ad: ProAudio-1

Yaesu FT 891 Install And First Contact

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Feb 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. BH1UDS

BH1UDS Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks
    73 DE bh1uds

WJ6F likes this.
  2. WW5RM

WW5RM Guest

What is the lever under the VFO? A lock or tensioner?

W4KSL and WJ6F like this.
  3. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it is for tension.

4. KM6IIN

KM6IIN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this is going be my first HF radio, living in an apartment is brutal and I don't think getting a 7300 would be worth it at this time for me. 891 it is.

WJ6F likes this.
  5. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

The size of the FT-891 sure does help when living in apartments, townhomes or condos.

6. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Got mine last weekend too - tweaking parameters for time being and a bit of learning as well
    Will be my mobile and for SOTA activation when 10W from KX2 will not be sufficient.

73 Thomas de F4HPX

WJ6F likes this.
  7. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no shortage of menu options, but the majority are the "set it and forget it" type.

8. F4HPX

Sure but compared to FT-897D or FT-817ND is quite different and there is lot of welcomed functionalities like a voice keyer - I feel I will like it :)
    Shall try it on the air tonight.

Thomas

WJ6F likes this.
  9. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully you can make some good contacts!

10. F4HPX

Indeed it worked of course - just need to learn how to efficiently mitigate band noise

SDR transceivers I am used to are doing good job in this area

WJ6F likes this.
  11. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you own the IC-7300?

1 person likes this.
  12. N5NUK

N5NUK Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video, Craig!! I want one of the 891's myself, and plan to go mobile/portable with it. Not having VHF/UHF is not an issue for me since I have an 8800 for those bands. Thanks again for the demo vid!! And THANK YOU!! for your service and sacrifice to our country! 73 de N5NUK.

WJ6F likes this.
  13. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for taking the time to watch and for the comment! Hopefully you will be able to pick up an FT-891 in the very near future!

14. F4HPX

No. I have Flex-6300 and KX2, but I was targeting IC-7300 initially.
    Just Icom was not fast enough for me to bring it to the market when I was ready to buy it (end of 2015).
    Thus other choice made. But I like IC-7300 very much too.

WJ6F likes this.
  15. KC2HOC

KC2HOC Ham Member QRZ Page

I just purchased a ft-891 I've been trying to get an LDG tuner to work it is (YT-100) I can seem to get to work. I'm using the CAT cable and the optional cable with the red end into the radio. The tuner just blinks. I was told by HRO that this tuner is compatible but I don't see any information about making it work with the FT-891. Anyone running an LDG tuner with this radio?