ad: MyersEng-1

Yaesu Announces FT-25R and FT-65R Handheld Transceivers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Feb 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, Patrick WD9EWK explained it to me, and I apologize for the error on my part.

I think the FCC should list it correctly.. obviously it's not a scanner, it's a transceiver.

2. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

not a problem. Sorry if Patrick already covered it, I scanned the last few pages I missed but obviously missed that.

AD5KO likes this.
  3. KC2QQR

KC2QQR Ham Member QRZ Page

4. AD5KO

Yes that has been established. But I said in a previous post that the FCC should list it correctly.

COPY [
    FCC PART 15B / RSS
    ANALOGUE SCANNING
    RECEIVER
    COMBO TEST REPORT
    Applicant
    YAESU MUSEN CO., LTD.
    Address
    TENNOZU PARKSIDE BUILDING
    2-5-8 HIGASHI
    -SHINAGAWA,
    SHINAGAWA
    -KU, TOKYO
    JAPAN
    FCC ID:
    K6620515X20
    IC
    511B
    -20515X20
    Model Number
    FT-70DR
    Product Description
    HH AMATEUR SCANNING RECEIVER

Date Sample
    Received
    11/16/2016
    Final Test Date
    11/29/2016
    Tested By
    Tim Royer
    Approved By
    Cory Leverett
    Test Results
    PASS
    FAIL
    Number
    Version
    Number
    Description
    Issue Date
    2305AUT16TestReport
    Rev1
    Initial Issue
    12/02/2016
    THE ATTACHED REPORT SHALL NOT BE REPRODUCED EXCEPT IN FULL
    WITHOUT THE WRITTEN
    APPROVAL OF TIMCO ENGINEERING, INC

/COPY

5. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

seems to me for over the past 50 years, company will produce a product that is the greatest thing since the electric light bulb and then they go and change it, have it made cheap,not user friendly, turn it into a peace of junk, add a high price to it and make worst than a MFJ product and it pisses everyone off! NOW WHY DO THAT???WHY MAKE EVERYTHING SO CRAPPY? MAKE THE PRODUCTS RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

AD5KO likes this.
  6. W3ALG

W3ALG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With all these opinions, does any one really listen to these frustrated opinions from those at the company and take the valid "good" information from all the responses and do something with it or is it just a thread to vent frustration with the products being introduced. I would hope Yaesu would listen to its customers.

AD5KO likes this.
  7. W6BKS

W6BKS Ham Member QRZ Page

IT WILL NOT DO ODD SPLIT REPEATERS

8. AD5KO

Are you sure? I mean really??

9. W8GRI

W8GRI Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems a bit Baofengish to me.... I have one of those.

My FT50 works quite well as of yet!

73 Rod KB8DNS

AD5KO likes this.
  10. KR6AUL

KR6AUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, I did not see it mentioned here but some of the previous Yaesu accessories will not work with it. They went back to the dual prong mic/speaker but they are closer together than previous Yaesu models. Antenna is reverse SMA...among a couple I found out. I am sure there might be more.

AD5KO likes this.
  11. K6NIK

K6NIK Ham Member QRZ Page

After I saw the info on the FT25/65 discussed here, I ended up buying another Ft-60R just in case. I love that radio and have two of them, I hope Yaesu is not thinking about discontinuing it...

AD5KO likes this.
  12. K6NIK

K6NIK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have that exact set up including the Smiley 270! In fact I decided to go that route after reading your review on the Smiley on Eham and couldn't be happier. The repeaters I hang out on where I used to need "High" is now full quiet on the .5w low setting.

13. K7XRL

K7XRL Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this night vision "issue" will only affect maybe a fraction of a percentage of amateurs who use their radios for search and rescue, and the chances of them choosing an entry level radio like this for that kind of use is remote anyway. Still, it's nothing a little adhesive backed red plastic film stuck on the display couldn't fix in the time it takes you to cut it out and stick it on. If you really want to get fancy, get a red photographic gel filter and slip it between the LCD and the window in the case.

I know, you shouldn't "have to". Well you don't have to, unless your super secret spy team HALO insertion mission into enemy territory at 02:00 requires you to use one of these radios instead of whatever the military issues. I have a flashlight for when I want to see in the dark outside, and a lamp for in the house.

Since the overwhelming majority of my radio use is in places and at times where there is ambient illumination, a display that is readable in bright light is more important than one that preserves night vision, and if we are pragmatic about it, this would serve most amateurs as well.

KE7ACY, AG5DB and AD5KO like this.
  14. KE7ACY

KE7ACY Ham Member QRZ Page

They're ALL made in China now and have been for at least a decade!

15. W5DAJ

W5DAJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I got the FT-25 yesterday for $90. I thought it was going to be a nice simple radio. It is anything but simple as far as programming repeaters goes. It is solid. It looks good. It seems well built. It is compact. I like everything else about it but will have to get a cable and software to load repeaters. I may have to order an FT-60 to go with it. I know it has all the right buttons and menus on the front panel to be programmable.