ad: elecraft

Earthquake and Tsunami New Zealand

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4L5A, Nov 13, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. 4L5A

4L5A QRZ Lifetime Member #68 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

W4TGA likes this.
  2. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

hear qsos there at the moment

3. WA6AM

WA6AM Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the freq for the Maritime Mobile Service Net. MMSN.org.
    Hope all are well in New Zealand.

4. NI9Y

NI9Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

God Speed.

5. K0MAN

K0MAN Ham Member QRZ Page

My prayers are for you.

CN8VO likes this.
  6. VK2WP

VK2WP Ham Member QRZ Page

Likewise, my thoughts are with our ZL friends and their families.

7. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard it while lying in bed listening to BBC radio on my internet radio this morning so I switched to a local NZ station.

It's serious with two people dead but it could have been very much worse if it had been closer to one of the bigger cities. It seems like aftershocks have been happening every few minutes for hours.
    A few towns are cut off because of road and bridge damage.
    There's some damage to highrise buildings and roads in Wellington, the capital. It looks to be mostly cosmetic damage, broken windows etc. People are being told to stay away from the central city today but Wellington is expected to be pretty much back to normal tomorrow.
    The tsunami didn't really eventuate. There were some bigger than normal waves but the threat warning has been lifted.

So ... it's bad enough but they're very lucky it wasn't worse.

Ross
    (Ex ZL1BNV)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    K9ASE likes this.
  8. CN8VO

CN8VO Ham Member QRZ Page

9. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

10. CN8VO

CN8VO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully the tsunamis didn't go too far inland or cause too much damage

11. LU9FMS

LU9FMS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's very hard! I hope everyone is alright.

Just like many other hams around the globe, my thoughts are with our newzealander friends as well as their families.

12. KB0OXT

KB0OXT Ham Member QRZ Page

13. VK2WP

Heard on our local midday news that there has been a lot of infrastructure damage, roads, communications. Some remote areas are out of contact and the NZ Army has been mobilised to take communications equipment to those areas.

Pretty bad scene.

There is no news on the NZ Amateur radio site of any radio amateur involvement as yet.

Have not heard any ZL's this morning but then I cannot listen to every band.

14. VK2WP

Just heard 0317Z 14.300MHz a ZL amateur give a position report to the maritime net. The earthquake has pretty well isolated the S. island with damage to infrastructure.

Wellington city is a no go zone with damage to buildings until all is assesed by authorities.

Many roads are in the centre of the S. Island are damaged and impassable. The main rail line is cut.

Mains power has been cut to many areas.

Many horror stories with injuries and sadly two persons deceased.

14.300MHz is being used for emergency traffic and request to all non essential callers to stay clear.

15. ZL3IO

ZL3IO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi
    It was a heavy and long main quake and could be felt many hundred km/miles away. Since then we had hundreds of aftershocks (http://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/felt) with a heavy 6.3 one about 4 hours ago. In a 150 km radius (~100 miles) of the epi centre is also structural damage and power outages were in a 50 km radius with most of it already back to the grid. It seems that structural damage was bigger to the North --> Wellington on the North Island got hit very bad as well and CBD of the capital was to be investigated first to determine if buildings are safe. Therefore people were asked not to come to work into the CBD today. That was to prevent traffic chaos and keep people out of the way as no access to buildings was allowed before being accessed.
    The communication (phones/cellphone etc.) was operational most of the time with only minor impact (mainly phone lines cut). New Zealand (unfortunately or luckily?) has extensive experience in disaster management and in general the situation was managed very professional and always under control. I haven't heard of any Tsunami damage and waves at our place were only between 1-2 m.
    The radio folks from our local DXing reflector seem all to be okay but surely have other problems than radioing now. The big quake was around midnight, so plenty of us had a sleepless night and the shakes created a lot of mess that needs to be cleaned up now.

My tower was dancing like snake trying to balance the beam and it looked really frightening.

73 Holger, ZL3IO/ZM4T