ad: Schulman-1

Arctic Circle Field Day with the Chameleon Windom 40

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Nov 20, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello operators.
    This time around, I travel north to the Arctic Circle (KP26TJ) to test the Chameleon Windom 40 antenna. Using my new Portable WSPR/DigiMode Test kit, I put the antenna through its paces in an environment few operators would ever consider operating.

Goals for the deployment were:
    • Making our way to the operating location.
    • Setting up camp.
    • Deploying the Windom 40 in an NVIS friendly configuration.
    • Using the Portable WSPR test kit, to reach out to stations found within NVIS range, but not necessarily using NVIS antenna configurations themselves.
    • Find any problems with the gear and consider improvements.
    As always, getting out in the field to test my gear gives a better since of performance and reliability under less than ideal conditions.

de OH8STN

K9ASE, N6SPP, AL4Y and 1 other person like this.
  2. ZL1PDT

ZL1PDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice I like the small antennas loos good but it is to cold out in your woode field day for me ,
    73 keep it up I do enjoy,Pieter, ZL1PDT New Zealand

OH8STN likes this.
  3. KZ3H

KZ3H Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm using the mini (IC7200) and a micro (with the FT 817ND), getting good results in the sloped and L shaped configurations - voice an digital. KZ3H

OH8STN likes this.
  4. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video! Just ordered me one of these antennas! Can never have too many Chameleon Antennas!

OH8STN likes this.
  5. KP4KPA

KP4KPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

In you experience,recomended instalation inverted V or horizontal?
    My email es qrzapolo@gmail.com

thank

OH8STN likes this.
  6. OH8STN

To be honest, I've had better success with inverted V than with horizontal, but I haven't done an balance number of testing with both configurations. Most of my operating locations are surrounded by trees (tall birch and spruce). so it's easier for me to deploy an inverted V then it is horizontal at the same height. That's the reason for the mismatch in testing.

7. OH8STN

Nice! I really didn't see the offer coming from Chameleon. It's nice that they reach out to the subscribers, from time to time.
    Thanks for watching. It's very much appreciated!

8. OH8STN

Agreed, I've got the Micro and find the same. I use the whip when there is no choice, but sloping or Inverted v are my favs.

KP4KPA likes this.
  9. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I ran a Windom once on a campout. Had so much RF that I couldn't run digital through the SignaLink.

10. OH8STN

I totally agree with you! There are so many poorly made antennas out there, commercial and homebrew. Thankfully this one isn't one of them. I'm happy to say this antenna is reasonably quiet. I did have a noise problem once, but traced it to a poorly made Chinese (Baofeng) power supply a company sent along with some gear to be tested. Straight to the trash, and no more noise.
    Anyway, most of the time noise is a product of the junk in or around your operating location. Get rid of the junk, sort our your grounding, gets rid of the noise.

Thanks for your comment. It really points out the need for quality gear.

de OH8STN

11. VE3NLS

VE3NLS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Jim ( HH2/VA3MPG) Just finished a 12 month tour with the RCMP down in Haiti and used the CHA-Mil and other Chameleon antennas. 7000+ contacts in a year. They worked GREAT!

He just left Haiti this morning to return to Ontario and normalcy !!

If you worked Jim see My QRZ page for details.

And good luck OH8STN with your DXpedition. I will be looking for you!
    Ronnie
    VE3NLS

OH8STN likes this.
  12. PY5AL

PY5AL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

PY5AL. I like this very much. 73 for all.

OH8STN likes this.