ad: M2Ant-1

How I Deal With Stucco...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Mar 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is trying to find a place to live that is NOT deed restricted. It is becoming increasingly more and more difficult to find areas NOT encumbered by HOA's.

KF4ZKU and AB4D like this.
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here in CO, the population has increased by a 4X since antenna (and many other) CC&Rs became standard in new housing developments. As a result, most of the housing stock is antenna restricted or prohibited.

The advice of "don't move into a deed restricted community" doesn't work very often here. In many areas there isn't any older housing at all except the odd farm house that somehow survived when development came. And, the roads are extremely crowded so it's usually impractical to get a house far away and commute to work.

It really has become a coercive situation here. In most cases, if you want to live in a house, you will live under restrictions.

KF4ZKU and WJ6F like this.
  3. AB4D

AB4D QRZ Lifetime Member #415 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I agree with your statement. I am preparing to relocate to the coast of North Carolina, and nearly every nice property is located within a community that has an HOA. Sure, someone can buy in an older neighborhood without an HOA, but frankly I don't want to live next door to Fred Sanford's wrecking yard, or Farmer Ruth and her collection of wayward animals and whimsical yard art. I'm prepared to give up ham radio for the most part, except for a bit of mobile or portable operating.

4. KA7RIC

KA7RIC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When you drill a hole and insert the long barrel extension it will served as a radials to your antenna. It's a good grounding.

5. K0CMD

K0CMD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ever try to connect to that chicken wire and radiate the house?

WJ6F likes this.
  6. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

No, as that would require making a hole somewhere in the wall, and don't think the XYL would be overly pleased about that.

7. AB4EJ

AB4EJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry, I missed something. I thought the video was going to explain why stucco is so bad, but I didn't get that out of it. OK, so the house is also a Faraday cage. I gather the reason that is a problem is that you were planning on putting the antenna inside the house, and yes, the Faraday cage would be a problem. You solved it by putting the antenna outside the house (like everyone else does). Good work. (Or, is there more to the story?) - I had a whole stealth antenna system in a restricted neighborhood, complete with a rotatable, camouflaged hexbeam that looked like a tree from the street. Took my inspiration from the French resistance.

WJ6F likes this.
  8. KX1G

KX1G Ham Member QRZ Page

I lived in a stucco house for 12 years with no issue. Unless you have your antenna in the house behind the chicken wire you should have no problem. 73, KX1G

9. W7BBQ

W7BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Except North Texas and Oklahoma have become Earthquake Avenue in the last few years. Right at the intersection of Earthquake Avenue and Tornado Alley.

Ray - Kentucky Fried Five Barbecue

WJ6F likes this.
  10. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Thankfully here in California, we have really only one natural disaster, earthquakes, unless you count jerry "moonbeam" brown.

11. N8WJR

N8WJR Ham Member QRZ Page

I also have a stuco home here in Nevada. I purchased 12 gauge brown THHN wire. I built a dipole and draped it over my home. No complains in 4 months. World wide contacts with voice, code and JT65..

12. INTREPID

INTREPID QRZ Member

Can you please say that in English? I need a SoCal solution too!

13. K6BRN

K6BRN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no real problem with stucco... in Florida or California. Its an easy material to work with.... strong, yet easy to put feed-throughs in, easy to patch, takes paint well.

Contrary to claims, the wire backing found in many stucco homes is way too "leaky" and lossy to form an effective Faraday cage or "counterpoise", not to mention all the holes provided by the roof and windows.

The most effective solution Ive found is to install a section of PVC pipe as a feed-through and run all coax, grounds and rotator wire tbrough the feed through.

There are explicit instructions on the forums detailing exactly how to do this. Suggest Googling stucco coax feedthrough K6BRN.

I've put in several and when done well they are weatherproof, mouseproof and hard to tell they are even there. Your XYL will not care, unless you are a real klutz with a drill and hammer, which many people are.

Brian - K6BRN

And regarding Jerry Brown... its nice to have an intelligent governor who is not beholden to anyone.and can follow his conscience. Not too many states can claim that. Nor do too many states have economies larger than France. Just California.

14. SGO1

SGO1 QRZ Member

I'm sorry but Jerry Brown is an absolute imbecile!

http://www.breitbart.com/california...oppose-gov-jerry-browns-plan-raise-gas-taxes/

The guy is running the state into the ground faster than the Hindenburg! They've been pushing taxes increases every year and the business have been leaving the California at lightning speed:

http://conservativeworlddaily.com/california-close-going-bankrupt-politicians-appear-unconcerned/

http://www.breitbart.com/california...lees-golden-state-for-greener-pastures-in-tn/

- SGO1

N6PJB and WJ6F like this.
  15. K6BRN

K6BRN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"SGO1" Anonymous, eh?

"Breitbart"? Never has there been as humorous a collection of confused "reporters" since Fox News bit the dust. Its like the amateur version of "Saturday Night Live", only the humor is not intentional.

Do you live here, in CA? Might want to try it.

My business is doing great, so is my wife's, my neighbors, too. CA economy is booming. If this is the "ground", what's up? A trailer park? You might have things just a little upside-down.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. At least over politics.

Still think stucco is easy to work with and have never had a problem with it.