ad: CQMM-1

FCC issues a Notice of Violation to Solar City for RFI Inteferance

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NS6Q, Mar 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

John, the 12VDC panels typically run between 17 and 19 VDC in full sunlight. 12 volt batteries need about 15.1 VDC to run an equalization charge, so this allows for some loss and conversion in order to make everything work well. On a cold winter day, the panels produce even more voltage, so it's fairly normal for W0AAT's panel string to produce over 80VDC on a cold winter day.

I think her point was that the smaller 12VDC panels are smaller and easier to man handle vs the larger 235+ watt grid tie panels. Tied into series, they work the same anyways.

2. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I can see that, still, it seems like a waste. When that optimizer is in Boost mode (assuming that is what it actually does) the system is now wasting power. So,does that loss offset the IR loss from running lower volts??? if their is a cost advantage to the end user I highly doubt it is even worth thinking about. Their marketing sounds VERY impressive "optimizer".

AD0MI likes this.
  3. AD0MI

improved and optimized, just like Yaesu's firmware updates!

W4YEM likes this.
  4. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

You should back up your " It does work, however it is not viable and is more of cool novelty instead of solution. "
    And not with someone setting up a system incorrectly .
    I know hundreds + of installations , both residential & commercial , all paid for themselves or soon to be , and would do it again yrs. later .

AD0MI , Again people that are not familiar with what they are talking about , 17 - 19 volts may be on the spec. panel of a 12v panel - but the 17-19volts is open circuit and you will not see that voltage connected to even a fully charge battery , same on how a battery voltage is measured - call a standard , not seconds after disconnecting a charger , but " after rest " meaning that a stabilized voltage that reduces after charge , and measuring a battery with a possible issue , putting a min. load / depending on size of battery then measuring .
    And lastly , a load test to check capacity .

AA5BK likes this.
  5. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

There are filters designed specifically for solar installations. They cost a lot of money so of course they are not used unless they are forced to.

6. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Current energy storage technology is lacking, so on the "good" days you have surplus capacity and nowhere to go with it. If you are grid tied it depends on many factors specifically how much the end user is being compensated for the power contributed to the grid. When you consume grid power you pay retail, when you supply you get wholesale pricing, unless that is different in your area. Any one that invests 5 digits into a solar power system on the premise of a 10 year ROI is nuts..... especially in Indiana. If you have plenty of cheap land in the dessert and grid tie it might be viable at some point.

7. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

If you had hands on experience , you would answers for your wrong arguments .
    There are number of battery systems that have 10 yrs , 20 yrs , 40 yrs + life , my last RV system lasted 12 1/2 yrs. and mainly died because of not using anymore about yr. 12 , then froze in MN winter , and all those are flooded lead acid , other batteries depending on your needs & design , can use salt batteries etc.
    " surplus capacity and nowhere to go with it " again you do sound like you have 1st hand knowledge , one of the most common ways to use excess power , dump in a water heater , or other similar needs that maybe secondary energy usage .
    ROI everybody has different installment issues and that is no longer the average , it is shrinking to 5-7 yrs. , one of the big reasons is solar panels are no longer $14 per watt , I can find retail at under $1 per watt any day .
    There is so phony much negative press out there , I will generally not engage in argumentative discussions , but many times just can't hold back when I see so much misinformation .
    I would say for the lack of good electronics in solar / wind systems , leave it to regular consumer steering where things go , if hams would get into it and then complain , the market would solve the RFI issues , some have .
    I am keeping an eye out for inverter charges that are a quite as possible , one of my issues is I'm looking for larger type used in home use with inverter charger , transfer switch , many of the things that I consider mid to high end , starting at 2-3 thousand watts min. and then stacking , if not starting 4-6 thousand watts , with 120 vac & 240 vac , with true sine-wave , not some type of modified or square .
    I have found that some motor types , even relatively same do not start on cheap inverters , it has nothing to do with starting power , but wether or not its sine-wave .

8. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

http://gpelectric.com/products/pure-sine-wave-inverters
    These are excellent.

I assumed you were installing residential systems, the RV is like my solar powered shack with batteries. Its fine for something like that, just not viable. If liquid battery(not wet cell) technologies advance or something that would allow much better storage of energy, solar is not going to be viable for a residential home.

The only viable solution I have found is based upon an assumption that my frogs are satisfied with daytime oxygenated pond water in their small habitat pond. My lack of amphibian biology might be leading me to a false assumption if they would in fact require 24 hours of aeration.
    I use a large 100 watt Mono Crystal panel wired to a DC-DC converter then directly to the 12V pump that is used in live wells of bass boats. With this set up the pump runs when the sun is just below the tree line and even runs on very cloudy and snowy days. The DC converter drops out when the input goes below 9 or so volts to prevent the DC pump motor from over heating. So far the pump motor has actually lasted 3 years of daily year round use. The key point is the device operates daily without intervention, can you do that in residential, maybe, but the cost of the system would more than likely exceed the cost of the actual home.

9. AD0MI

Wired direct to a battery, sure it will pull the voltage down. But the controller separates the panels from the batteries. I have two of these systems personally. Here is a photo of my Rogue Technologies MPPT controller up at my cabin. It has 4 80 watt panels connected, wired series parallel. The string voltage is 37 volts in direct sunlight on a 90+ degree day. As you can see, it's providing 13.7 volts to the battery in float mode. I've seen over 40 volts per string on a cold winter day, which is 20 or so volts per panel. The controller can take 60 VDC input so it's no big deal. No bone to pick with the rest of this thread, just stating my experience with these 12 volt solar systems.

Attached Files:

10. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

12 volt panels actually run around 18-20 volts(mine have hit 22 on cold days).

11. W0AAT

Panels are not direct conencted to the battery, they are connected to an MPPT (Maximum power point tracking http://www.leonics.com/support/article2_14j/articles2_14j_en.php) charge controller that keeps them at optimum output instead of dragging then to a lower voltage and power output.

12. W0AAT

An optimum grid tie system is sized to feed your houses max demands, when that demand drops your neighbors use the difference and your meter spins in reverse. The power company has no way to tell your inverter to not sell back unless they cut power, then it drops offline to prevent grid feedback.

13. W0AAT

Nahhh cost of solar panels are now under 75 cents a watt, a good grid tie inverter in the 3kw range is only $2k. If you choose a no battery install your entire system is under $$5-6k. Dunno what your electric bill runs but a low guess for many is $100 a month or more.So $1200 year. That makes a 5 year payback at most!

14. N6KIA

N6KIA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I wish you a speedy solution to your troubles, but if the FCC acts as quickly to your situation as they do to all the jammers and NON licensed folks tearing up they airways even after they have received letters of violation or have had fines imposed on them it could be several years as usual.....good luck.

N3AB likes this.
  15. N4QMS

N4QMS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll guess that "Optimizer" is marketing-speak for a perfectly-mundane part of most solar arrays. Called a "Maximum Power Point Tracker", or MPPT. It compensates for the impedance change of the PV array as the illumination level changes. A PWM circuit determines the optimum load current to maximize output voltage, and best power transfer. Not so different from an antenna tuner, but for DC.

PWM circuits are most efficient when the rise and fall times of the square-wave switching waveform are fastest. This produces an RF Soup of harmonics and must be suppressed at the source with shielding and filtering like any other source of square-wave switching noise. The added cost is considered a nuisance by the outfits who sell this stuff.

The PWM regulators used for LED lighting cause this problem in much the same way.

AD0MI likes this.