ad: elecraft

Icom 7300 WSJT-X Combined With HRD And JT-Alert

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0PIR, Jan 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

It took a while to get things right , but this software combo is an excellent choice. It makes operating and logging a breeze. Note: JTAlert 2.8.7 is the last version to support HRD V6 logging.

[​IMG]

In Part 1:
    03:03 Setting up Icom 7300 for receiving and transmitting JT65, JT9 and WSPR.
    Turning AGC Off! RF Power: 100%
    Setting FIL1 to 3.6K

05:25 Starts where we connect with HRD and HRDLogbook setup.
    Auto uploads to QRZ.com, eQSL and HRDLog.net

10:10 WSJT-X setup.
    Split operation and turning off LOCK TX=RX

Visit my website for the full article and part 2 of the video: http://www.k0pir.us/icom-7300-wsjt-x/

Attached Files:

CU7ABF, N3DAW, K4PDX and 3 others like this.
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for emphasizing that NR, NB and AGC should be OFF for digital modes. b. Excellent lessons, thanks.

K0PIR likes this.
  3. WB5THT

WB5THT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It was quite an adventure when I set up my TS-590S for HRD, not such a big deal for my K3s, it has a data mode which sets AGC to fast, etc.

Doesn't the 7300 have a data mode? How do you like the rig so far?

K0PIR likes this.
  4. K0PIR

Hi John,
    Yes, USB-D and it's a great radio for data modes. Very easy to setup and very easy to operate. I remember using my TS-570 for BPSK and I used my TS-530s for BPSK also. A different story there, but nonetheless fun!

5. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rich,
    Thank you for sharing the video. Very informative and I learned that my FIL1 filter was set at 1200. Now I'll have to reset the other filters as well since I like to use them for weak signals when the band is busy. The waterfall is more even with the wider filter and decoding JT65/JT9 is now possible across a much wider bandwidth. Very cool.

I've been running the 7300 with HRD, WSJT-X and JT for a couple months and HRD/JT65-HF prior to that. It seems to be working reliably for the most part but, that's not saying there isn't room for improvement. The initial set-up can be confusing and their wasn't much reliable IC-7300 digital mode set-up information available back in September when I got the rig. At least I wasn't finding it.

My rig settings differ from yours but, so does my configuration with a single USB cable for both USB and CIV data.

Other than your settings for separate USB/CIV, the settings that differ on my 7300 are:
    -USB AF Output Level at 10%
    -ACC MOD Level at 60%
    -USB MOD Level at 27%

Perhaps this depends to some extent on the PC audio level configuration as well so here are those settings.
    -Speakers (Codec) level at 90%
    -Microphone (Codec) at 48%

The audio level into the PC is obviously quiet strong in spite of the modest settings at both the rig and PC. I would welcome any thoughts and suggestions unless you feel that this is distracting from your topic. I'm happy to take this offline if you prefer.

Dave

K0PIR likes this.
  6. K0PIR

Hi Dave,

Yes, I've been using the Audio CODEC for some recording and just as you say, it depends on the PC too. I'm still playing around with it and haven't got it where I want it for that. I've had those settings all over the place. LOL, It's a work in progress.

Glad you found it useful. It's a lot of fun finding new ways to do things and I did get useful tips off of the WSJT-X Facebook group. Turning the AGC completely off and RF Gain down a little made a noticeable difference in decoding.

I couldn't get the wide-graph looking good and that's where the WSJT-X manual really helped out. So everything comes from a variety of sources.

Thanks Dave, I hope that answered it for you. You can always shoot me an e-mail or comment on my site. I'd be happy to hear from you.

7. W7AE

W7AE Guest

No problem loading or getting the 7300 to work. 21 days after new,
    you could not change bands. ICOM said they had two others with
    the same problem. Not a good way to start.
    Marv W7AE

8. K0PIR

Yes, that would be very disappointing. I haven't heard that before. I'm curious to see how the IC 7610 fares.

9. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rich,
    My rig still has AGC turned on due to strong signals (-1 dB to +10 dB) out of California and Arizona. For the most part they are probably not running excessive power as I often see my signal at -1dB in CA & AZ even at QRP power levels.

Turning down the gain helps a lot with decodes. Using a narrower filter and offsetting the frequency at the rig also helps decoding weak signals when other strong signals are present. For example on 30 meters there are often strong signals around a frequency offset of 2000. To improve receiver sensitivity you can tune the rig to 10.750 MHz and use the 1.2k filter. This shifts the strong signals to 2500 which is outside of the bandpass. Of course you need to remember the everything is shifted so an offset of 500 is now actually 0. The PBT filter with or without a frequency offset can be used in a similar fashion.

Maybe someone has some tricks but, I doubt if a wide waterfall display will ever look as good as a narrower waterfall due to the increased pixel binning. Once 4K displays are commonplace this won't be an issue any longer. I'm running three 27" monitors at 1920x1080 and the wide waterfall is Ok at this resolution but, it took some tweaking.

Dave

image.jpeg image.jpeg

K0PIR likes this.
  10. K0PIR

Hey Dave that looks great and at that resolution, it is impressive. It's nice to see what it can look like.

Others have mentioned narrowing the filter and I have done it a couple of times just to try. If there are strong adjacent signals it should be very helpful and another Ham told me it makes weak signals pop out too. I haven't tried tuning lower as you mentioned though and that sounds very interesting. I'll keep it in mind and try it.

Those operating techniques could be called "Advanced WSJT-X Operation", hi hi. I see a new video on the horizon :)

Thanks for sharing those snapshots and ideas.

Best 73 and see you on the bands!

11. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey
    Yes the spectrum looks great at that resolution and I have it similar on my 22 and 24 screens connected to base PC
    but I have a lot of issues when working portable using MS Surface Pro tablet under Windows 10.
    The screen resolution is even bigger but taking into account pretty small physical screen size they are usually applying font scaling.
    Unfortunately both WSJT-X and Alert-X have fonts that are not scaling well and I have a bit of trouble to see it as on home PC
    The spectrum are barely 3KHz or less wide and a bit ugly. So to tweak further if possible....

RF to 100% ?
    I am using Flex6300 instead which interfaces nicely with HRD and both WSJT-X and Alert-X
    Personally, knowing my antennas are very low and often shortened , thus not very efficient, my usual PWR settings are set for around 30W
    - controlled with LP100A power meter during transmission
    - controlled with reports obtained on pskreporter.info website
    As this is SSB signal so RF may be controlled by both RF power and audio level.

If I am too loud for closest stations am reducing power back to 10 or 15W and if I am to weak for DX stations I increase it to 40 or 50W max.
    but only temporarily if the QSO has a chances to get done.
    Propagation is sometimes very strange or simply you get the peaking signal on each earth reflection (quite logical).
    So it happens I am heard at closer distances -1 dB around 500-700 kms then -15dB or -22 dB further to be again at -1 dB level 10.000 kms away!
    General policy shall be to use lowest power required to make QSO done - at the end all these modes are for weak signals at origin.
    Sometimes OM forget to reduce power after working SSB thus this will saturate the spectrum, signals are multiplied and does not allow proper decoding for others.
    So I am controlling the feedback from others all the time via pskreporter.info which is BTW really great solution/idea for digital modes like reverse beacon network is for CW. Propagation testing is really helpful.
    If there is no favorable conditions it does not make sense to insist applying more power.

73 Thomas

12. VK6CR

VK6CR Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing that I don't see mentioned so far is ALC. Its very important that you should show a zero ALC reading on transmit. This is the generally the cause of those big technicolour smudging signals you see on the waterfall.

NL7W likes this.
  13. K0PIR

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the excellent comment. I have a Surface Pro and have not used it yet, but I will give it a shot.

Power at 100%, yes, but using the power level slider in WSJT-X power is reduced to 5 to 10 watts. ALC will be zero. The IC-7300 is an excellent rig for novices using digital modes. It's easy to setup and get going with a clean signal.

Thanks again and I will definately try the Surface.

Best 73!

14. K0PIR

Hi Ian,

Excellent observation! On previous videos I discuss ALC and even though mine is zero while operating, the IC 7300 manual, Pg. 4-31 say's "
    "When operating in the SSB data mode, adjust the device’s output level within the ALC zone." Honestly, I'm not sure how to take that. I have seen where other's say that tests have been done on the 7300 indicating there can be ALC deflection. Crazy huh? That being said, the way I have it setup the ALC reading is zero.
    See:

Thank you for commenting, best 73!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  15. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes try it but if you find the best settings please share - otherwise you might be disappointed.
    Unfortunately WSJT-X/Alert-X were probably developped using non MS technology that's why it's a bit weird on the screen - maybe it will be fixed in the future versions
    but I am using HRDLog V.6 and JTAlert-X has dropped this app from the last release.
    Not a big deal as I can use different logger when portable or abroad as anyway that will use different callsigns and HRDLog does not handle many callsigns in parallel too nicely (I had always some surprises).

I have to say IC-7300 was my dream rig from the day it has been announced in Tokyo but they spend too much time (for me) to bring it to the market and I went to FlexRadio instead attracted by existing SDR technology
    Do not regret as this is great SDR rig although not as portable as IC-7300 ... I am using it portable with Surface Pro and this is working very well at different kind of Field Day-like events.
    As the company name says the rig is ... FLEXible ;-) and actually firmware updates are coming frequently (only one since launch for IC-7300).
    Well I heard lot of OM using IC-7300 and they are sounding great on SSB. So I will not argue for one or another... the SDR technology is there and BIG THREE (well Icom for time being) will move into sooner or later
    (especially with announcement of IC-7610 and R-8600).

One of the advantages of these rigs is that usually they are facilitating greatly the use of digital modes: forget Signalink or audio cables - plug USB or Network cable and everything is ready to go on the Air in digital
    (ok yes there is a little learning curve how to configure stuff on software side but usually not too complicated).

Often when put in Digital Mode the software will automatically disable ALC, set AGC and flat settings for TX/RX Graphic Equalizer for best use on transceiver side.
    I like very much JT65/JT9 and use them frequently. Currently I am rather a DX Chaser than Contester and these modes are made for it !!!
    When you need often a good yagi with QRO power to make things done on SSB, low power and long wire may be enough to do it using JTxx.

OK let's be honest it's difficult to do ragchewing on JT65 and it takes time to complete a QSO... so not too "exciting" - but the fact to do so much with so little is extraordinary:
    - my first "VK" QSO was done using JTxx and quite mobile antenna on roof of my car from the top of the nearest hill...
    - my only "ZL" QSO was done the same way but from Home QTH using EFHW antenna (more than 19.000 kms)

73 Thomas

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    K0PIR likes this.