ad: Radclub22-1

New USB interface for HF digital modes by MFJ

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Mar 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

nope..don't buy this ...get the MFJ 1275 it is worth the money! no need to buy extra cables, just plug into your computer sound ports,radio ext speaker port,adjust the jumpers,adjust the the internal sound card in your computer, adjust the mic gain ( NEVER LET THE ALC SHOW ) set the switch where it says input to " both " and use the vox and start with the radio @ 100 watts and use the mic gain control to maintain lowest power setting and use the audio settings on the computer. PLEASE NOTE: there are different settings for other bands AND other modes. modes like JT65 and JT9 the audio settings are a little tricky. de KA1BSZ/M OLIVIA 8/500 14.072 DAILY!

2. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a $25 device. Tops.

AD0AC likes this.
  3. KC2QQR

KC2QQR Ham Member QRZ Page

I like my Signalink... just way too easy to set up, and the manual controls on the front make it nice. One thing I love about the Signalink is the fact that there is a ON/OFF switch on it... I don't know how many times I would've accidentally keyed up my rig if it wasn't for that simple feature! It's almost like a safety on a firearm. :)

N7AFB and KF5RHI like this.
  4. WA7LTR

WA7LTR Ham Member QRZ Page

SignaLink does not support 9600 baud. The 1204 does. Considering one of these for VHF due to the higher baud rate capability.

5. NQ4T

NQ4T Ham Member QRZ Page

Uhh...how?

I will be the first to admit; I am *not* a fan of Signalinks or any of these already made solutions because they're way too expensive for what they put in to it. But the Signalink is literally just a more complicated version of this; it's a sound device linked through isolation using a much more complicated method of PTT triggering. I can't see *any* technical reason...being just a sound card...that the device wouldn't do 9600 baud. Well..ok..I take it back. If they used really cheap transformers that had a limited bandwidth; I could see 9600baud failing. Having never seen one on the spectrum, I don't know how much audio bandwidth it consumes.

But if that's the only reason...then it's a pretty easy one to get around; but you would think for the price you pay...they'd use full-bandwidth isolation transformers.

Looking at this schematic for the 1204...it makes zero sense. It looks like a basic voltage-doubling VOX circuit I've seen designs for. Audio isolation transformer seens to have multiple secondary taps...with the VOX circuit pulling off the "highest" part of the secondary. That helps aleviate some problems of not having enough current to trigger and the VOX circuit pulling the audio down; but these are all fixed values. You are at their mercy of what the delay is set to.

That is *no better* than using VOX on a rig with a direct audio cable to a computer.

You can build the same thing for close to 1/10th of the price; and you can really get it down to 1/10th if you go the physical hardware control route and use a serial dongle with RTS.

I guess this will just put a few more people on digital modes with the things set to "Default Devices" so we get system sounds and JTAlert coming over the band.

6. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

People tell me Signalink USB works with RPi3 and Raspbian.

7. W8ZAC

W8ZAC Ham Member QRZ Page

that thing looks like a dumpster fire in a small box

N7AFB likes this.
  8. W9USS

W9USS Ham Member QRZ Page

If you open the case, the usb cable unplugs and is a standard cable.

9. N8DAH

N8DAH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

so they took a usb sound card and put some optos on it......looks like crap and the usb cable in the back gave me a good laugh. We have a saying about mfj around my family "Mighty Fine Junk". 100$ for this is a joke.....that is about 25-30$ in parts and some time on a case ....

10. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe the joke is on you, MFJ has been around for 30+ years selling products for Ham radio, so what have you accomplished with your life?

G3SEA and K5RCD like this.
  11. WA6AM

WA6AM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking about getting into the Digital modes. But now I kinda think I'll pass. Yeah "FREE SPEACH " and all,
    but if this is any indication of how those Modes are ....Forget it! Remember new folks and poor folks and old folks on a fixed income read this stuff too. Negative and counter productive comments hurt the hobby. This old man LIKES MFJ and has for over 30 yrs.
    Not all of their stuff is Perfect, but will do in a pinch. How about telling us what make and model you use and why and compare it to this new one.
    just my thoughts ......thanks and 73 all.

G3SEA, N7AFB, K7LNP and 1 other person like this.
  12. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

PSK31 is pretty cool!! You can load a couple of macros (pre canned text) and dump all the ad nauseam onto some one else who intern dumps their macro file onto you.....It was fun for a while, however my attention span is on par with that of a 2 year old and now it does nothing for me.

NH6RF likes this.
  13. N8DAH

If people are happy to spend that much on this go for it ....I just gave my 2 cents and a bit of a joke no need to get all nasty with me about it. Junk for 5 years or 30 is still junk. I would tell any ham to build one or buy a used signal link before I would suggest MFJ, you don't have to agree.

KF5RHI likes this.
  14. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Just reflecting your actions.

15. N8DAH

I'm confused as to how my comments could be taken as personal attacks but that's fine good luck with fishing for more reactions. I'll also add if people take comments made about a peace of gear made by a company as a reflection of the mode...other than that being short sighted I'm at a loss for words.