ad: CQMM-1

SOTA - From A Beginner's Perspective!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, May 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Join me on my first journey into SOTA (Summits on the Air) as I activate Shovel Mountain (Identifier: W5T-NT033) located in Central Texas.

Just a precautionary statement to all radio ops - This. Is. Addictive. (you've been warned.)

K5ACL
    'SignalSearch'

KB3UYT, N0BML, N9UO and 4 others like this.
  2. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to ask, how much weight was all that? I can't imagine dragging all that up to a summit.
    Otherwise though it looks like you had a good time and made some contacts! I'd say a majority of the guys chasing SOTA run CW, I'm not sure if you're a cw guy or not but if you aren't SOTA is a great activity to learn it for.

W7UUU and W5KV like this.
  3. W5KV

Probably around 30-35 lbs. I LOVE ruck marches though. Was one of my favorite pastime from the Army! I started learning CW about a few weeks ago (soon!)

K5ACL

4. K9EZ

K9EZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Now lets get you on CW!

Kent, K9EZ

W5KV likes this.
  5. KP3N

KP3N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like you had a lot of fun, Nice job!

73's
    KP4OSP

W5KV likes this.
  6. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very cool SOTA trip, thanks for sharing, and Thanks too for your service! I've been doing some backpacking QRP, but also may do some shorter trips with IC7000 and Lipo batts.
    Keep the field trip vids coming. 73

W5KV likes this.
  7. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I've not registered for SOTA or BOTA, but I 've sure had fun on summits and beaches. I call it "Semi-SOTA" and "Semi-BOTA". I've mainly used 2 meter SSB and FM.

Using my Utility Vehicle (UTV) from my primary location in West Virginia, I can easily get to ridge-top "radio line-of-sight" locations "see" into Virginia, Washington DC, Maryland, and Pennsylvania by going a few hundred feet into one of my neighbor's farm pastures. (Yes, I have permission.)

Our beach home in Caswell Beach, NC, is near the Oak Island Lighthouse. I've never operated from the lighthouse itself, but I've transported myself and equipment on my bicycle to operate from the walkway extending from the lighthouse, over the dunes, to the ocean. It has "radio line-of-sight" well into all of South Carolina. I've still not gotten into Georgia, Florida, Virginia, or Maryland from there on 2 meters, but many major cities in those states are over water from that location.

Have fun.

Ken
    K8KJG

K5JM and W5KV like this.
  8. KK0NIG

KK0NIG Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked a SOTA 60 miles away on 2M!

Kris

K5JM and W5KV like this.
  9. WW5RM

WW5RM Guest

Awesome dude! If you get a chance come up and hit the Oauchita and Ozark Summits north of me up in Ark! Ive only hit a few as my heart and back wont let me hump it like i use to but its a few a real short hike from the road! One is 10 points with pick nick tables! =]

Watch for Andrew - KD5ZZK on APRS he is up there often! Usually a week at a time! Let me know if you go i can tell you some great places to camp or cabin to rent.

Thank You for your service brother! 8 yr Combat Infantryman myself.

de WW5RM

W5KV likes this.
  10. W7JET

W7JET Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SOTA is a great time and it gets even better with CW. I have activated 139 summits and 122 of them unique. Until I reached Mountain Goat I did 100% unique. Now that I have the Goat I do repeat the ones that were cool or easy to get to. I still really enjoy doing the first time never been on the air summit activations. The remote hard to get to ones are very rewarding. You are right it is highly addictive I could not agree more. We are having a celebration tomorrow here in the W7A for our latest Mountain Goat W7USA Ray who is #5 for us.

73 W7JET Brian

K5JM and W5KV like this.
  11. W5KV

Thank YOU for your service! Hooah!

I'll keep those summits in mind, I'm sure as I venture further into SOTA, the road trips will get longer! Thanks!

Wow! The coveted Mountain Goat! Very cool... Thanks for all your hard work! & Congrats Ray - W7USA!

12. K0VWA

K0VWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats and thanks for sharing. We've done two official SOTA activations (W0C/FR-052 and W0C/FR-165) and a few just for fun. You're right about it being addictive. Now we always search the SOTA site for nearby activation points wherever we go camping.

W5KV likes this.
  13. W7JET

W7JET Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your welcome enjoy SOTA. For almost all the activations I have done I use a home brew linked Dipole and for the radio it's either my Yaesu FT-817 or a Youkits HB1B CW radio. I use a collapsible fish pole for the support. For 2m I use and HT with a roll up j-pole. I usually carry 3 to 4 liters of water here in the desert along with other equipment but try to keep my pack weight below 25 lbs. A normal load for me is 23 lbs. My early packs were around 32lbs till I figured out what I need and don't need.

W5KV likes this.
  14. N9UO

N9UO Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice work! You're right, it is addicting. I love being outdoors and half the fun is the hike up there. Hope to work you sometime.

73's

W5KV likes this.
  15. KD5OM

KD5OM Premium Subscriber

Sounds like you really enjoyed your activation. I like to see how far I can get, on the air and climbing, and with much less gear. My only constructive advise is to LIGHTEN YOUR LOAD! No need for 8X. You could feed the antenna right from the place you are sitting and have no feedline. The TS-480 is a very nice radio but would not be my first choice to go on a hike with. You can make great contacts with QRP. And I do hope you pick up CW. Next time see if all your gear can be packed in less than 10 pounds including battery. Best of 73s and I hope to hear you on soon. Jerry KD5OM.

W5KV likes this.