ad: Schulman-1

MFJ-998 automatic antenna tuner 1500 Watts - Review and Setup

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Jun 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is the MFJ-998 automatic antenna tuner 1500 Watts - Full Review and Setup. Tested with my Kenwood TS-990 and Heathkit SB-221 1.3kW tube amplifier (pair or 3-500z).

I know, the bands were pretty bad the day I shoot this video, or I forgot to remove my RX antenna from ground ;-)

Pascal VA2PV

Attached Files:

VE7PBF and K0PIR like this.
  2. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like a very nice tuner. I have a 600 watt autotuner and use it almost every day. It is nice not to have to turn knobs hi hi.

VA2PV likes this.
  3. K4SAW

K4SAW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had the 998 for many years. I started with a 929 autotuner several years ago with only a 100 watt rig and a G5RV and it tuned it no problem.
    I have since added a amplifier to the mix and needed the 998 to handle 1k or better and still get great results. The only thing you have to remember
    is to reduce power when tuning it hates to much power and will tell you so. :)

K4BBN and VA2PV like this.
  4. KK4ITN

KK4ITN Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do these videos always have low audio?

5. KF5UMC

KF5UMC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used this tuner for 3 years...works fine at 100-1200 watts. I never ran it above 1200 watts. The one thing I don't like is if I touch up the inductance and or capacitance a little it reverts back to the previous tuning. Also at times, it "looses" the capacitance/inductive settings completely if I change from one antenna to the other antenna and back. Could be operator error...

Overall though I get it a 9 out of 10.

VA2PV likes this.
  6. WB2JIX

WB2JIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

VA2PV likes this.
  7. VA2PV

Please specify? I reduced audio when the mic is to closed or sometime to voice over... 73

8. K6LR

K6LR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very well done! Thanks for the in-depth review. I run an older Yaesu FT-1000mp. Will this tuner accept this radio?
    Tnx, 73. K6LR

VA2PV likes this.
  9. VA2PV

I don't know, download the tuner manual and the radio manual. If it's like the Kenwood with the AT-300, you will be able to see if it's compatible with a Yaesu External tuner, I know there is some Yaesu in the tuner menu. As another ham mention to me, in radio it's not like the PC world where there's a plug and play system (think of those USB devices), so we must check first, hihi. Maybe that’s the reason so many people had a hard time with some of the most complex aftermarket device for the ham radio world. Thanks for watching. 73 Pascal VA2PV

10. KF5UMC

KF5UMC Ham Member QRZ Page

Your audio in the video is fine...his ears or PC is NOT!

11. KJ7GL

KJ7GL Ham Member QRZ Page

I had one for 6 months. I used it with my ALS-1300 Both big boat anchors. The 998 started tuning in the middle of a key up and blew the finals in the amp. Since the 998 will only auto tune with max 100 watts you have to use the L & C buttons to get a good swr. I sold the 998 and had Ameritron swap my ALS-1300 for a AL-82 free.

Bill
    KJ7GL

12. WA2ILB

WA2ILB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, READ THE MANUAL! I used to drive the other engineers crazy when we got a new piece of equipment. I would not let them touch the new equipment until I read the complete manual. Saved the company a lot of money in repairs.

I have had my 998 for a few months now and it works flawlessly. READ THE MANUAL!

73, Mark

K0OKS likes this.
  13. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

No doubt, RTFM is good advice. If you wire it up right the 998 will not key the amp if it is tuning.

14. KE0OBN

KE0OBN Ham Member QRZ Page

sir your audio was great! And KF5UMC is correct. I found your review wonderfully in depth and I would love to see one on your Kenwood.

VA2PV likes this.
  15. K1MMI

K1MMI Ham Member QRZ Page

The 998 Tuner works with the FT-1000mp.