ad: M2Ant-1

California AB-1785 signed - Bans Ham Radio Usage in Vehicle

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6ZOO, Oct 27, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K6ZOO

K6ZOO Ham Member QRZ Page

WJ6F likes this.
  2. KF6AJM

KF6AJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow... California stuck it in us once again. I hate this state. And I mean HATE.

WJ6F, KK4AC, NA1S and 8 others like this.
  3. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

While I don't like the restriction either, the title "bans ham radio useage" is a bit extreme. I read it as prohibiting holding a HT or perhaps a microphone, while driving, yet still allow head-set VOX or foot switch operation, as long as you're hand isn't on the "big knob" continuously. Of course, CW ops in motion are screwed ...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

The nanny state strikes again!

Steve
    KV6O

WF9Q, KK4AC, N4GST and 6 others like this.
  5. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why is this an issue now, what about CB 40 years ago. nothing about distracted driving then.
    and now it is an issue.

KF4ZKU, K8AI, N4GST and 2 others like this.
  6. K0NXM

K0NXM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm all against frivolous legislation, but what do we hams have to say that is more important than 100% attentive driving? I have done a bunch of mobile hamming, and could have pulled over to key the mic every time. I support this law, so long as it bans cellular phone operation as well, and not until then (...in other words, never).

KB5YQT, KK4CCA and N0AMY like this.
  7. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

So - police, ambulance, politicians and their Secret Service body guards will obey this too - riiiiight ? Or is this regulation only for the lower classes ?

KF4ZKU, KG6TGU, KA4DPO and 11 others like this.
  8. W6DIZ

W6DIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, KONXM if you live in Kansas I guess you could pull over and key the mic every time..LOL... a little different here though.. that would be a little rough on the 405 ... just more Cali legislation that is not needed. Next will be a background check to buy antennas.. 73 de W6DIZ

N4GST, W2MS, KB7UXE and 5 others like this.
  9. N3SFL

N3SFL Ham Member QRZ Page

What a bunch of bull

N4GST, KF6AJM, KK4VRE and 3 others like this.
  10. N0AMY

N0AMY Ham Member QRZ Page

COMMUNIST CALIFORNIA..

N4GST and KF6AJM like this.
  11. N0AMY

N0AMY Ham Member QRZ Page

WE HAD FREEDOM BACK THEN.. NOW WE LIVE IN A POLICE STATE AMERICA..

K8AI, N4GST and KF6AJM like this.
  12. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

If you read it you will find:
    Happy I moved outta CA 10 + years ago now!

Steve
    KV6O

N4GST likes this.
  13. N3BEN

N3BEN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, just another reason to leave this horrible state. CA is WORTHLESS!!! I love how the government needs to regulate everything I do. I wonder if they will tell me I can only use my right hand to use the device?

N4GST and KF6AJM like this.
  14. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Might want to check that one out. Many states have laws about wearing a head set while driving. It restricts your hearing is why it is banned in some states.

15. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

You can thank stupid people that talk on their cell phones while driving and are not paying attention to their driving. I see it all the time here. If I see someone driving bad I always suspect they are on their phone and when I get up to them I am right. They are on their phone. Talking or texting. I am against using your cell phone while driving about as strongly as I am against drunk drivers. I never use my cell phone while driving but that is my opinion.

N4GST and K5PHW like this.