ad: chuckmartin

HamRadioReviews: TYT MD-398 Power Test [Video]

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by SV2RMK, Dec 9, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. SV2RMK

SV2RMK Ham Member QRZ Page

In this week's video I am doing a power test on the TYT MD-398 DMR radio.

[​IMG]

This is a DMR radio from TYT, with a claimed output power of 10W on high.

Here is the video and more: https://wp.me/p800qu-as

HamRadioReviews on Instagram: @hamradioreviews
    Facebook: @hamradioreviews
    Twitter: @hamradioreviews

2. W5YAG

W5YAG Ham Member QRZ Page

A 10 watt HT seems ridiculous to me.

SV2RMK likes this.
  3. SV2RMK

Well, if you set it on high and transmitting in front of your face on high power with a rubber ducky, yet it is a bit ridiculous.

4. WB6CSH

WB6CSH Ham Member QRZ Page

The video would be useful if the ¨producer¨ had shown an up-close video of the watt meter rather than relying on his narrative on what HE SAW!

SV2RMK likes this.
  5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this one of the banned "DMR" radios that transmits on both time slots at once?

SV2RMK likes this.
  6. W2JBL

W2JBL Ham Member QRZ Page

A ham friend of mine just gave me one of these to program. I soon discovered it was not FCC type accepted for ANY radio service and capable of being programmed for non amatuer services. Last time I checked it was illegal to market such gear in the US. I work in the two way radio industry and over the last year or so I'm finding some of my customers are buying this crap to use for their respective (public safety) agencies. Where is the FCC with all these things flooding the market? Is it right that a bad guy can buy one on Amazon and go jam his local PD?

SV2RMK likes this.
  7. SV2RMK

I suppose if you view it fullscreen, it is visible. I'll have it in mind next time to zoom in a bit closer to the meter, thanks!

It does not support two time slots, that's for sure.

The sticker on the back does have both FCC and CE markings. Not sure how to check if these are true or not.

8. F4VPR

F4VPR Ham Member QRZ Page

The manual "should" quote your FCC approval number and "should" also carry an EU certificate of conformity with approval numbers. From there perhaps Google would be your friend. . . . . .
    R.

SV2RMK likes this.
  9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought I read somewhere that there was later firmware to get this model and the Baofeng unit to work with tier 2 -- but I don't know if this can be done by the user.

SV2RMK likes this.
  10. SV2RMK

Neither is 100% accurate. The earlier Baofeng DM-5Rs needed to be upgraded to be able to communicate simplex with Tier II radios. It still does not support two time slots, even after the update. Checkout my upgrade video here: https://wp.me/p800qu-7a

The TYT MD-398 cannot be upgraded to support two time slots through firmware. It is a hardware issue.

11. N8QZH

N8QZH Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, guy puts His time and effort into a video to provide infomation for others. And all they can do is trash his work......Typical ,

SV2RMK likes this.