ad: MyersEng-1

Testing The New Military 2.0 Multiband Tuner Free HF Alpha Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N4CPR, May 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N4CPR

N4CPR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I received the new Military 2.0 Multiband Tuner Free HF Alpha Antenna a few days before leaving on vacation to Fort Myers Beach,Florida and I decided to take it with me and do an unboxing and test it out right out of the bag for the first time. Here is my results on a not so good propagation day. Propagation report provided by QRZ...thank you QRZ for all you do for the community.

NZ8X, NJ1S, IX1FIT and 5 others like this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure your video was great, but is there any way you could sum up your results in a sentence or two? I'm curious about the antenna you tested, but not 26+ minutes curious. Thanks. :cool:

AG5DB, VK6APZ/SK2022, W7XLR and 2 others like this.
  3. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just for clarity, clue us in on which military uses this antenna.
    I'm not going to sit through the video for that tidbit of information.

Have fun
    Gary

4. NF6E

NF6E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting. I was unaware of this antenna. Now added to my list for consideration. Additional info to save others the time...
    And I must agree with others that a brief listing of the pros and cons as a result of testing the antenna would be helpful, perhaps even increase the number of folks who view the video. That said, taking the time to share your experience with the community is appreciated.

W7XLR and KF6NFW like this.
  5. NA4IT

NA4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

"Just for clarity, clue us in on which military uses this antenna.
    I'm not going to sit through the video for that tidbit of information."

Gary I agree. Seems QRZ news has become a link site for videos, not actual news. With satellite Internet, I can't watch 100 videos. But I can read 10,000 news stories. :(

VK6APZ/SK2022, W7XLR, WD0FIA and 4 others like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I very much doubt the military uses are public knowledge. Just be aware that it is public knowledge that the ham bands are illegally used by non-hams.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

My thoughts--

Ferrite matched antennas are a standard albeit moderate loss option nowadays. This system is certainly rugged. Keep in mind that performance of any portable short monopole is not typically represented by beach operation. Sea water represents the best of all natural ground systems by far.

This is a nice antenna for portable operation. It reminds me of a portable monopole I set up at 13 (1968) with a music stand, telescopic whip, and tuner. Many, that's 50 years ago...

If you dont want to spend the short money on a small tuner then IMO the price of this antenna system is reasonable.

8. N4CPR

Hello Matthew,

9. N4CPR

Hello Matthew,

Thank you for watching my video for as long as you may have watched. If I just did a video with 1-2 sentences worth of info there would be other viewers who would make a comment as to why I did not show them how I set up the antenna, how did I power the equipment,was I QRP,was I running more then 100 watts etc,etc. I try on most of my videos to keep them under 10 minuets and others require more information. This was one of those videos I had just received the antenna for testing a few days before I left for my vacation so I took it with me and opened it up right out of the bag to show the viewers and set it up right on location and try it out. Being that now a days the propagation being so bad most people would enjoy hearing a contact from anywhere from a location other then where they live. If you had watched the video to the end or fast forward the video I explained how all the equipment I used worked out for me that day. It takes a lot to produce a video that others would like to watch and come back and watch more videos later. I have to come up with the Idea for the video, gather all the equipment for the video,load it into the vehicle,drive 3 hours to a location (like I did in this video) unload the equipment when I arrive at the location, setup the equipment the next day to shoot the video, pack up all the equipment after the video, then work on editing your video because you always shoot more video then what you need in case somethings goes wrong, then you have to render the video you just created,then upload the video to youtube. That was the best part because I was on vacation an it took 2 1/4 Hours to upload a video on a slow connection that would have taken under a half hour at home.

So Matthew as you can see it took me more then 1-2 sentences to write this message let alone make a video about a new product. That being said this is a hobby that I have enjoyed for the last 4 years and I started to add ham radio related videos to my youtube channel to give back to the community some of the things I have learned along the way and if the product I review works I will tell you it works and if it does not I will tell you that also. Some of the products I review work so well that I always tell people if one is good two is better and I owned several products twice.

I look forward to watching videos that you create on your channel to help the hobby and the community.

prepare for the worst and pray for the best,

Mike

K8VHL, W6NYA, K7SKE and 3 others like this.
  10. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was there a same time even saw those sun-breakers as in your video.

Traffic down there is worse than New York City, you should have turned the camera around.

B&W still sells over priced military antennas as well.

Regardless, thanks for the effort.

WD0FIA likes this.
  11. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, and B&W actually does sell to the military. These guys, not so sure.

Have fun
    Gary

WD0FIA likes this.
  12. N0TES

N0TES Ham Member QRZ Page

Alpha Antenna also has products that are available exclusively to the military. Some of the military customers that can be made public are listed here http://alphaantenna.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=6
    Our latest military options can be seen at SOFIC this week in the Tactical Electronics booth and the civilian systems at the Xenia Hamvention in the Alpha Antenna booth 3207.
    Steve/N0TES

13. GW6CZE

GW6CZE Ham Member QRZ Page

must be a politician endless twaddle and answer to question avoided lol

KF2M, K1CYN, WB5THT and 3 others like this.
  14. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Good video on portable operation Mike. I used the Alpha MOTO portable with 13ft whip and had similar results. Nice portable setup and I especially like your solar panel. Best 73!

N9MET likes this.
  15. N3CB

N3CB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

26:40 of "...here", "...there", "..here", "..there", "..here", "...here", "...here", "..there", "..here", "..there", "..here". Please buy a thesaurus, not a new antenna. This documentary is not much more than a glorified advertisement for Powerfilm, a beach umbrella and his Youtube channel. Barely an ad for Alpha's antenna...as you "sort of" see it in the background..."there"....ah, I mean "here".

Chris

KD2AZ, VK6APZ/SK2022, K1CYN and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.