ad: TinyPaddle-1

HamRadioReviews: TYT MD-398 Unboxing [Video]

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by SV2RMK, Nov 3, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. SV2RMK

SV2RMK Ham Member QRZ Page

In this week's video, I am unboxing the TYT MD-398 GPS.

[​IMG]

This model is the GPS version. It also comes in a version without GPS. This is a pre-release model, however, it is identical to the Radioddity GD-55 model. Enjoy: https://wp.me/p800qu-6Y

HamRadioReviews on Instagram: @hamradioreviews
    Facebook: @hamradioreviews
    Twitter: @hamradioreviews

2. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

ATTENTION.... some ham-radio have discovery that the Radioddity GD-55 is not an DMR for use for ham-radio operators ! please control this !

SV2RMK likes this.
  3. PD8B

PD8B Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

this radio should connect to trier 1 and trier 2 together. so when used the operators from the dmr servers won't be very happy. maybe wait a while before buying this radio!
    I think it will be fixed with a firmware upgrade? the baofeng 5r and the Radioddity GD-55 have the same issue. Don't know why they programmed this.
    73!

SV2RMK likes this.
  4. SV2RMK

Yes, it does not support two time slots. Not sure why. It is a hardware issue. A firmware upgrade cannot correct this.

5. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

curiosity case this ! NOW.. this radio as Tier-II and support repeaters an d the TG ??? is ok or not for ham-radio ?

SV2RMK likes this.
  6. SV2RMK

It does not support two time slots, only one. So, it is not suitable for accessing DMR repeaters utilising two time slots. Other than that, it is suitable for ham radio, yes.

TYT told me that they will release a hardware upgrade. We will know probably next month. Thanks!

7. IK8JHL

IK8JHL Ham Member QRZ Page

Its'possible to make QSOs in Ham DMR, but they create several problems.
    The radio automatically receives the slot 1 or 2, but when he goes' in TX just goes on slot 2.
    So if the QSO is in slot 1, we're going to move the QSO on 2, causing loss of QSOs to those amateur radio operators
    tuned in to that repeater.
    But even if the current QSO was using slot 2, the radio transmits a continuous carrier , thus locking the slot 2

SV2RMK likes this.