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Still fishing for K2B and K2H, not sure if I'll get GB13COL from the west coast.

9. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Right up there with Apple Pie and Chevrolet

K9ASE likes this.
  10. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly, stations pointing beams away from the East Coast the whole event.

One station says let me point my beam towards you. He points it to Puerto Rico and now I'm receiving him S7 off the side of his beam instead of S2.

So I get all excited thinking he will finally hear me after 3 days of trying.
    WRONG he immediately gives me the back of the beam again.

This year sucked for me and it was mainly because of the closest stations. Ops that I can easily work any other time.

Next year remember there are people in New England, even some in your own State trying to make a contact.

Also, if you are going to call region numbers at 10 minute intervals per number, be kind enough to say this is your last go around.
    Sitting there waiting for you to go from 4s to 0s and then say goodnight sucks for us 1s.

11. KV4VO

KV4VO Ham Member QRZ Page

Need K2L to complete my list,,also worked WM3PEN.

12. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Still need the GB13 not much time left! Been listening every time I see him spotted and only once or twice ever came up enough to even HEAR him much less work him. Might be going without that one, got the rest though. It's a fun event.

13. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Me too... I've given up hope at this point.

14. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The only hope of working him from the West Coast is by CELLPHONE!!!

15. K4MZR

K4MZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Got all the stations but now the 13 Colonies website is down so I can't get to the PDF log. Hope it comes back up soon. Toughest for me was K2J; they didn't seem to have as much air time as the other stations.