ad: TinyPaddle-1

Yaesu Announces FT-70DR 5W Dual-Band C4FM HT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Mar 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W4LKO

W4LKO Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-70D_F_close.jpg
    Today, Yaesu announced the FT-70DR, a 5W Dual-Band C4FM Handheld. The FT-70DR is a compact System Fusion transceiver providing both conventional analog FM operation and the advanced C4FM Digital mode.

Other standard features and functions of the FT-70DR include
    • IP54 Rating (Dust/ Water Protection) construction
    • Wide band receive coverage of 108 – 579.995MHz
    • Versatile Scanning Capabilities such as Programmable VFO Scan
    • Memory Scan
    • Priority Channel Scan
    • External DC Jack for DC Supply Operation and to Charge the Battery
    • Mini USB port for convenient programming and software updates
    • CTCSS/ DCS Operation
    • Automatic Power Off (AFO) feature
    • RF Squelch
    • Transmitter Time Out Timer (TOT)
    • Busy Channel Lock-Out (BCLO)
    Full specifications and features can be found by clicking HERE

IX1FIT and W5CJA like this.
  2. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Liked the form factor of the other new Yaesu handhelds. This one looks....fugly. Anyways, will probably be a nice and cheaper system fusion addition to the lineup.

3. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Another single mode HT? Until somebody has one with all digital modes so you only have to carry one to keep in touch I'm not interested. The Kenwood NX-5200/5300 is as close as it gets with two digital modes (plus FM) but it's only one band.

OZ1RE likes this.
  4. W7OTG

W7OTG Ham Member QRZ Page

C4FM really cool to make it affordable. Love system fusion! Yaesu is imho the best digital company currently.

KC3HRV, WJ6F, AD0MI and 1 other person like this.
  5. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm confused why this is priced at 200 bucks, when a full power mobile with C4FM is available for 150???

K2HAT likes this.
  6. KN0DE

KN0DE Ham Member QRZ Page

That HT is an dual band, when a FT-3200DR is just 2 meters. And also it probably costs more money to put system fusion in to a HT. Well, thats my best guess anyways :).

73'
    Luke KM6DJS

KV4BL and AD0MI like this.
  7. KM4DMY

KM4DMY Ham Member QRZ Page

On the Gigaparts website it says that it transmits both VHF and UHF...yea or nay??

8. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

It is dual band.

Still, 200 bucks is kind of nuts for a 2m/440cm ht.

K2HAT likes this.
  9. WB8NUT

WB8NUT Ham Member QRZ Page

When compared to the cheap Chinese radios, it is expensive, but the Chinese radios are really throw-aways. $199 (I'm sure the price will go down over time) for a quality dual band digital and FM handheld is a very affordable price.

KV4BL, K7BOA and KF5VGK like this.
  10. KF5VGK

KF5VGK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, you can still spend $150 on an FT-60r...or spend $50 more and get Fusion! I'm buying!

KG4Y, W7OTG, VE5RH and 7 others like this.
  11. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What dual band fusion mobile is $150? Cheapest I've seen is around $300.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

KG5EXW likes this.
  12. AK4PY

AK4PY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm... not seeing a WiRES-X button and haven't been able to find any mention of WiRES-X control support. I'm thinking (and hope that I am wrong) that this is another release by Yaesu stripping out WiRES-X controls. That is unfortunate, because it rules out an affordable radio as being one that I would recommend to other hams in my area. Can anyone confirm or debunk that this radio is not capable of controlling a digital WiRES-X node?

13. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a very fair statement. If one is wanting a cheaper digital dual band HT, from a reputable company, this seems like a good one to go with.

KF5VGK likes this.
  14. KE0IMD

KE0IMD Ham Member QRZ Page

He's likely referring to the FTM-3200DR 2-meter rig that's been selling like hotcakes since December of last year. It's a fun little radio, but I think this HT could be just as fun. Yaesu has done a stellar job cutting corners to bring the costs down while still preserving a reliable and quality radio.

I paid $160 for my FTM-3200DR. For $40 more, I could have less power, but with C4FM UHF capability... in my pocket. Sold.

KF5VGK likes this.
  15. N8FM

N8FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu needs to fix the desense problem in the FTM-400DR/XDR before I'll entertain the notion of buying any more of their products.