ad: QSLWorks-1

Jamaica - No more Morse code for radio operators, technicians

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1SAR, Jun 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

No.
    In 45 years, I've never tapped a straight key, and I've never called it a handkey. My Navy Radioman father would've severely admonished me.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

THATs' "HAND CW KEY". Do you think he means a kitchen appliance??

3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's ONE reference. My Navy Radioman dad would be rolling his eyes at that photo.

4. KZ4USA

KZ4USA Ham Member QRZ Page

To lazy to learn and want it given to them. Its become a JOKE

5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Gotta love it.

KD0TLS and W1YW like this.
  6. W7EKB

W7EKB Ham Member QRZ Page

That photo is most inappropriate. No one who has ever used CW would be so stupid as to set the gap that wide, and no one I've ever known, not even a new Novice "taps" the key with an index finger. Ye gods!

N7EKU and W6MQI like this.
  7. KA7FTP

KA7FTP Ham Member QRZ Page

With the contact gap pictured of that key you'd be hard pressed to send intellagable code at any speed. Tap tap tap. Get a grip on that key.

8. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

The two watermarks suggest it's a file photo from the Associated Press. Probably a posed shot in an office using a key bought at a thrift shop as a novelty.

It might also be set that wide to emphasize how the key works for video. It would be hard for viewers to see any movement with normal spacing.

Just my guess...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    N2SUB likes this.
  9. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Reasonable, given how movies or TV shows may still show operators tapping away at straight keys (and often sending gibberish). It's the same thing with other fields, sometimes the details are right, other times painfully wrong. Personally I get tired of watching "pilots" handling airplane controls as though they were driving cars.

W6MQI and N1BCG like this.
  10. N3PZZ

N3PZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh well, other things to worry about...

N2SUB likes this.
  11. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The ones who don't like CW are usually the lazy ones. Young kids today are the most laziest people I ever seen. Alot of adults also! Most just want a free pass and want it so easy to get a license. Welcome to the new world of Amateur CB!

W4HM likes this.
  12. MD0YAU

MD0YAU Ham Member QRZ Page

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

Guess who said that?

Socrates, who died in 399 B.C. The older generation has always said this about the younger generation for as long as language existed. Socrates was almost certainly not the first grumpy old man to have this sentiment and you won't be the last grumpy old man to have this sentiment. The kids you accuse of being lazy today will one day be accusing "kids of today" of being lazy.

And it's always wrong for the most part.

Yeah, I'll get off your lawn now.

KR3DX, KD0TLS, KN6Q and 1 other person like this.
  13. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know this is a bit old of a post,but seriously guys if you are so darn busy to learn the code how are you gonna find the time to play radio?

14. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

CW doesn't appeal to everyone. Some find it obsolete and irrelevant. Others don't want to spend time learning it because they are pretty sure they will never use it, for whatever reason.

If it appeals to you, then great! But understand that there are plenty of hams out there that have no desire to learn or use the mode. Doesn't make them bad, lazy, or too busy. It just means that they are not interested in that facet of our hobby.

KR3DX likes this.
  15. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nah, I don't like CW because I am dyslexic and deaf in one ear. It is mentally taxing on me to do anything but contesting using CW without a computer. I still had to pass the 20 wpm test though.

Imagine how difficult it would be for a dyslexic person to get a callsign right. LOL I have a hard enough time with SSB.

KR3DX and W4HM like this.