ad: elecraft

The Ham Nation Pine Board Project

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9EID/SK2024, Mar 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K9EID/SK2024

K9EID/SK2024 QRZ Lifetime Member #477 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

On Ham Nation, we have started a terrific new CONTINUING series called, "The Pine Board Project". We will be building a vacuum tube AM transmitter. Power supply, microphone pre amp, transmitter and tuner each built on 5 x 5 inch pine board.

JOIN US EACH WEDNESDAY ON HAM NATION 8 PM CST .

Warm up your soldering irons!

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 8.35.27 AM.png

N0BML, IX1FIT and K9PLG like this.
  2. VE3LYX

VE3LYX Ham Member QRZ Page

Now we are talkin! I'm ready. Already have one and several CW only too. Real radios glow in the dark and are made from trees. Hopefully a carbon mic too. (Ok probably a Heil) Sorry. I got carried away in the excitment.
    donVe3LYX

W0ERE and K9PLG like this.
  3. KB1UYS

KB1UYS Ham Member QRZ Page

>JOIN US EACH WEDNESDAY ON HAM NATION 8 PM CST .

Specific media links would be appreciated in a general announcement such as this. Am I to go to twit.tv/shows/ham-nation and find a link or is it on a Youtube live broadcast, etc.

4. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Bob, throw a 'click me' link in there to help us blind old buzzards find our way!

5. K7MD

K7MD Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wunnerful. I wo

7. K7MD

K7MD Ham Member QRZ Page

@KL7AJ Post a picture of your balsa board radio! Schematic too if you want!

K8MCQ likes this.
  8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll get some to you this weekend. Presently swamped. HI

9. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I love Bob and what he has done for ham radio. I also love this project. However, Bob is going to get someone hurt with this project. Dangerously high voltages out in the open are an accident waiting to happen for the unexperienced builder of tube gear. I just hope he spends enough time disclosing and disclaiming the risks. We dont need anymore SK's !

10. VE3LYX

We are HAMs not CBers. We are supposed to understand electricity. Just like our XYLs know don't touch the burner on the electric stove. And it does not have to have exposed wiring anyway. That is why God invented insulation.
    My 1943 breadboard station you would have to hunt for a place to get a zapp. I am waiting because I want to see the preamp and modulator circuit to see if I can work it into my 6l6EH breadboard rig.
    donVE3LYX
    I also want to see this balsa wood set from KL7AJ. We need a wooden tube radio photo page!

N5OFW, K7JBL, N0BML and 4 others like this.
  11. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

12. K9PLG

K9PLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking forward to following along with this series !! Built one of these when I was a Novice about 1970 (CW tx), but a capacitor 'popped' when I powered it up due to a wiring error on my part hihi... scared me to death so I abandoned the project. Should have took it to an elmer as I had some good ones back then but I was too embarrassed.. Love HamNation and have watched almost every one live since episode #1, which I was very lucky to catch just before getting re-licensed after 40+ years away from the hobby :)
    73 de K9PLG

13. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well if something does go wrong & it catches on fire it will smell good ! Hi Hi KI6PMD ..

14. VE3LYX

Sniff sniff;>) I got all fired up and put the 1943 breadboard rig on the air again with its matching regen and wooden CW key. I currently have the NA KT88 equivalent (6550? ) in place of the 6L6 and built a PSU (yes on wood) to handle it. It is fun watching the big tube haze purple when keying. I am sure those who follow the build here will find the same joy. I wont mention my coax but we have a lamp that no longer works (75 ohm)
    Watch last night. Good stuff.
    donVe3LYX

K7MD likes this.
  15. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

So when was the last time we had a ham SK due to getting a shock from a breadboard tube project? Or any tube project? Or any piece of commercial tube gear?

Why are you so scared of electrocution on behalf of others? Any number of us worked on high-voltage stuff as young teens and survived. I'm much older now and still work on it. And I still get a surprise once in a while. Big deal.

Don't buy into this "nanny state" mentality where only experts are thought to be qualified to work around electricity, chemicals, machinery, etc. One can only become an expert by actually participating.

Mommy says, "Don't hammer in that nail - You'll hurt yourself!" Daddy says, "Here, use this hammer, hold the nail like this, and hit it. Wow. Yeah, that will hurt for a while, but you'll know better next time."

KL4BT and AK5B like this.