ad: Sussex-1

Chameleon Antenna Deployment Configurations

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Mar 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

With the Chameleon Hybrid-Mini (Cha Hybrid-Mini) or Micro (Cha Hybrid-Micro) there is no shortage of ways to deploy these antennas! In this video, I will show you some of the most common ways to deploy a Chameleon Antenna. This can prove extremely useful when operating portable, SOTA or if you happen to live in a restrictive HOA.

Snip20170310_7.png

IX1FIT and KD8WBZ like this.
  2. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is a good set up for 160 Meters the only band I do not have?

KD8WBZ likes this.
  3. KF5GTX

KF5GTX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a homebrew 30' vertical with 10' cap hat and 120 ground radials run each to the edge of the property...

W5TTW, KM5LF, K9PLG and 2 others like this.
  4. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Bob, does that give you 160 Meters?

KD8WBZ likes this.
  5. KD8WBZ

KD8WBZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Bob just wondering I have the Mini with both mil whip extension and the cap hat and the tripod. I saw you where able to connect the mini to the tripod directly as a vertical and not by the jaw mount. I was wondering where you found a adapter to screw the Cha Mini into the tri pod

Thanks for the video and 73s Darin. KD8WBZ

WJ6F likes this.
  6. K4BJS

K4BJS Ham Member QRZ Page

You might be referring to the coupling nut, Mcmaster-Carr #90264A470 or try Home Depot, 3/8"-24 coupling nut. This would adapt a 3/8" male-to-3/8" male. But, remember it has to be the 3/8"-24 thread, not the more common 3/8"-16.

Also, if you are trying to mount it on a standard camera tripod. Bob's CB Shop sells a 1/4-20 x 3/8-24 adapter: (TGT-ULTRA-HEX-STUD) - "Ultra" Small Hex Factory Replacement Stud, 3/8" x 24 to 1/4" x 20 Thread. This would mount a Hybrid-mini or Hybrid-micro to a tripod 1/4-20 male

N4GST, KD8WBZ and WJ6F like this.
  7. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Wish I could do that, but I live in a condo and my yard is more commonly known as a patio.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    N4GST and KD8WBZ like this.
  8. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to use Alpha Antenna products and it came with one of the kits I had. I am not sure if you can buy them separately or not. It is actually a 2 piece item. I will take a photo of it and send it to you if you like.

How do you like the cap hat? I have debated on getting one.

Thanks for the information!

9. KD8WBZ

The cap hat does ok especially on 20 meters to 80 meters. I work a lot of digital modes like PSK and JT65/JT9 and found it helpful. 160M is a different story in that the antenna set up is to short and the signal doesn't go to far. I have not had a chance to try the sloping or inverted L for 160M for the nearest trees are 150 ft away and I live in a town houses

WJ6F likes this.
  10. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I live in a condo, and though the trees here are very close as of last Wednesday they are also very short. I try to get the antenna as up high as my place will allow, but I am also dealing with stucco. I have some other videos that show where I mount my antenna to.

KD8WBZ likes this.
  11. KD8WBZ

The cap hat does ok especially on 20 meters to 80 meters. I work a lot of digital modes like PSK and JT65/JT9 and found it helpful. 160M is a different story in that the antenna set up is to short and the signal doesn't go to far. I have not had a chance to try the slope

12. KD8WBZ

Thank you for the information and help
    Darin. KD8WBZ

13. KD8WBZ

When I used my aantenna analyzer it put a 4:1 SWR on 160M but when I compared it to the manuals specs. It was where it should be fo a vertical configuration. The manual specs shows between 2.5:1 to 3:1 swr using the 60ft wire as a sloper or a inverted V but haven't had a chance to try it and analyze it. My tuner will tune the match on 160M as a vertical but since it's a short length I get out about 400 miles at best. And receiving is a little noisy to

WJ6F likes this.
  14. KZ3H

KZ3H Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used this system and the Micro version with my stations; working North America, Caribbean, Central/South Americas and MARS on all bands. I do use a counterpoise and a coupler at the base, the Micro I use with my FT-817ND which travels well and is easy to operate in hotels. I am in a condo so I string the antenna in a sloper configuration about 25 feet up to the trees.

de KZ3H

WJ6F likes this.
  15. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not yet tried mine on 160M. I think I will when I am next in the high desert so as to have a low noise floor.