ad: elecraft

DX Questions answered by Dr. DX!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6QU, Mar 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Chip,

That's OK. You and I see the world in different ways.

You did not understand what I meant and you probably never will. Since we both have an equal standing here as hams, my world view is just as valid as any other.

I think what you are really upset about is the audacity of them using the term "Dr.".

As I wrote, if they are asked, that's a different kettle of fish. What is unfortunate is when no one is asked but they get told about it anyway. That's some times annoying to us mere morals. The inopportune language you just used in the above quote is a perfect example. I do not care too much for your opinions on anything either, but I won't curse at you to prove my point.

See what I mean?

No, I think not...

OH2FFY likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think we disagree on whether its ok to share and celebrate achievement, especially the achievement of others.

You may not have noticed but I go out of my way to shine the spotlight on others.

Maybe that has something to do with which Testament a person studies most...no sarcasm intended.

And no; I did not curse AT you, OM. I cursed with respect to myself.

73 and best DX,
    Chip W1YW

K8PG likes this.
  3. WG7X

That's good. Introspection is good for the soul.

Just in case you were wondering what set me off, it was this:

Was that really necessary? If I was a betting man, I would guess that those fellows already know you and they were tweaking your nose on purpose.

Maybe?

Just a point to consider.

Well I'm done here, good night OM, and let the DX bug bite!

73 Gary

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

...and the result of that was I called them out on it. And they set a horrible example for newbies. Sometimes some of (us)old guys have nuthin' better to do, it would seem.

I 'm sure you agree--present company excluded..

Chip W1YW

5. NO20CALLSIG

NO20CALLSIG Guest

don`t really need that !

6. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have two HOBBIES in my retirement. My favorite, and one that I've embraced and done exceptionally well at since 1973, has rarely, if ever, generated the incredible quantity of public discord between others that amateur radio has. Whether it's on-the-air or in some post on QRZ or elsewhere, the never ending squaring off between a select few hijacking a post...or a frequency...is indeed representative of society today. Unfortunately, it's ALSO representative of the inflated egotistical and rapid fire rebuttals of " oneupmanship" presenting to the masses their disdain for another. WE, by and large, couldn't give one flying flip about their level of education or status in life, BUT, it's this very same online of on-the-air "chest beating" that too frequently has us powering down the shack or rarely returning to QRZ.com. THANK YOU, you "select few," for again making my point an elementary one to support.

In the end, get over your collective selves children. Far and beyond,I'd bet good money that the masses are sick and tired of of it.

I AM...

"Dr. MX"

(That's "motocross" but, you beady-eyed, sloping forehead college boyz who have SO delightfully embedded themselves in yet another qrz.post likely already knew that)

<smh...and powering down>

AB8MA, K2DFC and WG7X like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it was vital to point that out to them Gary. Not because I particularly need to state it, but because the tone of the rude response was supercilious. I needed to let them know who they were talkin' to.

MANY Ph.D.'s (in particular) get T'd when folks take on the bogus 'Dr. X' moniker. That's because getting that ticket required and resulted in sacrifice in earned income, and family planning and matters. Such non-Dr. frauds did not pay the price, yet claim the benefit.

In my Ph.D. field (radio astronomy) decimation has set in, with a trail of divorces, terminated jobs, and early deaths. Its not pretty. It is disrespectful to see their sacrifice and yet also see hams play with the 'Dr' moniker.

We see the bogus title of 'Dr.' badged to indicate expertise, without evidence of slaving through the effort to get the degree.

This all started in ham radio with 'Dr. SETI' several years ago. But Paul Shuch has every right to use that moniker, playfully, because he is a Ph.D.

There is no 'Dr. Is In' at the ARRL. That's bogus too.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    K8PG likes this.
  8. WG7X

Tempest, meet teapot.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No Gary; they are two wooden barrels.

Let's use their titles properly. And stick to reality.

;-)

10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Its supposed to be a podcast taken seriously, but the ARRL title creates for me an eye-rolling image of the Ducks Breath Theater comedy skit "Ask Dr. Science".

To wit, the recurring punch lines, "He knows more then you do!" followed by a satire of gobbledygook, concluding with the disclaimer, "He's not really a doctor" (haughty response) "I have a masters degree ...!"

That may be OK for light-hearted drive-time NPR, but its misplaced in the League context.

73 John WØPV

W1YW likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

12. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This went into the ditch pretty quick.

I'm no DX guru, but here's my $0.02:

For Technicians the DX answer is different than for General and above. For Techs I'd say learn CW and get on 15 meters, or get on the phone portion of 10 meters and CQ until someone hears you. Alternatively, they could get on 6M and 2M simplex in the Tech phone bands. Digital modes are also lucrative for DX hunting with low power in the Tech bands. Or visit your local Elmer and ask if he'll let you operate phone at his station.

For everyone else...get on 20 in the morning and have at it or work a DX contest...but if you work the contest, do your DX stations a favor and log and upload your QSOs using N1MM+ or any other logging program of your choice that exports to a Cabrillo format.

Here's your contest calendar connection: http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/

W1YW likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The best way to see what DX is on is the DX Cluster. The best DX cluster listing is:

www.dxsummit.fi

Chip W1YW

WA2LXB likes this.
  14. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now we're talking! Thanks Chip, and here's another that I'm sure we've all used: http://dxwatch.com/

Here's what I do: as soon as I make a DX contact I log it into QRZ, then immediately upload it to ARRL's LOTW thru QRZ. DX Watch then grabs it a few minutes later from LOTW and BAM!...there it is for others to work.

I don't do that for contesting, but for dial-spinning DX fun that's what I'm doing currently.

Every day is a new day with amateur radio!

Hugh

WR2E and W1YW like this.
  15. ZL1PDT

ZL1PDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi guys you got some of those POWERLESS radio were do you find them
    good luck,
    ZL1PDT