ad: M2Ant-1

New Icom IC-8600 Wideband, Software Defined Receiver - With Digital Decoder

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK7XX, Jun 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KK7XX

KK7XX Ham Member QRZ Page

Introducing the IC-R8600 base receiver. Whether deployed with two receivers on a single 19-inch rack, or on your desk at home, the IC-R8600 is an impressive upgrade to any serious SIGINT team, interference research team, or the avid shortwave or receiver enthusiasts. Covering 10 kHz to 3 GHz, this communication receiver enables you to hear and see a wide variety of signals on a 4.3-inch color display.

Other key features:
    • Decodes digital communication signals: P25, NXDN., D-STAR
    • Advanced FPGA processing technology provides clarity and accuracy of received signals.
    • Optional remote control software takes received audio and spectrum scope data and transfers through an IP network for monitoring from remote locations.
    • Real-time spectrum scope with a waterfall screen

More information and specifications can be found at the link below!

IC-R8600: http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=71-001699

WV4M likes this.
  2. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to be $3000. A little steep for a receiver.

3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

But will it do P25 multi-channel trunking ?

4. KC7CM

KC7CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not think it does trunking - and no DMR decoding even for something simple like the ham repeaters

Will not pay those prices unless they get more features in it - too many other radios doing more for decoding for a lot less.

I do like the 'Mute' feature - to many other radios leave that out for people who transmit as a hobby or a living.

5. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OUCH!

6. KG4OOZ

KG4OOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

News about this receiver has been floating around for months now. I just wish they would give a official release date for the US. It is already out over seas. I would love you have one but I doubt it will be anywhere near my price range. I think it would make a good partner to my 7300 and allow me to have a second receiver plus the added range that the R8600 has.

7. K4YPS

K4YPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Seller In Japan's Been Selling Them On Ebay..$2,214.00 Shipped...

K0PIR likes this.
  8. KG4OOZ

KG4OOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The is high but a lot better as far as features per dollar then the previous R8500 that has been discontinued. Still almost twice what a 7300 which is a full blown transceiver. Guess just have to see what happens when it is released over here.

9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It is nice to see Icom standardizing on a user interface. They are definitely capitalizing on the success of the UI from the 7300, which was largely lifted from the 7100, 7000, etc.

K0PIR likes this.
  10. KA0KA

KA0KA Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing that seems to be missing with ICOM in general, is bandwidth on the RXer. For years they seem to limit the SSB filters to 0-3600Hz max if you shift the filter 300Hz. Typically in 3.6K the SSB RX is 3.3K on one side-band and 300Hz on the unwanted (total is 3.6K). I hope we are getting to a point where the user defines the RX bandwidth like a real SDR type system and all this shifting like some antique RXer is going away...

The SDR PLAY/UNO is still impressive, so is the RF Space Cloud IQ for about 600 dollars but that is not going to 3GHz.

AC0OB and KC2GNV like this.
  11. EA3HUF

EA3HUF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And the SDR PLAY2/UNO is $170...

KR3DX and KA0KA like this.
  12. W6RAD

W6RAD Ham Member QRZ Page

13. W8GRI

W8GRI Ham Member QRZ Page

What is known is that the receiver is Direct Sampling up to around 70 mHz, then conventional Super-hetrodyne after....

14. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

For that kind of money for a receiver only, I would consider the new IC-7610. A step up from the IC-7300, and also a transceiver. The price being quoted for it is not much more than the 8600.

If your interest is VHF++, APCO, and other digital decoders, then it's a different story. Also, as per a previous message, it is a superhet above 70Mhz.

73 de Vince, VA3VF

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2017
    AE9AM likes this.
  15. K6BRN

K6BRN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I doubt the receiver is "traditional superhet" at any frequency. Most likely, above some frequency, it uses a superhetrodyne down-converter to feed what is now a high digitally sampled IF frequency - this is NOT traditional in any sense. Hybrid tranceivers normally use a very low IF (5-30 KHz) to feed the digital back end processor. Is it worth $2000 - $3000. Mmmmm. Not to me.