ad: M2Ant-1

HamRadioNow: That ARRL Entry Level License Survey

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Mar 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A joke entry?

2. N5IPA

N5IPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Then making it easy to get a special license to cater to the Iot crowd seems counter productive to all other ways we use the bands. The more that comes out in this thread the more it seems like the ultimate goal of changing the licensing protocols is to get rid of ham, how many proposing these changes will benefit from bands being sold to the highest bidder?

3. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I JUST THINK THE CB SERVICE NEEDS TO BE ABOLISHED. REallocate that SPECTRUM BACK TO Amateurs.
    STOP allowing cb rigs to be manufactured. UPGRADE GMRS SERVICE AND SERVICES WITH SIMILAR VHF/UHF SPECTRUM.
    Encourage the vhf/uhf services.

4. KW5M/SK2023

KW5M/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Passing the test is not a learning experience anymore...it's an exercise in memorizing...that's where the "dumbing down" comes from.
    When you here a General Class who doesn't know what the SWR on ten meters should be..or an Extra Class that asks where the coax connect to or where to connect the power cable to....something is damn sure wrong with the testing....
    Quantity over quality and everybody gets a friggin trophy....What the hell is "The Amateur Radio Service" anyway????
    KW5M

WD4DXQ, N5IPA and AD5KO like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Flawed logic.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Flawed [​IMG]
    logic.

I am EAGER to BUY ALL THAT HAM HF Spectrum Yowsah!

Return the ionosphere to its natural state....

Bah! Hambug!!

Hambug I say!!

7. N5IPA

Is the problem with the test, or how people prepare for the test? If the answers were not published then memorizing the answers would not be an option, if there were more help for the new ham's they would have some one to ask before they got on the air. There is no perfect solution, but there are far better ones than reducing the question pool size and or creating a new license class.

8. N5IPA

Please explain

9. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the point in that, Hams don't use the 2 meter band anymore. I suspect more people are logged onto this forum than are actively engaged on the air (2 meter vhf / USA) at this instance in time.

10. N5IPA

That is funny right there, I am doing both right now.

AD5KO likes this.
  11. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I make great use of the 2m band -- but definitely not for FM. ;)

AD5KO likes this.
  12. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

So much for weekly vhf nets and the many thousands of APRS stations then. I am running an APRS station as I type this.

AB4D and N5IPA like this.
  13. N5IPA

It is just a question no need to panic the sky is not falling, or is it?

14. N5IPA

My APRS station will be up and running this weekend

AB4D and AD5KO like this.
  15. K4SBZ

K4SBZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem with today's "entry level" license is with the privileges. Although there are a few HF privileges, a tech is usually handed an HT and taught how to contact the repeater. Wow, talk about ham radio excitement! Yes. there are a few HF privileges, but they are limited and not anything to entice a new ham to try HF.

IMHO, a license that would give a new ham a taste of all the excitement available on HF, as well as VHF & UHF, including voice and digital, with low power restrictions, would do wonders to increase the interest in our hobby. It could be a new license with restrictions and a time limit or it could be accomplished be adding additional privileges to our existing Technician Class license.

Regardless, we have to somehow encourage new hams to get past the HT phase and try something new, either in HF or in the newer reaches of the UHF bands, or a new mode. or EME or fox hunting or kit building or .......

Stan, K4SBZ