ad: ProAudio-1

The MDSR RF-Seismograph now creates a web propagation list in real time

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Nov 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Image is displayed in real time (updated every 10 minutes)

Hi Everybody;

The MDSR team has now developed a propagation list generator for the web. This generator takes the propagation findings and creates a color coded list converts it to html and then uploads it to the web. This way the information is shared for everybody. Local amateurs can use the information to see if the band conditions are good for DX in almost real time.

At this moment the scanner only scans bands below 50MHz, but we are having plans on setting up a second monitoring station for 6m, 2m and 70cm.

The Lynn Valley MDSR station's propagation can be seen here:

http://www3.telus.net/public/bc237/MDSR/propList.htm

The noise graph measurement and the propagation indicator can be seen on our website updated every 10 min.

We also looking for volunteers that are interested in setting up a RF-Seismograph for monitoring the Solar Eclipse in August 2017. Please join the MDSR Yahoo user group. The test is fully automated so once it set up and running it leaves the operator free to do other things, like watching the eclipse. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/mdsradio/info

The LIF2016 and the MDSR software work with a multitude of professional HF transceivers!

If you are interested in setting up a RF Seismograph for your location please go to our website for more information.

http://users.skynet.be/myspace/mdsr/

All the best and 73;

Alex - VE7DXW

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is very cool. I was involved in some very early "skymapping" projects at Hipas Observatory.....long before the reverse beacon network was available. We barely had the internet. :) Great to see this moving forward!

3. VE7DXW

Thank you for your comment. ...

Developing the RF-Seismograph was a lot of fun and exploring the noise level around us is a great way to eliminate some of the local nose that every station nowadays has to deal with.
    Are you interested in setting up a RF-Seismograph at your station?

All the best ;

Alex - VE7DXW

4. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KL7AJ

Hi Alex. New developments along that front here. I'd like to talk to you offline about this.
    Eric

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very Cool.

7. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

WR2E likes this.
  8. KW4HQ

KW4HQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wonder if everyone should adopt a standard set of colors for these bands. I see PSKreporter and even Hustler antenna traps all using different colors.

Just my 2cents.

9. KL7AJ

If the data is available as a CSV file you can use your own plotting software and choose any colors you like. I'll have to check this out.

10. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So this is like a WSPR type system? Low power tx picked up and reported to web by other stations?
    C

11. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Measures PSI in the seat of the ham's operating chair. Also seismograph measures disturbances in the seat covering caused by rumbling.

12. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny har har.

13. VE7DXW

It is similar to that. It only uses RX and can therefore be on even if the user is not around.

The RF-Seismograph can be set to any frequency the receiver can handle. During the development we found that measuring the popular JT-65 signals are great for getting a propagation report. The advantage it has over regular beacons is that the JT-65 frequency can come from any direction. It will therefore have a more global reading of where the propagation is really coming from. Beacons kinda work backwards to what Hams really need - not the propagation from the beacon side. RF-Seismograph measures the propagation that matters to you - at your location!

All the best and 73;

Alex

14. VE7DXW

I did not know that this causes propagation too...

15. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes it can and it causes splatter too!