ad: Flexradio-1

Is there a Mac in your Shack? K6UDA Radio Episode 39

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6UDA, Jan 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K6UDA

K6UDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure this was the last new ham radio video posted on youtube in the waning moments of 2016. This time I'm looking at the Maclogger DX logging software and rig control for the Mac platform. Plus a 1 minute tour of my shack.
    EP 39 Mac in the shack.jpg

NN5O and AA5AZ like this.
  2. AA5AZ

AA5AZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

MLDX was my first log. I put my first repeater contacts in it, because I didn't know any better :) That 2011, but about a year later I started using HRD. Now, as of yesterday's announcement by HRD and the recent bro-ha-ha, I've come back to Mac for my Log and MLDX. I have version 5 and I'm curious to know why I should be going to 6.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't bother with computer logging or HRD at all, but yes, there are two Macs in my shack.

Typing this on a MacBook PRO and over on my main desk is a Mac PRO (Gen. 6, the round one). Easiest damned computers to use in the world.:p

N6MEJ likes this.
  4. K6UDA

There's a lot of new features, including live uploads of new contacts.

5. AA5AZ

Will it upload to LoTW yet? That would be slick!

6. K6UDA

Not as far as I've seen.

W5OLI likes this.
  7. K7AK

K7AK Ham Member QRZ Page

The only mac in my shack is Mac and Cheese when I am using my PC.

KG7KMR, AA1PR, K0PIR and 1 other person like this.
  8. K9PLG

K9PLG Ham Member QRZ Page

I like Apple computers , but can't afford them, so I use cheap MS (or Linux) based PCs. Macs do just work , maybe because their OS is built on Open-BSD (a Unix derivative) that runs circles around Windows...
    I love NetLogger - as it does upload/download to both eQSL and LOTW, but it is really designed for logging contacts during a net (and showing you who's checked in).. but you can run it stand-alone & put in any call and log a contact with them and it can be setup to pull details for an entered callsign from QRZ (if you have an XML subsciption). It's available for MS, Macs, & Linux.... It was recently re-written and has lots of nice features along with pretty good help files (no manual really needed if you read the help).

K0PIR, AA5AZ and KJ4RZZ like this.
  9. S59GI

S59GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all. Any thoughts on RumlogNG? It's free and as powerfull as MLDX. Beside it is free. Give it a try.

G1JPV and K0PIR like this.
  10. AA5AZ

I downloaded RumlogNG a while back and purchased the iOS Rumlog package. It was incredibly confusing, first of all. It wasn't very intuitive whatsoever. Just my opinion. I wanted it because I thought it would automagically sync what was on my phone to the desktop. I never got that functionality to work.

11. AA5AZ

Just like I run a Windows VM on my Mac for HRD, I also have a Linux VM. When on Linux, I work with CQRLog which I find works extremely well. It really does all I need. I've got a Linux friend, also a fellow ham, that is consulting me on working with Linux, which is a learning curve. I tried taking an old desktop computer I built back in '03 and using it for a Linux box in the shack about five months ago and the software ran nicely on it, but the processor just crapped out. At Christmas, I took advantage of some of the NewEgg sales and purchased some hardware, about 20% of what I need, for a new computer. It will be an AMD 8 core processor machine, so it will be good for a long while.

The big issue I've had with Linux is getting N1MM+ to work on it using a Wine emulator or whatever. I have it working, but without rig control. That's not a big issue, because most contests don't care about recording frequency, just band.

K9PLG likes this.
  12. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I love the look of MacloggerDX and would love to try it someday. Maybe it would be worth getting a used Macbook and trying it out. Thanks and Happy New Year!

13. K4LDC

K4LDC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Love my Mac(s). In the "Extras" folder included with MLDX, there is an apple scrip program (DQSLManager) that will automate one click uploading of QSL's to LoTW. It will also download confirmations from LoTW and update your log accordingly. Works great!

MTPOCKETS likes this.
  14. W2MFT/SK2023

W2MFT/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Been using rum stuff for years now both rum log and rumped. Both work great!

15. WB0OEW

WB0OEW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use Aetherlog and it does automatic LoTW uploads (and eQSL).

Happy New Year to all.