ad: elecraft

Yaesu Announces FT-25R and FT-65R Handheld Transceivers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Feb 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KG5EXW

KG5EXW Ham Member QRZ Page

There's nothing on the Yaesu site. Are you a Gigapart shill?

2. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

3. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

That's not even a transceiver it's a scanner, let alone a digital transceiver which is what N8JUC was talking about.

For example, the FT-1XDR is a very good $300.00 portable which among other things does Yaesu digital. N8JUC was talking about a $150.oo digital portable and hoping this new Yaesu portable was it. Well actually a $169.95 radio.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    NL7W likes this.
  4. KC6SOT

KC6SOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu is going down the toilet. Look at Fusion. OMG. Too many problems. I'll stick with DMR. It works.

KV4BL likes this.
  5. AD5KO

[​IMG]

The Alinco DJ-500 dual band portable. $99.99 from HRO and $99.00 at Gigaparts.

I have owned this radio and it's well made and sounds good.

So why the new goofy portables from Yaesu?

KV4BL likes this.
  6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately Yaesu has been blowing sunshine up amateurs behinds for years with similar statements.

Mil-810 is a testing procedure guideline, not a certification. Its up to the military procuring agency to set the passing standards. Yaesu does not tell us anything about what tests were actually performed, number of units tested, the results and what they consider 'passing". ;)

p.s. The current standard is Mil-810-G, issued in 2008. Yaesu is two revisions and 17 years behind in using outdated standard "E".

KV4BL likes this.
  7. AD5KO

This is an Alinco DJ-A10, it's a commercial portable I have used on the job. It performs very well and has great 1 watt audio, and the color of the display can be changed. Take a close look at it and compare it to the new Yaesu's. Look familiar? For sometime I have suspected that Yaesu has been sold to a Chinese company just like Alinco, but I hope I am wrong, although these new Alinco radios do perform very well. BTW, the flashlight is on the top and it does FM radio too, also notice the orange button...

[​IMG]

8. KG5EXW

KG5EXW Ham Member QRZ Page

9. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

If you go by the FCC certification, almost all amateur transceivers are certified as scanners, if they cover non-amateur spectrum above 30 MHz. The transmitters are not required to meet formal FCC certification, but do have to comply with the requirements listed in FCC Part 97. I remember seeing something on a web page that explained that the FT-70DR was going to be a dual-band HT with System Fusion. (and the D in the model number seems to be Yaesu's way to indicate "digital")

For example, go to:

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

Enter K66 as the grantee code, and 20515X20 as the product code. This is for the FT-70DR mentioned previously. Or use the same K66 grantee code, and 20665X20 as the product code for the FT-65R. Both have certification grants that only describe these radios as receivers.

73!

AD5KO likes this.
  10. KQ7D

KQ7D Ham Member QRZ Page

Honest question:

My simple Baofeng UV82HP is dual watch (two channels at once, either or both UHF/VHF). What other brand/model does this? Otherwise I love the FT-60.

AD5KO likes this.
  11. AD5KO

Ok, thanks Patrick... I am responding on my phone. 73.

12. AD5KO

I had a baofeng uv82. It was surprisingly good for $28.00 and not a bad design.

Ft-60 great little radio.

KQ7D likes this.
  13. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Many radios, actually.

Of the radios I have, two Wouxuns (KG-UV8D and KG-UV9D) and some Kenwoods (TH-D72A, TH-D74A, TH-F6A). It's actually a feature in a fair number of HTs, if they have two VFOs on the display. Granted, the Baofeng probably costs less than almost all of these, but this is something found in many other HTs and mobile radios.

73!

14. KQ7D

KQ7D Ham Member QRZ Page

$28 bucks? I hope my UV82-HP is somehow better because I paid something like $65! Regardless, it is pretty good for a Baofeng.

15. AD5KO

It was when they first came out and it was the 5watt version. :)

KQ7D likes this.