ad: MyersEng-1

Satellite Show in Palm Springs 02/04/2017

Discussion in 'Hamfest and Convention Calendar' started by K6LCS, Dec 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AMSAT-NA, the ARRL, and AMSAT-UK will be well-represented at the upcoming
    Palm Springs HamFest at the beautiful Palm Springs Air Museum on Saturday,
    February 4, 2017.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS, will be presenting his “How to Work Amateur Satellites
    With Your HT” presentation at 11 a.m. Benefits of AMSAT and ARRL
    memberships are always included. Throughout the presentation, several lucky
    trivia question answerers will receive beautiful prints from NASA and other fun
    items. And attendees will learn a little about the AstroPi computers that are
    aboard the ISS, running programs developed by kids in Europe!

One of the raffle prizes K6LCS is donating to the HamFest is an AstroPi computer
    and SENSE HAT - the exact same hardware that is aboard the ISS! Throughout the
    presentation, several lucky trivia question answerers will receive beautiful prints
    from NASA archives.

Your admission fee INCLUDES access to the extraordinary exhibits at the Museum.
    Pre-sales NOW are only $8 … $10 at the door. What a great family experience at such
    a minimal cost! Food this year will be catered (but NOT expensive), and there are so
    many aspects of aviation and military history and amateur radio covered that everyone
    should find many things to do during the day.

The Palm Springs Air Museum is located at 745 North Gene Autry Trail, Palm Springs,
    CA 92262. The extravaganza is on Saturday, February 4, 2017, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30
    p.m. VE testing will be available this year from 9:00 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The speakers/forums are listed at …

http://palmspringshamfest.com/speakers/

Pre-sale tickets for only $8 are available at …

http://palmspringshamfest.com/entry-tickets-purchase/

Tentative satellites passes during the show include AO-73, AO-85, SO-50, the ISS, and
    several others!

See you in Palm Springs February 4, 2017!

Clint Bradford K6LCS
    (909) 999-SATS

2. K6LCS

Satellite pass data for the show will be published soon ... Pre-program your rigs and work a couple birds with us at the show!

The cutoff date for discounted pre-registration is January 15 - get your tix online NOW and save a couple bucks! And remember: Your admission ticket allows you to enjoy the Aviation Museum as well as attend the HamFest!

And children under 12 years of age are admitted FREE!

http://www.palmspringshamfest.com

Tentative passes during the event:
    NO-84 at 8:51AM
    AO-73 at 8:54AM
    DELFI C3 at 8:56AM
    AO-85 at 9:19AM
    EO-79 at 10:33AM
    UKUBE-1 at 12:10PM
    SO-50 at 12:11PM
    ISS Packet at 2:57PM

After 4PM, low elevation passes of CUTE-1, the XW-xx series, LilacSat-2, another ISS pass, and another AO-85 pass should occur.
    The handout will have frequency charts ... and I will publish it online before the event.

Clint Bradford
    909-999-SATS

3. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

I get that ARRL will be well-represented at this hamfest. It is an ARRL sanctioned event. I know that AMSAT will be there. That is listed on the Confirmed Vendors page of the hamfest's web site, and has been publicized by AMSAT on its web site and recent news bulletins (4 December and 10 December). I wasn't aware AMSAT-UK was sending anyone over to represent them.

I'm a member of AMSAT-UK, a fine organization, and I would expect there are going to be AMSAT-UK members present at this hamfest. That's different than saying that the organization will be represented or "well-represented" there. I will have AMSAT-UK's FUNcube project patches at the AMSAT booth in Palm Springs, but I won't go as far as saying I am representing AMSAT-UK.

"Just for accuracy's sake".

4. K6LCS

And it is great that you are properly representing what you are and what you are not doing. But your "promotional" posts lack, well, lack "promotion" ---

Like the event's Web site - gotta mention that all the time to make it easy for readers to find ...

And the fact that discounted tickets are available just through January 15 - so use the site's PayPal page to save a couple dollars on each today!

And kids under 12 years of age are admitted FREE!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  5. WD9EWK

I appreciate your recognition of the truthfulness in my post. Sometimes that escapes you, Mr. Bradford. Since you seem to lack that quality in how you have presented yourself at this hamfest in this thread, we'll let your words from another thread clarify what you meant by "well-represented"...

member_of_different_groups-2.jpg

I'm looking forward to being out there. You expressed your opinion about AMSAT and this hamfest clearly in that other thread...

I do not care whether or not AMSAT.jpg

The Palm Springs Hamfest extended AMSAT an invitation to their hamfest, and that invitation was accepted. The hamfest has now listed AMSAT as a confirmed vendor on its web site. AMSAT has listed this as an upcoming event on its web site where there will be an AMSAT presence, and that will be repeated in AMSAT News Service bulletins over the next few weeks. Word of mouth will also help spread the word. AMSAT's presence will be promoted via social media during the hamfest, too.

"Just for accuracy's sake."

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  6. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Any reason why you are planning to demo a sat that is now telemetry only like DO-64, but not the most popular linear transponder satellite in orbit, FO-29?

WD9EWK likes this.
  7. WD9EWK

I can't speak for Mr. Bradford, but I hear either WD9EWK or W3ZM/6 could be on FO-29 from the hamfest.

I have operated from the air museum a few years ago, after a past hamfest out there. It should be a good site for AMSAT satellite demonstrations during the hamfest.

73!

8. K6LCS

I have not published any passes that I will be working ... but FO-29 will be passing 50 degrees overhead at 9:31am for us ... and a 19-degree elevation pass at 11:17am. I am assisting the convention and working for a couple organizations for the early pass, and will be speaking, of course, at 11am.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  9. K6LCS

>> ... I wasn't aware AMSAT-UK was sending anyone over to represent them ...

As already stated, I will be representing AMSAT-UK, ARRL educational services, and ARISS at the Palm Springs extravaganza. During my presentation, at my table ... Oh, and the Astro Pi projects, too. And maybe even more ...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  10. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool. Do you have one of those "ham shirts" made up with patches representing all those organizations? Some guys like to get the button-up Dickies work shirts and sew on patches representing every club to which they belong. Looks real official.

WD9EWK likes this.
  11. K6LCS

12. K6LCS

A ham friend just advised me that her club members couldn't attend the upcoming
    Palm Springs HamFest on February 4, 2017 - because that is the day they hold
    their monthly meeting.

SOLUTION: Change the meeting place to the parking lot of the HamFest! Conduct
    your 20 minutes of true club business, then adjourn and attend/support your fellow
    hams at the beautiful Palm Springs Air Museum! Carpool four to a car. Make it an
    EVENT for the club! Discounted admission online at ...

... is just eight bucks through January 15 - then ten dollars after that. And your
    children under 12 years of age get in FREE! That's NOT just for the Ham Fest - but
    also access to the phenomenal exhibits at the Museum!

MAKE IT HAPPEN! Shake things up a little ... (grin). This reminds me of when my
    wife was president of our local Rotary club. One regular weekly lunch meeting,
    everyone was on time, and she clanged the opening bell and announced from the
    podium, "OK, everyone - let's march outside to the waiting bus: We are having lunch
    today at our local senior center." And outside was a fellow Rotarian in the Center's
    comfortable bus. It came off wonderfully ...

Clint K6LCS

PS And for every under-12-years-of-age attendee, I will have at my table a truly beautiful
    4x6" photograph from NASA of a scene that we'll never see again - with no shuttle program:
    the silhouette of the space shuttle Endeavour over Earth's colorful horizon n the photo
    by an Expedition 22 crew member on board the International Space Station - as the
    shuttle approached for its last docking during the STS-130 mission.

13. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Awesome location, my favorite hamfest at one of my favorite museums.

14. K6LCS

Wow ... a TRIPLE CROWN event for you!

Please drop by my table ... I have a gift for you.

Clint K6LCS