ad: ProAudio-1

Chameleon Antenna Deployment Configurations

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Mar 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC8YXA

KC8YXA Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good video you got me to thinking and building in my head. Looks like I will be ordering an antenna.

WJ6F likes this.
  2. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for watching! I have thoroughly enjoyed this antenna.

3. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

While almost any conductor will radiate to some extent, my experience is that any short single length radiator with a 'Magic Box' at the bottom is more severe compromise than acceptable as the box is primarily a 'SWR load(exception, if the box is a 9+:1 balun and the radiator is of proper length). Run 5 minutes of 30W psk or 100W cw through it and see how hot the magic box gets. If it gets hot, that is where your power is going. There is no free lunch. If I can't understand the theory of how it meets it's 'claims' I usually take a pass. There are satisfactory compromise antennas but they usually obey the laws of physics. YMMV

N6SPP likes this.
  4. VE3BF

VE3BF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Okay I gotta ask, why you need a hand gun in the shot are you compensating for something? :) Only in the USA you Americans crack me up.

5. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nah, he is probably just protecting himself from those wacky Canadians. ;) :D :p

KK5R, K3FHP and VE3BF like this.
  6. K1SZO

My Hybrid Mini with a Cha-Mil vertical and a counterpoise (along with my 2m/70cm) at 70 feet up off my balcony. I have the Cha-Mil extension which improves 60m-160m, but the wind has to be calm or it's hard to keep stable.

[​IMG]

NA7RX, KD8WBZ and WJ6F like this.
  7. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish I could get my antenna 70 feet off of the ground.

8. N0RDC

N0RDC Ham Member QRZ Page

I run a Chameleon V1L on my 06 Ram, and am getting ready to try an experiment for Field Day with the Cha MIL and MIL EXT and a little 6 radial cap hat with my FT-857d and a YT-100 tuner. While I have replaced my V1L twice, I strike obstacles and drive out in the desert a LOT, so for what its worth, their mobile antenna is a pretty hearty setup.
    N0RDC DE Dutch

9. N0RDC

N0RDC Ham Member QRZ Page

You should have seen my V1L on the highway with the Hustler SS-5 spring, unintentional NVIS!!! Thanks too Cal-Av, I now have a vertical even at 70 mph...they custom drilled their military spring to 3/8-24 and gave it a black oxide finish...PRICEY, but totally worth it.

K1SZO likes this.
  10. K1SZO

There are pluses and minutes to it. Being 70 feet up is a real plus, but my building acts like a giant faraday cage and blocks about 195 degrees. I can hear Ireland and I've heard Texas, but the rest of Europe, and pretty much anywhere east of Texas and south of there is a no-go. (my balcony faces Northwest)

Hi Canada.

WJ6F likes this.
  11. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I know the feeling! My house is made of stucco (the standard building material of california). It is a real RF nightmare! I am trying to get my antenna an additional 8 feet up so i can clear my roof! Here is a video I did about my stucco issue,

W4POT, KK5R and N0RDC like this.
  12. XE2LVM

XE2LVM Ham Member QRZ Page

Me parese exelente la vi trabajar con mi amigo Ismael Xe1ay. Y voy a mandar pedir una Antena Camaleon...gracias por la explicacion. Atte XE2LVM JORGE..

KK5R and WJ6F like this.
  13. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

¡Gracias por tomarse el tiempo para ver y para el comentario!

KK5R likes this.
  14. KG5EXW

KG5EXW Ham Member QRZ Page

"This can prove extremely useful when operating portable, SOTA or if you happen to live in a restrictive HOA."

WJ6F likes this.
  15. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I do live in an extremely restrictive HOA. They just sent a "rules" update regarding the Amateur Radio Parity Act, should it pass. They are already trying to regulate it.... Although some of their wording will work in my favor!

KK5R and N0RDC like this.