ad: Flexradio-1

Yaesu Announces FT-25R and FT-65R Handheld Transceivers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Feb 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK6FR

KK6FR Ham Member QRZ Page

Just what we need, another set of 2M FM radios Really? How about something like a 2M SSB with C4FM HT. Or better yet a nice LDMOS (X2 or 4) Amplifier, How old is the Quarda System? It's an old boat anchor. Come on Yaesu come up with something new...

AD5KO and KA0HCP like this.
  2. KE0IMD

KE0IMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear you there (no pun intended). I'm still working on my upgrade to General and Extra, so FM has lost its appeal. SSB is neat and I thoroughly enjoy it, even with the limited use. I'm of the belief that if more practical 2M SSB radios existed (practical, as in Baofeng and intro model Yaesu HT's), we'd see more activity there. Bottom line, I'll always be a Yaesu fan... but I don't have to like it.

Sorry for the digression. I'm sure this HT will be fine.

3. KD6IOW

KD6IOW Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings again,
    Well, I don't get it certainly.
    The point is there are many radios offered and each have a specific function that the end user can utilize. For example: the ft2 is a great radio because it is touch screen, bright display, takes pictures see picture, has dual digital, single hand volume control. Super easy to navigate wiresX mode and zip around using single finger pokes. In contrast, the ft1 has clean audio sound yet may be a little more of a hassle to scroll menus especially without glasses on.
    As far as longevity, these radios will serve their purpose and become extinct as the tech is changing fast now. All my die cast alum radios still work but are in a box because they lack functions and memory. The thing that will save ham radio today going forward is digital. SDR and interfacing should be part of every radio going forward or the hobby will die. The hobby will grow if the users are able to utilize their radios in the digital age. kd6iow

4. KD6IOW

KD6IOW Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point. Radios are getting better and better. Digital modes a must going forward...

AD5KO likes this.
  5. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

6. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

YAWN....

7. W8LM

W8LM Ham Member QRZ Page

Regarding specifications -
    RX Frequency Ranges: 65 - 108 MHz 136 - 174 MHz 400 - 480 MHz
    TX Frequency Ranges: 144 - 148 MHz 430 - 450 MHz
    Circuit Type: Direct-Conversion
    Modulation Type: F2D, F3E
    RF Power Output: 5 W/2.5 W/0.5 W
    AF Audio Output: 1 W (Max power)
    MADE IN CHINA???? Sounds like a 3 power level Baofeng to me.. No Aircraft Receive, A lot less receive coverage than the FT-60 at the same price.. 65-108 Mhz.. just like Baoefeng.
    YAESU FT65R $169. Baofeng UV82 $28 --- I'll take a six pack of UV82's for the same $169....

AD5KO likes this.
  8. KF7RNQ

KF7RNQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't get it. What is there about either of these radios that would make a ham enthusiastic about buying one?

AD5KO likes this.
  9. WB2JIX

WB2JIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why the goofy portables from Yaesu? They're copying the Alinco!
    But really..............
    They must see Baofeng is taking market share.
    When you see so many hams walking around with the UV5R's on their belts, you take notice.
    Yes, I realize that this is not a direct comparison however, they must get into the low end of the market, one way or another.
    Brian
    www.trueladderline.com

AD5KO likes this.
  10. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

How is this any different from the 70r in capabilities?

11. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

I imagine Yaesu and Kenwood are going to be in financial trouble sooner than later. None of their products are innovative, everything is reactionary (the 991A) being a prime example for Yaesu, the rig model ages for Kenwood being theirs (at least their new 600 dollar HT offers something)

12. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

There might be some doubt about this,

I read a study by the military some years ago saying that properly adjusted brightness of white light, has less impact on night vision because lower levels of brightness are needed for readability than for red or orange lighting. Actually some are moving to use dim green lighting now:

http://www.astromax.org/activities/members/kniffen.htm

If you are really concerned about night vision, just keep your levels of vitamin A up. Night vision recovery is helped immensely by this -- especially since most peoples' diets are pretty vitamin A deficient.

Cheers and 73,

Mark.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    AD5KO likes this.
  13. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, that's very interesting info. Very enjoyable. :)

14. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

15. N6JSX

N6JSX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeasu HT and no Fusion = NO BUY!

AD5KO likes this.