ad: M2Ant-1

Jamaica - No more Morse code for radio operators, technicians

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1SAR, Jun 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. LU9FMS

LU9FMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that's a weird thing. I don't think CW is obsolete at all- it's just that there are many other tools and resources that people use nowadays. But hey! It is still useful to know a little bit of CW, though. :)

KF4ZKU and W4LJ like this.
  2. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too. It was hard to slow down to 13 wpm. When I went to the FCC office for the General Class exam, I was one of several who were there to take the 13 wpm exam (one minute straight, letter-for-letter perfect). One fellow was there for his Extra Class exam, and the examiner cranked the machine up for him first. I flipped my paper over and easily copied 20 wpm. It didn't count 'cuz I was a Novice, and they wouldn't let you test for Extra 'til you'd been a General or higher for at least a year.

3. KJ4YDW

KJ4YDW Ham Member QRZ Page

That is not true as I am on the bands from time to time.

4. KA7FTP

KA7FTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure you are dyslexic? Dyslexia is lack of phonemic awareness. Dislexics are visual thinkers. I also happen to be very auditory. The part of the brain that processes language is underdeveloped in dyslexics. When I was young they were not even aware of the condition. I learned morse code very easily when I was a teen ager, but have an impossible time with the written test. Later when we had a family one of my daughters was diagnosed with dyslexia. At that point it became clear what I had struggled with.

This article may help.

https://www.dyslexia.com/about-dyslexia/dyslexic-talents/the-visual-spatial-learner/

5. WA7PRC

A former boss used to say he is "lysdexic". :p

6. YV5WZ

YV5WZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you at Jamaica? from time to time on CW?

7. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You are a very rude and disrespectful person.

8. KK2DOG

KK2DOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Long live JT-65!

K2NCC likes this.
  9. WA7WJR

WA7WJR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's interesting...because I have operated almost everyday for the past 10 months and have yet to here that on phone or cw.

[sarcasim start]
    Maybe that sort of stuff is happening on the lower end of bands where the extra class ticket holders operate.
    [sarcasim end]

KR3DX likes this.
  10. KA7FTP

KA7FTP Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you figure? I was just being factual.

W7UUU likes this.
  11. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

So the no code, yes code, argument continues into infinity. There is sooooo much I would like to point out. But this is not the hill I care to die on right now. It could be just the tourist bonanza that country needs. In another 20 years, they could be on the most wanted list for DXCC credit on CW.

WA7WJR likes this.
  12. N4UVR

N4UVR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's too late now, but what should have been considered a monumental achievement is obtaining the "Extra" class license. It should have only been given to those who achieved a true code proficient ability to copy and send 21 WPM along with a passing score on the written exam. Now it is handed out to anyone that can memorize the answers in a question pool without ever making a single CW contact. Extra Class should have been what the name means. Those who achieve it now have the "Extra" privileges to operate in the allotted segments in the band plan reserved for Extra Class operators. Where is the incentive? Where is the honor of allowing those who achieved this ability to be in a class above? Perhaps Extra-Plus. Wouldn't give any additional privileges but would give credit where it is due. Anyone can operate in digital modes using the proper equipment, but a seasoned Amateur Operator can do it in their head!

N3AB likes this.
  13. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, much too late. Let's face it: Amateur Extra class is the new Novice. Spend some time on any ham radio site, and you will be a believer in short order.

N3AB likes this.
  14. WA7PRC

When FCC dropped the Morse requirement altogether, they forgot to let ALL license classes use the bottom 25 kHz of 80, 40, 20, and 15m. Someone who passed a Morse exam for the Novice/Tech/General/Advanced license isn't allowed to use it but, a no-code Extra allowed. That's bassackwrds.

Add to that, the fone bands were expanded downward, reducing the non-fone portions.

N4UVR, N3AB and W5BIB like this.
  15. KG7VTO

KG7VTO Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahh you poor punkin'. Do you want some cheese with your whine?
    "No code" extras are not allowed on the bottom portion of those bands. Now you have to find something else to make you the victim.