ad: elecraft

Parity ACT HR1301 Dies in Senate

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Dec 10, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

They're not my statistics. CAI provided it (link). I was wrong (or the percentage decreased)... the number in 2015 was 21.1% nationally.
    Of course, no mater how high/low the percentage, we still have the problem of [lack of] sufficient currently-valid reason to abrogate freely-signed contracts/agreements/promises/whatever so hams can erect an outdoor antenna. So far, the authors/supporters/followers of the legislation have provided only evidence/testimony that hams ARE providing public service. IMO, most hams just want to ragchew/DX/contest... and there are alternatives that can be used RIGHT NOW that won't step on those contracts/agreements/promises/whatever.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

His point is that HOAs in rural areas arent written for aesthetics, but road upkeep, water rights, plowing , and even 3 barb wire fencing. Because these contracts have an ...'and matters that arise' verbiage, these rural HOAs would automstically become responsible for antennas, like it or not,the way that the bill was worded.

KY5U likes this.
  3. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

YAWN.

Let us not forget the problem of the sufficient valid reason to abrogate freely signed-signed contracts/agreements/promises/whatever so other HOA homeowners could install satellite dishes and other outside antennas.

Those antennas did not hurt the HOA communities any more than ham radio antennas would.

4. WA7PRC

Dear Tom,
    Thanks for your opinion...
    ...and have a nice day. :)
    vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC

5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe now the ARRL can work on legislation for issues they can actually win. Canceling CC&Rs was a losing battle from the start, and it was going to be tied up in the courts for a decade or more. It's borderline unconstitutional, among other things.

Since federal law has preempted RFI law, making the FCC the "supreme court for RFI," maybe it's time for ARRL to push for congress to require FCC to actually enforce RFI cases? There are all kinds of ways this can be done, from regulating the RF cleanliness of electronic devices, to properly staffing and funding of enforcement activities at the commission. The FCC's jurisdiction over RFI is well-tested by the courts, and it will benefit those in HOAs as well as the rest of us. That means my ARRL dues will support legislation that helps me too, and not just people who signed away their right to a tower in their yard.

Accept the loss, ARRL. Move on to issues that help all of us.

W9JEF, KM4ZQI and KO2LA like this.
  6. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

My house in NM had an HOA that expired after 25 years. It expired about the time we bought the place. I was free to put up antennas then. I think that many people here cry that NOTHING is available without an HOA, what they mean is they demand to have a NEW home without one and that is difficult. I have never owned a new home, don't know what that's like but evidently some here think homes wear out like cars and need to be junked after five years. It doesn't work that way. Personally I like having tall mature trees (antenna supports!) in the neighborhood and that is rare in new developments.

KC2UGV likes this.
  7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

perfect example of why we still need the FCC. (contrary to the other thread)

KG7VTO likes this.
  8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha! I was gonna tease you about that Chip! Had to blink my eyes, I thought it was correct or different when first posted. Must be some of that new "curating" of news that Fred mentioned awhile back. I see the title is now misspelled "Amater ...", at least they didn't use the more common form "Amature" ... yet. o_O

9. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

This statement makes me think that you didn't read the act. The bill really doesn't do anything more than give you the right to a legal appeal after they HOA tells you no. This was discussed to death a while back. There are simply no real protections in the bill. As most things political, it was compromised to the point of worthless, where just getting something passed was the goal to justify the time, effort and money. In fact, the passage of a compromise act is far worse than not having any act at all. The act would have limited the scope of any argument you could make against the HOA, which would be given the right of final review and approval over any of your antenna projects. That alone renders the act potentially more harmful than good.

Bottom line is that the act would have not helped you in your search in any meaningful way. There are plenty of places that don't have HOAs. But if you want a "neighborhood community" it is something you'll have to deal with. I too am looking for a retirement property. I'm looking for Acres not neighbors.

Thanks,

Ed

KM4ZQI likes this.
  10. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

YAWN. Anyone can cut and paste Brian. Keep trying.

11. WA4YBC

WA4YBC Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless a Ham Antenna Parity law is passed that explicitly gives the right to a ham to put an antenna, the HOAs will find ways not to allow a ham to put up an antenna. HOAs have been given much power, and they will use their power. Anyone that believes an HOA will graciously negotiate an acceptable ham antenna are not living in the real world. The Antenna Parity Act needs to spell out in plain English what antennas are acceptable, such as wire dipoles, or verticals. Leaving the question of what antennas are acceptable up to HOA interpretation is worthless, and will not help.

12. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Any political capital expended for the benefit of our hobby must impact all members of the hobby and not just the special interest.

13. WA7PRC

Dear Tom,
    CUT and paste? No. COPY and paste? No. I simply typed it. And again, just for you:
    Thanks for your opinion...
    ...and have a nice day. :)
    vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC

14. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With all due respect, you have a choice where to live in America. You have a choice where to work. You have a choice where to retire. If you choose to live, buy or rent into a deed restricted, HOA governed or condo association property IT IS YOUR CHOICE. I thought it was social justice warriors who make their choices and demand others to accept it. I have rejected property when finding HOA or deed restrictions in place. Local zoning is different, we fight those. All that being said, an enormous amount of ham radio fun can be had with restricted, stealth or compromise antennas. One does not need a 70ft tower to operate amateur radio. Most hams are freedom loving small government few regulation type individuals so why force others to comply with your desires. Finally, as has been said, giving these HOAs and condo associations more legal power than they already have with federal law is obviously not a good thing. If stuck in such a location due to a bad choice, then work to change the management to your point of view with votes, education and conversion.

KC2UGV, W9JEF, KM4ZQI and 2 others like this.
  15. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

In My Opinion. Thank you for your insight , well said.