ad: elecraft

FCC issues a Notice of Violation to Solar City for RFI Inteferance

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NS6Q, Mar 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fortunately, my system has been noise free, I had that written into the agreement, but I'm only saving about $500 a year, my system is fairly small.

2. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool piece.

Did you try the GoPower inverters, I bought about every brand that was on Amazon and the GoPower were the only ones that were useable. Then I was chasing my tail for a while because the POE going to the 5 ghz link to the gateway was causing significant RFI that I cannot do anything about. Purchased a Timewave ANC4 and it knocked out all of the RFI from the ethernet and the low level hash from the charge controller.

3. KD8RWR

KD8RWR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone (like me) doing any HF /Mobile, Knows the Cheap China made Lighting Fixture's, in any
    Convenient Store (Circle K, 7-11, etc..etc...) . That just Driving-by one... is an S7-8. Pull in the Lot,..
    it's 20+ Over!!
    Just an observation, in Ohio. Of Course... (your results, may vary...)!

73 -Thom KD8RWR

4. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

That optimizer is not snake oil, it tracks the point at which the panels keep production at maximum and holds it there. MPPT is used in charge controllers at the batteries but I can see it working fine at the panels without trying to compensate fr voltage drop in wiring. It is a microprocessor controlled DC/DC converter that tracks the panels maximum power point. My 2 charge controllers do the same inside the house at the battery bank.

AL4Y likes this.
  5. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Just what we need more QRN to go along with all the QRM ! Cheap lighting Plasma TVs Solar controlers Cheap Modems Cheap Routers & all made in china isn't it just wounderful !!! Oh I forgot the Chinese broadcast jammers in the 40 meter band ! & now I am hearing radar up in the Satellite 70 cm band ! Well I guess the Chinese will cash in on filters for all of this next ! Hi Hi 73' KI6PMD ..

KB1NCP and K3RW like this.
  6. AB3EH

AB3EH Ham Member QRZ Page

I am curious, has anyone tried using QRM killers like ANC-4 by Timewave or a similar MFJH-1026 by MFJ Enterprises? I know complaining to FCC is essential but these devices can reduce interfering noise significantly while waiting for FCC action to get done. I have one such device and it helped me to get on air when I lived in a rental community near Princeton NJ for a few months in 2008. I surveyed the community extensively and understood that noise emanated from many sources and was not easy to catch. Someone suggested ANC-4 and it succeeded in reducing the noise from S-9 level to almost S-1. I moved out from that community soon.

AB3EH

7. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine works perfect, just have to set it correctly.

8. AB3EH

AB3EH Ham Member QRZ Page

Good to hear and thanks for the reply. I live in a quiet neighborhood where I do not run into much local electrical noise. My ANC-4 remains connected ready to jump in when needed.

Thanks again
    AB3EH

9. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps some day a Fractal Encabulator. Might be dangerous, like crossing plazma streams; total protonic reversal ...

:D

W7JZE, K3RW and K6CLS like this.
  10. KJ4PF

KJ4PF Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Question! Look at my QRZ Bio. I documented a Plasma TV RFI problem I had a couple of years back. I actually had a FCC field monitoring vehicle on site. Girl was given a notice of violation...and nothing came of it. (PC circumstances.) Read if interested. I wish you better LUCK than I had with the PC group in D.C.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Have to make'em out of unobtainium first!

12. SWL37632

SWL37632 QRZ Member

NS6Q. Was the RFI eliminated? If so, What did Solar City do to eliminate the RFI??

13. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I better keep my mouth shut on this one since I don't understand the physics of the PV panels I have. Mine did not like the series connection, why, at this point don't have a clue. The optimizer is shown in a series connection so without having one here its hard to even speculate what is happening.

14. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

...which won't work either. :)

15. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

FINALLY!!!!