ad: MLSons-1

HamRadioNow: That ARRL Entry Level License Survey

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Mar 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Jim,

The Tech license has failed as a tool to form a 'pool of skilled operators ...to enhance the radio art'. Most Techs--almost all Techs-- are either not on the air, or perceive their HT's as prepper or (occasional) amateur public service tools, and stand-alone devices. There is virtually no experimentation, percentage wise for example, within the Tech pool. IOW the Tech license is targeted for an interesting--and many would argue important--cadre of people who want to use radios in a very specific and very limited way.

Opening up another (entry) license class is likely to be a catch all for those who have an interest but do not fall within the cadre of people who are Techs.

We need both.

Chip W1YW

KB0FKT likes this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you assume that it is the license class that has failed? Maybe people just don't care anymore? I see that at work constantly -- and that's among the highly-skilled folks who write software or build circuits.

I just don't see why the license is seen as a tool to improve anything... either in the past or in the future. People care or they don't.

If we introduce a 21st-century driver's license, is that going to cause people to stop posting on Facebook or Twitter while they drive??

AB4D likes this.
  3. AB4D

AB4D QRZ Lifetime Member #415 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hi Chip,

I suppose, we will just have to agree to disagree. I just don't see your point, how a no test license will increase the pool of skilled operators and/or electronics experts, that will remain ACTIVE within the amateur radio service. Simply, I don't see the correlation between a no test vs. tested license, and how that will make a significant difference into recruiting young people AND keeping them active. It may provide an easier path for those who may have an initial interest, but keeping them active, will certainly always be a challenge.

73, Jim AB4D

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I make no assumption. I presented the facts. IMO the Tech has become something not in line with the original intention, and as --the (only)-- entry level, ends up with an interesting but specific cadre of radio amateurs. It tends to exclude those with curiosity and exploration and experimentation.

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim,

No one said anything about a 'no test license'. Where did you get that?

I certainly didnt say it. I don't even know what that means.

6. KK5JY

How is that a fact? IMO means "in my opinion," which is completely different from a fact?
    How so? It gives full privileges on the bands that are coveted my nearly all public service and government agencies for communications.

AD5KO likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The pool becomes self-limiting and self restricting. A newbie seeing HT oriented -only and wanting something else will not become a Tech. You know this.

Please don't ask the obvious and expect me to waste my time here.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You know what is wrong. The communication is with people, and people gravitate to others with their interests. VHF has become synonymous with Tech and the people, for the most part, who become Techs are preppers and amateur public service.

When was the last time you heard more than 10 Techs on 2M at a time? Even in the VHF contests it is dominated by higher license classes, despite the fact that they are far smaller in their (total licensed)numbers than Techs. Techs are VHF AND mostly INACTIVE.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  9. KK5JY

No, they become a General. Or an Extra.

You can get offended all you want, but I asked a simple question about the assertions you made, and I was rather polite about it, too, I might add. If you don't want your ideas to have to endure scrutiny, perhaps a public forum isn't the place for you to express them. The fact that my questions anger you should be a tip to you that perhaps your ideas aren't as fact-based as you think they are.

Negative. I don't think anything is wrong with amateur radio per se. It appears to be going through a natural progression from exotic art form to a niche hobby of dedicated enthusiasts. There's nothing wrong with that.

If that's true, why aren't you looking at VHF+ and EMCOMM as the actual problems, rather than assuming that the entry license is broken?

What difference does it make? Back when the bands were saturated with Techs, the cell-phone and Internet thing hadn't taken off yet. People who just wanted to communicate followed those technologies to other things. As you pointed out, the people active on all bands are the folks who really want to operate, and they spent the extra hour of test time it took to get an HF license. If there is a problem in licensing, General and Extra would appear to be the solution. FCC thinks so, as well.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not offended at all. I just have no interest in a rag chew on QRZed.

WF9Q and AD5KO like this.
  11. KK5JY

And yet, you are very active on this "band." ;)

All I'm asking is that people think about the actual problem before they push changes on the service. Inactivity isn't the problem. Disinterest might be a problem, but I still haven't seen anybody try to study the disinterest to see if it is a problem, and if so, how much. ARRL's poll is meaningless on that subject, because it is directed at people who are interested enough in the hobby to visit their website (or sites like this that link to them).

Without getting to the bottom of the issue(s), any effort to adjust the licensing structure is just faith-based rule-making.

12. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

You could just answer the questions and stop being so arrogant and rude to people who ask direct questions.

And why the big push for a simpler license, so many threads on this subject all trying to get approval for this stupid idea. People say they don't like it, they say why and then suddenly a new thread pops up with a different title on the same subject.

Just what kind of morons do you want on ham radio? The very people we try to avoid. 10-4 good buddy, thanks so much for trying so hard to lower the standard to the illiterate level of CB radio.

Thanks for representing the ARRL.. as humble as ever I see.

Thankfully I'm no longer a member.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You like that word...'arrogant'. Why don't you go look up the definition and quote it here, and then factually demonstrate how it applies.

I, for example, could call you an '*', but that would hardly add to the conversation, and, as it is a limited percentage of your reality, not be factually accurate. At least for normal physiology.

14. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

A perfect example.

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Of what? Truly: Assume I need to be enlightened. Dig out the online dictionary, clip here and show supporting evidence.You have made it key, it seems, to the credibility of the entry level license idea.

If you believe that as falls the messenger then so falls the idea...well! Take your best shot! I am always amused by efforts to diss ideas based on pot shots at those stating them. In 62 years I have yet to see a credible case.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017