ad: Flexradio-1

Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 95

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Mar 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Living in a land down under
    Where women glow and men plunder
    Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
    You better run, you better take cover
    AF4RK/H (Humor)
    :)

W0PV and VK6NO like this.
  2. VK6NO

VK6NO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done John I needed a laugh this morning as I just had to climb my tree to recover the rubbish bin. 73 Lindsay

3. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

In relation to the discussion on who may operate club stations under which conditions and whether any supervision is required, guidance on this can be found in the ACMA's Apparatus Licence Information Paper http://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Spe...s/amateur-apparatus-licence-information-paper

I would regard this as higher authority than a 'view' in an email from the WIA, which although it has particular functions devolved to it, is not the spectrum regulator.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  4. VK6NO

VK6NO Ham Member QRZ Page

Peter I agree with what you say but it raises a few legal questions as this podcast first presented.

Do we have to use the words portable/mobile etc as per

http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/TV-Radio/Radio/Marine-and-Amateur-Radio/amateur-operating-procedures

This one we are being told has no legal foundation at all as it is an opinion or just suggested operating procedure.

Now we are confronted with this one

http://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Spe...s/amateur-apparatus-licence-information-paper

Is it the legal document or suggested opinion again. This one tends to more legal but another question arises. Why is it written on some club callsigns and not on others?

As the regulator put to me by phone, my callsign or club callsign is issued to an individual and that I see as the explosive piece. I cannot go to your shack and sign as VK6NO as your address does not belong to me , I'm licensed 1000's of kilometres away. I can use it but I am the second operator and your log will show that.

It was also explained, I cannot hand my callsign to a standard licence and rely on their honesty to use it at the required level. If I am mobile and my lady friend is talking to my mate as second operator and I go to buy our burgers all transmission must stop immediately as no one is supervising the stations correct use. I am the person responsible.

So we are left with a minefield of legal questions that do really need answers. From past experience I can comment on some of this. Amateur radio inspectors travelled by road during their inspections in the north west. Exams were held at my premises and all inspectors called in as mobile stations and operated portable from their equipment. Once entering my premises they would chat locally in my shack as VK6NO/second operator to other hams etc.
    Hope this has been constructive as GEE I'm being hammered.

Regards Lindsay VK6NO

VK6NSB likes this.
  5. VK6NSB

VK6NSB Ham Member QRZ Page

They have a CLUB ADVANCED CALL, but NO CLUB ROOMS. And a "F" call and Standard lic holder can authorize themselves to use the Club license away from the registered address which is a private house

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  6. VR2BG

VR2BG Ham Member QRZ Page

If VK is still a common law place, then anything not in your telecom law, subsidiary legislation (aka regulations), or on the licence itself - is of no significance.

In the regulations there is no requirement to sign anything other than the issued callsign, yet in one of those links above the VK TA suggests how one might identify if located other than at the location given on the licence.

I also note in nearly 40 years, I can't recall a VK starting a CW transmission with the CT prosign. Yet the VK TA suggests VKs should do this. Seems to me this might be a case of solutions looking for a problem, which is something civil servants seem to excel at. ;^)

73, ex-VR2BG/p.

7. VK6APZ/SK2022

VK6APZ/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

7.15 When calling for the purpose of establishing communications , and at the end of each series of transmissions, the operator of a amateur station that is
    being operated as a mobile station or away from the authorized location shall indicate clearly from which he is transmitting, and that he is operating mobile
    or at an alternative location, call signs must be announced at least every ten minutes.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

As someone pointed out, its not required, but certainly not illegal in the US.

OTOH, there are times when it makes no sense to sign "/X". DX pileups in particular: its slows down the DX station and oftentimes they have to repeat the callsign..

Chip W1YW

9. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I lived in Cupertino, CA, in 1994 a 5.1 temblor struck while I was on the air and I wondered if I could sign /M EQ. When I went through three hurricanes here in Florida in 2004 I wondered if I could sign /M HU. In those cases my stations and antennas were literally moving around.;):eek:

Though I'm an avid QRPer I don't sign /QRP because it can draw intentional QRM by QRP haters and also because I don't want the station I'm working to listen any more intently then he/she normally would if I were QRO.

BTW I have never listened to a hamateur podcast as it's never interested me personally. I'd rather be on the air making contacts.

10. HA5AH

HA5AH Ham Member QRZ Page

Outside of legal requirements which vary from one country to another, not adding /QRP will have the operator at the receiving end thinking that your antenna is not much better than a dummy load. Hi !

11. KE4YMX

KE4YMX Ham Member QRZ Page

when i'm operating QRP i also do not tell the Op that i'm running 5W at first,, if and when the conversation goes to the equip setup i will advise i'm running 5W using a dipole which typically is given a compliment, i humbly revert back with thanks for coming back to me and if they are using a beam i acknowledge they're helping me being heard. I do not call or reply /QRP when operating, however i do use /portable when i'm camping or /mobile when i'm in the car or /maritime when i'm on my sailboat as a way to inform the other Op i'm not at home. right or wrong not sure,, but it's common sense to me.

73 de fernando ke4ymx

WB3X likes this.
  12. KI8W

KI8W Ham Member QRZ Page

I still hear a lot of...

This is (callsign inserted here), for ID.

Uh, what else would you be using your call sign for?

KE4YMX, WB3X and AF4RK like this.
  13. KA4RUR

KA4RUR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't speak for other countries -- But in the U S one or more indicators may be included with the call sign. Each indicator must be separated from the call
    sign by the slant mark (/) or by any suitable word that denotes the slant mark. (FCC 97.119(c) ) ....

14. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do other operators harass W2Nq /portable W7? Entertaining and occasionally annoying :). He tends to swear a bunch when he is on.......Fun to record these interactions. Caught a few funny snippets yesterday on 14.209.15.

15. N3KIP

N3KIP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The UK does have rules about /P and /M, etc., and list the following suffixes under 'Notes' :-

/A = Alternative Address
    /P = Temporary Location
    /M = Mobile
    /MM = Maritime Mobile

However, the current rules require a pedestrian portable to sign as a /M. I am pretty sure nobody does this and they are all still signing /P, as required by an older set of rules. At any rate, if you are walking down the street, how can anyone argue that you are NOT at a Temporary Location? The latter would be /P anyway. There is no mention of /AM, only a prohibition on operating from an aircraft atall, but I believe it is possible to get a /AM permit to do this. Older rules required an amateur on a ship at anchor to sign /MA, but this disappeared from the rules, so I presume it is now also /MM? At any rate, operating /MM requires permission from the master of the vessel, usually the captain, although I suppose the radio officer is his deputy for this purpose. Vessels on inland (tidal) waterways have long been /M and not /MM. /A vanished from the rules at one time, but I see it is back. I think /A may only apply to a second location at an address that you have given the authorities, though, or at least that used to be the rule, so otherwise you would be /P.

No other suffixes appear in the rules. No /Bagel or /X or /QRP. Operating QRP from a Temporary Location is /P QRP, not /P/QRP, with a space, not a /.

Operating 'portable' in another country doesn't require a suffix in UK rules, or in international rules for that matter. If you have not actually been issued a callsign, you use a prefix, not a suffix, i.e. M0/(home call) if you have full licence privileges while visiting the UK. Even under US FCC rules, which allow either a prefix or a suffix, going with the prefix means you are actually obeying ITU (international) rules as well, i.e. W3/G8VUK is much better than G8VUK/W3 (but as I actually have a US call I must use that instead).

Apparently VK and the US are not so particular, but why not follow the UK as a guide? We are British, so you know we are correct to a fault!

73 de Alun, G8VUK, N3KIP