ad: MyersEng-1

Jamaica - No more Morse code for radio operators, technicians

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1SAR, Jun 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Rollin' on a river apparently. That's what its called.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the picture is a launch pad for tiddly winks....

3. WA7WJR

WA7WJR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[start snarky comment]
    I agree. I also happen to think you shouldn't own or captain a boat larger than 14' unless you pass a USCG exam that demonstrates "true proficient ability" to determine a vessel's position at sea with a sextant; and they should reinstitute it as a requirement for graduation at the US Naval Academy.

And, I still remember my great-grandfather's patience in teaching me the difference between Triangle types A, B, & C in the 1894 ,1895, and 1897-1903 series stamps at the ripe age of 8. I happen to think if you can't tell the difference you have no business collecting stamps as a hobby.
    [end snarky comment]

But seriously, how many decades are the good 'ol boys going to bitch and whine about no Morse requirement, and snobbish "I remember when..." attitudes?

Let it go....this is only a HOBBY!

And it's the only HOBBY I know of (other than perhaps amateur auto racing, and piloting a small aircraft) that has a testing and licensing requirement for entry.

I got into this hobby for the same reasons I got into other hobbies I enjoy. I had an initial interest, a personal desire to learn new things, a personal determination to acquire new skills, and most of all...something to do for my PERSONAL ENJOYMENT. In 10 short months I've built 3 wire antennas, dabbled in simple electronic circuits, and I learned CW because I wanted to; NOT because I had to.

To me, a HOBBY is about expanding one's skills and knowledge. It's about exploring various aspects of the HOBBY that we find personally interesting. A HOBBY is about individual growth as our PERSONAL interests drive us.

Rather than airing personal grievances on a social forums, the good 'ol boys should consider getting on the air to encourage newbies in the HOBBY to learn and challenge themselves instead of denigrating new-comers with their condescending holier than thou attitudes and self-elitist mindsets. But, that's just my opinion...

KR3DX, KI7MDI and W6NYA like this.
  4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    And, no code extras (along with those who passed 5wpm and 20wpm Morse tests) have EXCLUSIVE use of the bottom 25 kHz of 80, 40, 20, and 15m. Reference: http://www.arrl.org/graphical-frequency-allocations

I've been living with it for > 4.5 decades. You?
    Now, back to the All Asia DX Contest (CW)...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  5. W7IFG

W7IFG Ham Member QRZ Page

By the time the solar cycle is back, all the old code guys will be dead anyway.There wont be anyone to work.

6. WA7PRC

It appears I'm not as old as you... ;)

7. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It sneaks-up on ya !! :(

8. WA7PRC

"Youth and exuberance are overcome by age and treachery."
    -Unknown

KR3DX and W5BIB like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, CW is far more active than fone.

I was a dyed in the wool fone guy until 2010, when I got back on the air in a big way and heard all the crap on the fone bands, and this drove me to CW. I rarely use the mike nowadays.

WA7PRC likes this.
  10. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

smart hams will be converting to CW in a down cycle

11. SE3X

SE3X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Those even smarter than that will probably be at JT65 or something similar, more modern ... and digital :)

12. WA7PRC

I keep hoping my microphone will become missing. ;)
    IMO, anything not decoded by the grey matter between my ears is not a challenge.

W5BIB and W1YW like this.
  13. VE3OIJ

VE3OIJ QRZ Lifetime Member #42 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've always thought that morse code proficiency could be replaced with, say a typing proficiency. That should satisfy the people who demand a barrier to entry to the hobby that requires patience and practice, but unlike morse code, actually has multiple real-world applications.

I'd say, make the basic test easy... 30 WPM over an entire page of text with no more than 2 errors: that was the pass mark for typing at the start of high school, and then for the advanced licences make it something more advanced like 60 WPM with no more than 2 errors on the page.

I know, it seems like that's hard, but honestly, you can hunt and peck 30 WPM, and 60 WPM is just practice.

KR3DX and N2SUB like this.
  14. N3IDT

N3IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, not hard for most but for me, I tried for 25 yrs off and on. Finally did the 5 wpm but my brain just can't handle it. Happy to make General in 2000 without having to do 13 wpm. I can pass any technical test but morse and music escape me.

15. W4EZY

W4EZY Ham Member QRZ Page

You did not have the time or interest to learn CW but when the CW requirement was gone, all of a sudden you found time to study for technician, general and advanced ???
    If we keep lowering standards, Ham Radio will end up like CB with no regulations. Any thing worth having is worth working for!!

KP4SX likes this.